Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: SALLY FOR DOWNLOAD HERE!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dafter88 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 07 2006, 18:13

Oh my God! I almost started to cry when I first heard it, and then I just started to laugh. It´s wonderful, simply wonderful! And then I really almost bursted to tears when the bridge to Punkadiddle started (which I by the way have heard plenaty of times). I remember how it all confused me when I borrowed Platinum from my friends mom. Now a finally can rest, and just enjoy! Thanks!
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2006, 07:40

I heard the sally mp3.  I like the references to punkadiddle, but I wouldn't call it "fading into"; punkadiddle starts very brutal and suddenly.

Nonetheless, it is a nice song with a catchy chorus. NO matter who's the ape and who's the gorilla :D.

Some parts are identical to the music in "into wonderland" indeed.  But you say that the start of the mp3 is NOT the end of woodhenge? It sounds identical to me, only the starting sounds come more fluently in "sally" than these sounds were mixed between woodhenge and into wonderland...

I like "Into Wonderland" as well, I love the very happy part in the middle. IT sounds as if somebody walked onto the stage, played his part, excused himself and went away :).  But Sally has more referenes, and therefore it is better for the flow of the album.
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2006, 07:59

Of course, MO lyrics are never too clear and these needed to be disguised a bit, but here's how I interpret them:

Isn't it good to know
You only get one go?
Give me a key and let me see.
Try and act normally!

A hard part. I think it's MO laughing at RB that he'd have to do things very well (honest, natural, normal) to win Sally, and he would like to see how RB makes a fool out of himself when trying to impress Sally.

Seems it's an ancient art
To be the one who starts it rolling.
Wouldn't you like to know the way?
Hear what the wise man say.

In the same line of reasoning, MO says it isn't easy to win a heart, and that RB could learn from him.

Sally, I'm just a gorilla.
I'll say I'll love you ever more.
Even an ape from Manila
Couldn't stop me knocking on your door!

MO saying to Sally that he's just a simple, gentle person (the gorilla) and that he loves her. And that RB (the fancy ape) could never come between them.

One and a-one make two.
Only you must come through.
If there's a way, then let me say:
I'd rather stay with you.

MO and Sally are a couple, but RB wants to come between them. MO says to Sally that he wants to stay with her. So the first "you" is RB, the second one is Sally.

Of course, this is just my guess.  It appears to me that MO is saying in unclear owrds that he simply but truly loves her, and that he is not impressed by the forced attempts of RB to win her heart.

Now if "sally" refers to MO's sister, I'm lost :D.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2006, 16:31

I love this track too!!!
It's really funny!! And the singing is great  :D

But it's a shame they changed this one for the other song... that's an ok song, but not as nice as this!!

PLATINUM =  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2006, 16:37

As a separate song, I like "into Wonderland".  However, the musical links in the album and the story behind it make me prefer Sally in the Platinum album.  Certainly after multiple listenings.  That chorus is magic :D.

And though Punkadiddle is announced nicely, I still think it comes in in a brute way, no fluent fading from sally to punkadiddle when Punkadiddle actually starts.
Profile PM 
Dorian36 Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2006, 09:06

Finally, I managed to get Sally on MP3 a few weeks ago... it is deffinitely much better song than "Into wonderland" - at first, it was hard to think of it as a substitute, because I bought my Platinum LP when I was a teenager and so it is only natural for me when I sing to myself that "Woodhenge" continues to "Into wonderland"... but, as the others have pointed out, "Sally" is a REAL Platinum track, it is included several times throughout the album, like on "Airborne"... and, what makes this track outstanding, is a perfect way that Mikes linked it to "Punkadiddle" - yes, it is brutal in a way, but the music doesn't stop like it does on "Into wonderland"...
I don't quite get it why they didn't make HDCD version of Platinum with Sally - it would only make sense.
After so many years of enjoying Mike's music, he managed to take my breath away once more!
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2006, 09:39

Well thank you for bringing this thread back.  Somehow I have managed to miss it until now.  I just downloaded the track and I think it is fabulous.  Obviously it was not intended to be serious.  But is that really Mike singing?  Makes me laugh and smile and cry just like someone else said.  Terrific!!

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2006, 16:40

Quote (olracUK @ Aug. 13 2003, 22:46)
Got the track. Having heard it for the first time, and on this version, i see why branson didn't want it on. It just isn't very good. Even On horseback has better vocals.

any idea why sally has been added to guilty on this? :O

Hey what's wrong with On Horseback,  I love it  has that childlike innocence about it, What a great note to end Ommadawn on   :D .

Re Sally, yes I like it, I think Sally was meant to be humourous, made me laugh   :laugh: .

Nicolas   Posted on Jan. 18 2006, 13:59Of course, MO lyrics are never too clear and these needed to be disguised a bit, but here's how I interpret them:

Isn't it good to know
You only get one go?
Give me a key and let me see.
Try and act normally!

Sally, I'm just a gorilla.
I'll say I'll love you ever more.
Even an ape from Manila
Couldn't stop me knocking on your door!

MO saying to Sally that he's just a simple, gentle person (the gorilla) and that he loves her. And that RB (the fancy ape) could never come between them.

RB as a fancy ape, I love it

:laugh:

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2006, 03:09

I haven't heard "Sally" yet,but the lyrics are amusing & especially for me the "try and act normaly" line &,the last two lines :D Definately should have been included IMO.But of course,Richard Branson would have been focusing on the potential money making wouldn't he?  I mean,surely to goodness he didn't give "Sally" the thumbs down because of his own personal feelings toward it?
Profile PM 
dM Flimp Offline

Posted: July 07 2006, 14:18

i have the best recording of SALLY you can find! i recorded it right from the record to my computer!no pops or crakels or skips! PERFECT!!!!!!!!!! : :D

--------------
Kraftwerk

Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn.
Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal,
Die Sonne scheint mit Glitzerstrahl.
Profile PM 
dM Flimp Offline

Posted: July 07 2006, 14:19

send me a message or gmail me to get it at dermittwoch@gmail.com

--------------
Kraftwerk

Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn.
Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal,
Die Sonne scheint mit Glitzerstrahl.
Profile PM 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 07:13

Quote (Jammer @ May 21 2004, 18:28)
http://www.btinternet.com/~adzy31 still works

as of May 2004

This file of Platinum (the complete album) still includes "Into Wonderland". I thought it was meant to hear how "Sally" sounded in its original context?
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: April 25 2007, 09:45

I just heard Sally for the first time. I can't say I like it at all.
It's pretty bad.

The soloing from Mike is pretty ok though.
Thanks for the link anyway.

Cheers.
Profile PM 
52 replies since Mar. 06 2002, 03:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net