Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sales?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 19 2006, 17:43

i love light + shade, and it could have been a hit if the radio stations and mercury records pushed it out.  i would never know when mike releases an album if i did not have internet access.  mike should appear on tv to perform his music
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 07:34

Not to sound harsh, but it's Mikes own fault it didn't become a bigger succes. He should have done more promotion and of course a tour to go with it!!
:)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 07:59

So, success cannot be based mainly upon the quality of the music then?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 08:01

Well... I first added to my post 'and the music could have been better too perhaps' ...
but that seemed to be a bit harsh, so I left that out.
Yes, L&S is quite enjoyable, but by far from the same standard as what he did in the 90's.
So yes, of course the songs themselves are important. But the album, being what it is, could have been succesfull by promotion and touring.  :)

Sadly, I think that quality only is not enough anymore these days to make it sell millions...

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 12:26

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Oct. 20 2006, 09:34)
Not to sound harsh, but it's Mikes own fault it didn't become a bigger succes. He should have done more promotion and of course a tour to go with it!!
:)

For Mike L+S was much a personal experience that the thought that it wasn't cool to promote more as well as getting on tour....

But why,since Shade is really really cool :/  Hope to see at least one tune from L+S on Nokia Night of the Proms in December,fingers crossed here  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
afghan Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2006, 14:30

I cant agree that mike does not care about being popular ,i think he has tried loads of ways to be this ,you just have to look at the diversity of his albums .If anything he has tried to hard .I think when you have been around as long as mike (which i think is a good thing) an artist has to change ,but this can have a knock on efect to your "popularity" .In this day and age you must promote your material properly if not only becauce of the vast choice there is today .Why make music if no one is going to listen to it ,but that is the job of his management team.I know this has changed so maybe we wil see a diffrence with his next release . :D

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 07:13

i think for any mike oldfield cd to be a hit, then mike should appear in public, and the record company to launch it.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 16:31

Quote (arron11196 @ Oct. 20 2006, 07:59)

I can't believe this question went for so long without an answer.

Maybe the answer is too obvious to be stated? :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 19:12

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 12 2007, 21:31)
Quote (arron11196 @ Oct. 20 2006, 07:59)

I can't believe this question went for so long without an answer.

Maybe the answer is too obvious to be stated? :)

Here goes then an answer................

Youv'e only got to look at the success of Tubular Bells  :D.

I don't think this needs any elaboration, but Mike didn't tour with  TB apart from The Queen Elizabeth Hall,( was there one other performance??? ) and also playing live for the  "Second House" TV programme. This Second House performance did the rounds, but without actually appearing in person to promote and perform, Tubular Bells has become the biggest selling instrumental album of all time.

I guess it must've cost a fortune to take a , I can't think how many musicians on tour, so I guess RB had faith in Tubular Bells being a success       :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 21:03

Well, the answer I was thinking of was more of "No, success of music doesn't depend only on its quality". That's all I meant to say.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2007, 18:12

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 13 2007, 02:03)
Well, the answer I was thinking of was more of "No, success of music doesn't depend only on its quality". That's all I meant to say.

True, if the success of music depended upon quality alone then that doesn't account for the likes of Boyzone or Westlife reaching No.1 :/ , yet there's bands such as IQ who don't make it ner the charts   :O .  I guess IQ are more of a band with a cult following, I know the band members have day jobs too.   Thanks Inkanta for getting me into them. Been om a bit of an IQ thing these last few days     :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
30 replies since Jan. 05 2006, 08:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net