Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Rock, whats your favourite rock song.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Silver Negus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 23 2009, 18:29

I enjoy many different songs but I just think this is a perfect exmaple of what a rock song is, good structure, good lyrics, just perfecto!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDH7JqF_EFg
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2009, 20:18

Black Licorice by Grand Funk comes to mind. As far as the perfect song ever written, commercially, perfect instrumentation, lyrics, implementation, intent, guitar solo(simple but brilliant), that would have to be Journey-Who's Cryin' Now.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 01:48

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 23 2009, 20:18)
Black Licorice by Grand Funk comes to mind. As far as the perfect song ever written, commercially, perfect instrumentation, lyrics, implementation, intent, guitar solo(simple but brilliant), that would have to be Journey-Who's Cryin' Now.

so who's them then? are they any good?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 04:35

Good question... I'd need to think about that! I assume you mean fairly "straight" rock, so no prog, metal, etc.?

I guess it could be some early Rush... something like Beneath, Between & Behind - kickass hard rock song, and not proggy at all. Come to think of it, I don't really listen to much "normal" rock music...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 11:55

Call me crazy, but the only thing that comes to mind right now is Jenny Ondioline, by Stereolab. Either that or Ace of Spades, by Motörhead. \m/ :( \m/

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 16:21

I'm not sure whether it can be termed "rock" (@ Sir M.: Are Stereolab rock? :D), but my favourite rock song is also my favourite song ever: "Heaven" by Bryan Adams. Mike O.'s "Islands" is a very close second.

@ Silver Negus: Pink Floyd did lots and lots and lots and lots of better stuff than "Take it Back". I'd like to know what is it that makes what is IMHO just a fluffy, poppy piece of vaguely ecologist nonsense, sound "just perfecto" to your ears, because to me the lyrics, the music and the performance are very, very, very inferior to PF's previous output.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 17:38

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 24 2009, 16:21)
I'm not sure whether it can be termed "rock" (@ Sir M.: Are Stereolab rock? :D), but my favourite rock song is also my favourite song ever: "Heaven" by Bryan Adams. Mike O.'s "Islands" is a very close second.

@ Silver Negus: Pink Floyd did lots and lots and lots and lots of better stuff than "Take it Back". I'd like to know what is it that makes what is IMHO just a fluffy, poppy piece of vaguely ecologist nonsense, sound "just perfecto" to your ears, because to me the lyrics, the music and the performance are very, very, very inferior to PF's previous output.

wow you're a fiesty one arent you! Everyone has different tastes and catogorises them differently.  To me 'Take it back' displays a moral message, and I tend to like music that has a story to it.  To me it' s perfecto for that reason.

I dont tend to listen to music and have an opinion in very black and white terms about it.  I'm not really logical about its technical merits all of the time.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 04:51

Ace Of Spades probably springs to mind first for me as well Sir M.My all time favourite out and out rocker though is The Beatles Revolution I just love the way they cranked everything right up to the max for that song,unfortunatly you don`t really get the desired effect listening through youtube.In fact speaking of cranking everything up These Guys used to be great for that,particularly when they first started out.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 09:21

Probably have to say Voodoo Chile (slight return) by Hendrix.Simple,short (for Hendrix)and straight to the point.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 11:19

Silver, you never heard of Journey? Wow. They dominated the airwaves from 1978 to 1983. Steve Perry, Niel Schon(guitarist extrordinaire), Jonathan Cain, various drummers and bass players including(for a while) Randy Jackson of American Idol? "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'", "When the Lights Go Down in the City"? This was a band founded by ex-Santana keyboard player/singer Greg Rolie(Black Magic Woman/Evil Ways). Sadly and Moronically he left Journey just as they hit their mega-millions superstar peak.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 13:16

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 25 2009, 11:19)
Silver, you never heard of Journey? Wow. They dominated the airwaves from 1978 to 1983. Steve Perry, Niel Schon(guitarist extrordinaire), Jonathan Cain, various drummers and bass players including(for a while) Randy Jackson of American Idol? "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'", "When the Lights Go Down in the City"? This was a band founded by ex-Santana keyboard player/singer Greg Rolie(Black Magic Woman/Evil Ways). Sadly and Moronically he left Journey just as they hit their mega-millions superstar peak.

yeahI heard of journey and heard their music
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 14:14

Inquiry, "so who's them then? are they any good?" Grand Funk or Grand Funk Railroad was a group formed by guitarist/singer Mark Farner. They had many hits and evolved into a commercially attractive act with the likes of Todd Rundgren producing as well as Frank Zappa. "Were an American Band" was thier signature LP. My fav. toe tapper(more like banger) was Black Licorice, a song about a black prostitute. Slightly advanced subject material. I do think they slightly ripped off a guitar riff from The Moody Blues "The Story In Your Eyes".

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 14:49

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 25 2009, 14:14)
Inquiry, "so who's them then? are they any good?" Grand Funk or Grand Funk Railroad was a group formed by guitarist/singer Mark Farner. They had many hits and evolved into a commercially attractive act with the likes of Todd Rundgren producing as well as Frank Zappa. "Were an American Band" was thier signature LP. My fav. toe tapper(more like banger) was Black Licorice, a song about a black prostitute. Slightly advanced subject material. I do think they slightly ripped off a guitar riff from The Moody Blues "The Story In Your Eyes".

didnt think you said 'jouner' before recently though. I dont know about the names of people in the band. heard stuff when I was growing up.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 15:34

You must be be a "youngster" Silver....by the way congrats on that avatar. Please stick to that one, it's a real......well, hmm...attention grabber.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 15:57

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 25 2009, 15:34)
You must be be a "youngster" Silver....by the way congrats on that avatar. Please stick to that one, it's a real......well, hmm...attention grabber.

'Attention Grabber' haha! funny eh.  I'm 27 not that much of a youngster I'll be hitting 30 soon.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 16:19

Jeez I was havin' fun at that age! Old enough to be naughty but young enough to be a jokester.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 16:22

I'm not naughty but I am a joker.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 16:26

Actually strike that, I am naughty because I havent done my last assignment yet on 'Understanding The TV And Film Industries.' We have to write about, connectivity, convergence and media technology...and I've just been procrastonating for two months, and its not usuall for me. Think it could be the stress of having to move again.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 11:08

"Hepatic Tissue Fermentation" by Carcass. Not the bland 1992 re-working but the original 1990 version released on the "Pathological compilation" compilation. It sure rocks and it's very catchy. Most memorable line: "In a stupor you die, your brain lobes you fry".
The subject matter is very rock'n'roll too; excessive drinking until "the end".

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 17:41

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 26 2009, 11:08)
"Hepatic Tissue Fermentation" by Carcass. Not the bland 1992 re-working but the original 1990 version released on the "Pathological compilation" compilation. It sure rocks and it's very catchy. Most memorable line: "In a stupor you die, your brain lobes you fry".
The subject matter is very rock'n'roll too; excessive drinking until "the end".

Those lyrics make me laugh!  :D   :D   :D

Just the way they come across, a good tune though no doubt
Profile PM 
45 replies since Aug. 23 2009, 18:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net