Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sally Oldfield!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Archangel Foster Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 22 2000, 12:10

Now here's a 'related artist'!
Today I've bought a Sally Oldfield CD at last! It's a cheap compilation with pieces from '78 to '83. After listening to it a bit I can say that although there are some things I don't like very much, there are at least two songs I've already fallen in love with: 'Water Bearer' and 'The Sun In My Eyes'. While the songs themselves are not Mike-like at all, the sound and arrangements certainly are. Has Mike done them?
What do you think about Sally?

PS. There's obviously a strong Kate Bush influence with Sally. Wouldn't it be interesting if Mike and Kate Bush worked together?
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 12 2001, 14:45

I only know her album "Water bearer" that I like very much. As far as I know, Mike hasn't anything to do with it, at least he is not mentioned on the cover.
Belthazar Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2001, 16:49

Ah ha ha ha.... "related artist"... that works on so many levels

--------------
Belthazar
That's Bravo Echo Lima Tango Hotel Alpha Zulu Alpha Romeo

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana
-- Groucho Marx

Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 05:55

Actually. even if it's not mentioned anywhere, I'm pretty sure Mike had a hand in it. The sound of the whole thing is so Mike-like. Not the compsitions, not at all, but the way they're arranged. Those marimbas really bring to mind Incantations.
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 13:12

Indeed, Incantations was recorded at the same time. But who copied from whom, I don't know.
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: July 05 2001, 08:16

I've heard a few Sally Oldfield songs on mp3.
Some of them are really good, like "This is my song" and "Morning of my life". There are other songs I don't like at all. She's got a very special voice that takes a while to get used to.

Now I'd like to know if she writes her own songs? If not, who's written the songs I mentioned for example? Has Mike written songs for her?

I'm listening to "Waterbearer" right now. I don't like the song, but it's funny how the xylophone track sounds very similar to the one in "Incantations part 4 (Hymn to Diana)". And the previous song I listened to *also* had those vibes... Strange.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 05 2001, 21:23

I don't know if this has any bearing on things, but Sally had Tom Newman produce some of her albums (I'm not sure how many exactly, I don't own any).
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: May 04 2002, 04:37

Sally writes her own songs and plays most, if not all of the instruments on The Water Bearer album. Guitarist Nico Ramsden has played on a couple of Sally's albums, as well as toured with Mike!!

I think Sally's voice is very like early Marianne Faithful - they were friends years ago, so perhaps they had the same vocal teacher? Their voices and vibratos are very similar.
Profile PM 
7 replies since Dec. 22 2000, 12:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net