Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Rock, whats your favourite rock song.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 12 2009, 20:43

I thought I'd complete my contribution to the thread with what I believe is the ultimate album to define and determine what rock music is all about: Fun House, by the Stooges. No kidding at all: the sound, the performances, the alchemy between the members, the rawness of the recording, and the only a genius could write something so dumb songwriting, it's all perfect. You need to feel it right from the swaggering beat of Out on the Street right down to the insane energy of the title track, and then, let all Hell break loose with L.A. Blues. Ultimate rock experience. Even I love it.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 12 2009, 22:23

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Dec. 12 2009, 20:43)
the alchemy between the members,

Sir M, I don't think you mean this! Alchemy was a failed attempt to produce gold.

Just noticed this thread... agree with everything Ugo says about "Take it Back", a worthless song, in my opinion.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2009, 01:55

Also, I've never heard their music, but The Stooges, if they're as good as you say they are, presumably have put more thought into their music than they did into their name, which inevitably conjures up presumably irrelevant references to Moe, Larry, and Curly Joe! I generally find, though, that the imaginative bands generally also have imaginative names - eg, Pink Floyd (yes, I know I just slagged off "Take it Back", but that track is an exception).
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 13 2009, 08:56

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 12 2009, 22:23)
Sir M, I don't think you mean this! Alchemy was a failed attempt to produce gold.

Ah, but they finally got it right. :p

Their name originally referred to the completely wacked out, off-the-loop live performances they put out, and from The Psychedelic Stooges, they cut it short to simply The Stooges. Their music, actually, is dumb. Very dumb. But it's so dumb and in such a way that only someone very smart could pull it off and make it work -- which is the polar opposite of the rock star wannabes who think they're smart but can't get above their own mediocrity.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
ommaGeddon Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2009, 11:50

It’s impossible for me to pick just one favourite rock track because there are so many gems, but I suppose Monkey Wrench and Everlong by the Foo Fighters, Hocus Pocus and Sylvia by Focus, Paradise Skies by Max Webster, Anarchy In The UK by the Sex Pistols, Mayor Of Simpleton by XTC, Matter Of Time by David Sancious and In The Dead Of Night and Danger Money by UK would be high up there on my list. Ace Of Spades too!  :)
Profile PM 
ommaGeddon Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2009, 12:05

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Dec. 13 2009, 13:56)
Their name originally referred to the completely wacked out, off-the-loop live performances they put out, and from The Psychedelic Stooges, they cut it short to simply The Stooges. Their music, actually, is dumb. Very dumb. But it's so dumb and in such a way that only someone very smart could pull it off and make it work -- which is the polar opposite of the rock star wannabes who think they're smart but can't get above their own mediocrity.

I never saw the Stooges live but I saw Iggy a few times. Crazy guy! I heard a legendary story that once he couldn’t be found before a gig and the road crew eventually saw him doing drugs in the toilets and pushed him onto the stage, but he just stumbled and fell off the front, landed on top of a girl in the audience and threw up on her, and that was the end of the show. Now that’s rock’n’roll!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
45 replies since Aug. 23 2009, 18:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net