Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: ruined by the whispering< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
stevenmd779 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 10 2006, 11:10

Return to the Origin, To Be Free, and Thou Hkgart in Hkgeaven are all ruined by that annoying whispering. I can't see the point in it. Whispering is not a musical noise, it's an annoying noise. I almost can't even listen to this album any more. I wish there was somewhere where I could download a version of the album with the whispering edited out (and might as well edit out the singing on To be Free also). I realize that I might get annoyed easily, but it certainly doesn't add anything to the music.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2006, 13:26

I think so too, but they do had somethings to the music :/

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 03:42

I like whispering in tr3s lunas
i find in the album more mystery  ;)

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 09:44

I am glad that someone else agrees with me on this.  I really dislike it.  And it's not just that there is whispering, it continues over and over.  I can't listen to any of these songs and for me, really ruins the whole album.   If it had been included on one song, it would have been something different and unique.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 10:16

I guess the whispering in Tres Lunas is like the Vocaloid saying the track title in Light and Shade........ you either find it annoying, or don't really notice (or take account) of it. :)

I think both could get annoying, the vocaloid less so, perhaps.

Whispering is annoying generally, you know when you hear it, something is being hidden from you, maybe it's a sub-concious thing!

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 16:20

I offer an alternative thought. Mike uses the voice as an instrument. He always has. Whispering is no different to chanting, from his perspective, or to singing, or in fact, to some other form of aural intervention. I wrote a piece on his use of the voice some years ago for one of the fan magazines. Having said that, I think he has slipped into over-use of whispers almost to "brand" tracks, and I think it stems mainly from Tubular bells 2 when he adopted those breathy vocals and then employed them heavily in Songs of Distant Earth. Its an atmopsheric technique that suits the ambient style which is probably why since then, it has lingered on in his work.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 22:30

It doesn't make music mysterious for me, but I simply love whispering voices. Even more so, when someone almost changes to whispering while singing. Two fine examples are Cara Dillon's song I am a Youth That's Inclined to Ramble and Tribute's Poem for Vandrare. I know there are others I'm not aware of. ;) I also love Diane Arkenstone's whispering. In Tres Lunas, it doesn't make much difference but I still like it.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2006, 04:06

Quote (EeToN @ Mar. 12 2006, 03:30)
I also love Diane Arkenstone's whispering.

So do I. I think she does the best whispering there is....
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 12 2006, 10:16

I think whispering generally sounds stupid. Muttering is worse, though.

As far as we're talking about whispering in music, I'm reminded of Kraftwerk's "Sex Objekt". "Ja!... Nein!..." Almost ruins the song.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2006, 10:23

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 12 2006, 15:16)
I think whispering generally sounds stupid.

Clearly you haven't heard Diane Arkenstone's whispering!  ;)

In Tr3s Lunas it's a question of context. In 'Return to the Origin', for instance, I can see that the whispering might seem unnecessary in a purely musical sense. However, in the game, when the music plays you are thrown into a wonderful vortex-like structure called the Rebirth Tunnel, and the whispered and echoed 'return ... turn ... turn' has a deeply reassuring effect that makes a really positive addition to the experience. As I've often said, the game transforms the music and heightens it through memory of experiences in the game.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 12 2006, 23:28

Mmmm....it works for me. I am reminded of the use of vocables that some Native American musicians use to elicit an emotional response in their audience--maybe more like Mike's chants (an example is the heya-heya--heyo...hmm...Joanne Shenandoah's Orenda contains good examples) than whispering, but I think the whispering is done for ambience and to get an emotional response.

One of my favorite ways to start an early morning run when the earth is fresh and warming is with  "the earth spirit is watching you." Between the whispering and the drums I am propelled into a deeper connection with the planet--really feel sometimes like the earth spirit is watching me, lol! Then I feel connected to our ancestors and how they sometimes literally ran from place to place. Then I think of Back to the Future III and of one of my favorite exchanges....

Doc: And in the future, we don't need horses. We have motorized carriages called automobiles.
Saloon Old Timer: If everybody's got one of these auto-whatsits, does anybody walk or run anymore?
Doc: Of course we run. But for recreation.  For fun.
Saloon Old Timer: Run for fun? What the hell kind of fun is that?

Ah...sorry.... I digress.... :O

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 03:04

Until reading Inkanta's post above (and breaking out my dictionary), I never knew 'vocables' was a word.

I find the whispering rather attractive. This is Sally Oldfield, correct? What a lovely voice she has.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
11 replies since Mar. 10 2006, 11:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net