Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Robert Reed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 30 2023, 08:15

Rob Reed's music is uncanny. It's as though Mike carried on making albums in the style of his 70s music. I'm sure many of you have already discovered him, but here's his first album, Sanctuary, for those who have yet to have the pleasure:

https://robertreed.bandcamp.com/album/sanctuary-i

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: June 30 2023, 15:43

I've came across Rob Reed some times indeed. He does an impressive job recreating the renowned Oldfield sounds.

But still, after some listens of Sanctuary I and II the melodies and musical structures are just not it for me. I can't tell why, but Mike's melodies and structures are just better. A bit more emotional, a bit more catchy, a bit more original...

With Sanctuary II Rob takes his own path a bit more than in Sanctuary I, which makes volume II a bit stronger and pleasant than volume I, in my opinion.

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 30 2023, 16:26

Quote (Happy? @ June 30 2023, 15:43)
Mike's melodies and structures are just better. A bit more emotional, a bit more catchy, a bit more original...

You're absolutely right, of course. And I've been thinking the same thing, and yet for those of us who pine for a 5th MO album along the lines of his first four, then Sanctuary (1) is a wonderful placebo. I mean, I wanted Return to Ommadawn to do that job for me, but it didn't quite measure up.

Anyway, I've just bought a copy of Sanctuary. Had to get it secondhand because it's sold out. Maybe Rob's tunes will stick after a few more plays.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 01 2023, 04:57

I have all 3 of the Sanctuary series, and I enjoy them all, the first one is Robert pouring all his Mike Oldfield influences in, and it has lots of Mike's sounds from all of his career. Robert is also working with Mike's old musicians, like Tom Newman, Les Penning, Simon Phillips and more, I just wish Mike would make something with Robert, even if it was just adding some guitar to a Robert Reed track.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 01 2023, 06:32

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ July 01 2023, 04:57)
I just wish Mike would make something with Robert, even if it was just adding some guitar to a Robert Reed track.

I'd settle for knowing Mike's OK. I'm worried about him. Downing tools midway through attempting TB4 set off a red flag for me.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
4 replies since June 30 2023, 08:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net