Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Roland Joffe< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bennyboy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 16 2001, 00:09

Remember Roland Joffe? The dude who directed "The Killing Fields"?

I think he is one of the most accomplished, innovative and daring directors this side of Kubrick. I think it is a shame that he is so often dismissed by such elitist film critics as Leonard Maltin, Pauline Kael and Roger Ebert.

His first two films, "The Killing Fields" and "The Mission" (concerning the attempts by a couple of missionaries to civilize the Guarani indians in 16th century Brazil) are both masterpieces, undoubtedly two of the greatest movies ever made. It has been a hard thing for Joffe to live up to the legacy of those films, but his work after that, although uneven shows a refreshing amount of intelligence and originality. "Fat Man And Little Boy" (aka "Shadow Makers") is a detailed, if somewhat clinical look on The Manhatten Project and its devestating after effects. "City Of Joy" (his best since "The Killing Fields") is a sincere and heartfelt (if at times rather sentimental) look at life in the slum areas of Calcutta, as seen through the eyes of an ex-patriot American doctor (Patrick Swayze in the best performance of his career). "The Scarlet Letter" is a revisionist take on Nathaniel Hawthorne's classic novel. While "The Scarlet Letter" twists the message of the book and is much more sexually explicit, judged purely as an escapist Hollywood romance it works very well. "Goodbye Lover" is a funny film-noir comedy in the vein of "Wild Things", with an intricate plot and lots of killer twists, but some very shallow main characters.

I like his films because there is a real sense of time and place in them, they simply ooze atmosphere. Plus he is a film-maker not afraid to adress serious issues, and his films are usually quite thought provoking.

His films usually have great music too. Most of his films have been scored by Ennio Morricone. "City Of Joy" and "The Mission" are two of Morricones best scores.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 17 2001, 16:15

YES! YES! YES!

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO ALSO LOVES MO AND RJ TO DEATH!!!!!

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO ACTUALLY LIKES "THE SCARLET LETTER"!!!!!

YOU DON'T KNOW HOW HAPPY I AM!!!!!

Seriously though, I have become quite an admirer of Roland Joffe's work in the world of cinema too!!!

I guess it started when I rented "The Killing Fields" (to see how the music fitted in-I had long been an MO fan beforehand). I simply sat back in awe of the film, (and not just becausa of Mike's music, or the acting or the scenery but cuz of the cinematic craftwerk of Roland Joffe. The movie neither toned down or sensationalized the horrors of Cambodia under Pol Pot, it had a harrowing documentury style realiss,m.

I never saw any of his other flicks till "City Of Joy" came on telly. Again I was blown away buy the way R. Joffe caN BRING THIS EDGY, HARD-HITTING, EYE OPENING REALISM to his flicks yet STILL MOVINGLY PORTRAY THE COMPLEX DYNAMICS OF THE HUMAN PSYCHE. "City Of Joy" was not only a touching story of friendship, honour and the search for redemption: it was also a poignant wake up call to the western world, showing us the plight of the poor in third world nations...

sO Impressed was I that I went to the video store and rented all his other films. His other historical pictures: "The Mission", "Fat Man And Little Boy" and "The Scarlet Letter" play loose with som historicalll facts but deliver their own unique, passionate and lyrical visions. Some find these visions alienating I find them enchantinggg.

Roland Joffe is an underappreciated man of vision vision, just like Mike is.

And dat is why I luv both of em....

Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 28 2001, 00:25

"City Of Joy", a piece of "EDGY, HARD HITTING, EYE OPENING REALISM...POIGNANT WAKE UP CALL TO THE WESTERN WORLD"?

What the...???????

Had you been spending your whole life asleep or something????????

Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 28 2001, 00:41

I can't agree with either of you here.

To me Roland Joffe is a typical example of a film maker who started off with one great film, let all the critical acclaim get to his head, then spent the rest of his career sinking under the weight of lofty (and naked) ambitions ("Shadow Makers", "City Of Joy"). Then, after that failure, trying in vain to become a hot commodity again by doing shallow commercial products ("Super Mario Bros.", "Goodbye Lover").

"The Mission" was almost a great film, but the attempt to add mystical overtones to the film through the DeNiro subplot was goofy, especially since DeNiro was badly miscast in the role. "Shadow Makers" tried valiantly to capture the flavour of the historical period, but in the process forgot about bringing life to the human story, and the acting was bland all around.

"City Of Joy" and "The Scarlet Letter" have some pretty scenery and photogenic stars but thats about it. Both are just pale echoes of their source novels, both films sentementalized and hollywoodized too much. They have none of the power and daring brought to the stories in the printed word.

"Goodbye Lover" and "Super Mario Bros." aren't even worthy of comment.

Watch a film by Roger Spottiswoode ("Under Fire", "Tomorrow Never Dies") or William Friedkin ("The French Connection", "The Exorcist", "Sorcerer") and you'll witness true moviemaking genius.
bennyboy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 03 2001, 03:13

Yo Gareth, all great artists have their off days.....

Roger Spottiswoode has made some kickass films ("Under Fire", "Tomorrow Never Dies", "Air America") but also some pretty cruddy ones too ("Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot!", "Turner & Hooch"). Same deal with William Friedkin (I didn't think "Exorcist" was THAT good, and don't forget this guy also did "Cruising", "Jade" and "The Birthday Party").
Profile PM 
4 replies since Feb. 16 2001, 00:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net