Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: SACD MOTS?, Is it likely to be released?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
arron11196 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 26 2008, 17:50

Hello,

I am just wondering whether we can realistically expect to see an SACD release of MOTS... I would personally really appreciate such a recording, as I feel the extra detail would really help the music come to life.

What are your thoughts?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 26 2008, 18:47

Both SACD and DVD-Audio havenĀ“t proven very successful in the past so from my point of view it is very unlikely for a classical piece like Music Of The Spheres to be released on such a format.

:/
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 00:25

I came in here thinking this was a discussion about "SACRED MOTS". When I realized my error, I looked up "SACD" in the Wikipedia, with the hope that it would help me to post an intelligent contribution but, after a couple of lines, I got Glazed Eye Syndrome.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 08:58

@ Sweetpea: admitting your mistake is intelligent enough.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 11:21

I'll try and keep this straightforward, so the only things that are glazed around here by the end of it are the tubular bell cookies that we keep the tubular.net cookie jar stocked up with.

SACD stands for Super Audio CD and is a format developed by Sony and Philips, intended to replace the familiar Audio CD format.

It uses a way of storing the music as digital data that's totally different to that used for CDs (called DSD - I could explain what that means, but I'd fear eye glazing would occur...), which is designed to address some of the problems associated with the format used for CD. The resolution is very high and was designed to offer a similar level of quality to 1/2" analogue tape (the kind of thing that would have been used to master your favourite albums from the past, and some from the present too - not to be confused with the smaller tape formats which you may have grown to hate in the past! ).

It offers both stereo and surround (basically 5.1, though there's a technical difference...but again...eye glaze avoidance mode is currently operational). It's possible for a disc to include both a stereo, a surround and a CD-compatible version (straight SACDs won't play on a normal CD player) of the album. The Tubular Bells SACD is like that - it contains a high quality version of the original mix, the Boxed mix in 4 channel surround (the centre and sub channels are unused), then an extra layer which you can play in a normal CD player (working much like a dual layer DVD).

"But CDs sound great to me, why do we need something better?" you might ask...well there's the problem - almost everyone else has asked the same question and answered "we don't need something better". I personally think they sound very good and would be happy to pay a premium for albums released at that level of quality, but I don't think the format really fits with the way the majority of people listen to music. It suits classical listeners rather better, actually - it seems more of them buy their music to listen to as an activity on its own, rather than to listen to while doing something else, which MP3 and similar formats seem better suited to (easy transfer between devices, small players that can be taken everywhere), and classical recordings often make more use of the extended dynamic range offered.

Surround systems are becoming more common in homes as part of home cinema setups, but I'm not certain that people really want to listen to music on them. People like all the whizz-bang effects in films, but I think with music, a lot of people seem to ask "Why would I want that coming out of 6 speakers?".
Now don't get me wrong - I think music mixed in surround is a brilliant thing, and I'd love to see more of it. I think even purist classical recordings benefit from the extra sense of immersion that the use of surround can give (in those cases, the rear speakers would tend to be fed simply with the signal from microphones picking up the ambience of the space the recording was made in. When the recording is made somewhere with really nice acoustics, the effect can be fantastic).

I'd love to see Music of the Spheres come out on SACD, but I somehow doubt it's going to happen. Perhaps they can be persuaded to do it if the CD sells well.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 15:37

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 23 2008, 11:21)
I'll try and keep this straightforward, so the only things that are glazed around here by the end of it are the tubular bell cookies that we keep the tubular.net cookie jar stocked up with.

That was much more easily digestible than the Wiki entry, and I only got a wee bit glazey when I realized how many paragraphs there were. Thanks, Korgscrew. This reminds me that I've been living without a good sound system for many years. I suppose that, at this time, I wouldn't appreciate what SACD offers because I'm listening to music through iTunes and my iPod (sometimes through my car). Since my rediscovery of MO this past year, I've been thinking that I really should upgrade at some future time. Don't wanna miss any MO goodness, after all.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 16:15

Oh, I can highly recommend doing that, Sweetpea. I've upgraded my sound equipment several times over the last 5 years, and with each successive upgrade I have found new depths, new value in all of Mikes' music. Do it and reward yourself with hours of listening nirvana as you experience it again for the first time!

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
6 replies since Jan. 26 2008, 17:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net