Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Rogue emoticons, A bug to watch out for< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 11 2003, 15:13

I just thought it might be worth drawing people's attention to this - I've actually been meaning to for a while.

There's a slight bug (or perhaps it's intentional) in the board software which means that if you type certain punctuation marks next to a 'closed bracket' ) symbol (and I mean those like exclamation marks and apostrophes, alongside the expected colons, semicolons, etc) it'll put in a winking face. The trick to stop that happening is to put a space between the bracket and the punctuation mark...

(so that this!;)
(becomes this! )

('and this';)
('becomes this' )

If unexpected winking faces have been turning up in your posts, this is why - if you see one, you can of course use the edit post function to get rid of it. All a tiny bit irritating, I know...perhaps there's a better solution out there.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 12 2003, 06:08

If you're neither :) nor :( nor just :zzz:, and it's not :xmas: and you don't :music:,
then check out if you haven't
[v] Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
at the bottom of the composition window.
Andreas
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 12 2003, 06:10

So, you should have
[  ] Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
at the bottom of the composition window,
if you're neither :) nor :( nor just :zzz:, and it's not :xmas: and you don't :music:
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 12 2003, 09:14

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. It works as long as you don't want to have any emoticons at all in the post - if you want intentional ones but don't want the rogue ones, I still see no other solution.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Mar. 11 2003, 15:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net