Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Robert Miles?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tubularbills Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 18:32

A lot of Robert Miles's stuff is kind like some of MOs music. RM uses a little bit more piano, but a lot of his are also dance/techno like MO's TB3. He also does stuff that you can relax too like TSODE as well.

(MO is still way better!!!!!!!!!)

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 22:06

I got Robert Miles' 'Dreamland' album in a sale in a record shop somewhere. There is some nice stuff on it and I listen to it now and then. I think that people who like stuff like 'The source of secrets' would also quite like Robert Miles's work but...that's just a guess...

Not to be confused with Rob Miles, MO fan and cider enthusiast extraordinaire...
Profile PM 
119-249
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 28 2000, 10:24

there is a re-mix single of Mike's that's a deadringer for Robert Miles - I think it's a track on the Women Of Ireland single - and there's also that bit in The Millennium Bell rave up at the end of TMB, just before all the Broadway voices come in going "with the sunlight shining through clouds.."

wolf
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2000, 11:00

Does anyone else think that Mikes reworking of the Tubular Bells theme on "The Source Of Secrets" might have been influenced by Robert Miles's hit "Children"?

I mean, think about it.

They both start off with thunder and rain and wind sound effects. Then there is some slow, tinkling piano to start of both. Then the beat comes in and then they both gradually get faster till the climax comes which is extra louder.

Just a thought.
Profile PM 
Belthazar Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2001, 04:09

I actually heard Robert Miles first. Then my mother gave me her old tape of TB I, and said I might like it, because it was like "Children".... and I DID like it....

--------------
Belthazar
That's Bravo Echo Lima Tango Hotel Alpha Zulu Alpha Romeo

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana
-- Groucho Marx

Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2001, 10:20

Always when people talk about robert miles, they talk about Children, which is quite sad. Children was the first song I heard by robert miles, I was quite young at the time, and I fell it love with it instantly. So I got his two CDs, Dreamland and 23am. Dreamland has Children on it, along with a bunch of quite similar tracks. The thing is, I grew bored of the rather simple music on Dreamland very quickly, and instead started to listen 23am. This album is not a dance/dreamtrance music, it's mainly melodic ambient/trip-hop/slow trance stuff, quite hard to categorize actually. It has a couple of vocal tracks also, you've maybe heard the single "Freedom"? Well, 23am really grew on me, and it was almost the only album i listened to during several months. It's *very* different from Dreamland, it sounds a lot more mature and less mainstream, and I think it's a LOT better that Dreamland. In fact, it was this album, sort of, that showed me the way to Mike Oldfields music, and also Pink Floyd. 23am was pretty much the first CD i heard with long instrumental tracks, and it made me undertstand how much I love that kind of music. I've been in touch with Robert via email quite a lot lately, he's into some of Pink Floyds stuff as well as Mike Oldfield (he recommends floyd's "Dark side of the Moon" and well as mike's "TSODE" on his homepage), and it's not hard to hear he's influenced by them. And by the way, he has a new album coming up in a few months called "Organik", you can find short audio-clips on his homepage (www.robert-miles.com). It sounds really promising, i must say. Don't let Children or Fable fool you, robert miles is certainly a great musician, way beyond the mainsteam pop/dance shit mtv provides us with on a daily basis.
Profile PM WEB 
Belthazar Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2001, 18:53

If what you say is true, then I think I'm going to have to get hold of a copy of 23am.... I've got Dreamlands, and all the songs sounds ratherf similar...

--------------
Belthazar
That's Bravo Echo Lima Tango Hotel Alpha Zulu Alpha Romeo

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana
-- Groucho Marx

Profile PM WEB 
zerblatt Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2001, 11:24

I bought Miles' Dreamland the day it was released, just to find out that it was just a pile of shit. Children is great IMO, Fable is also OK, but the rest is poor. I haven't listened to it for a few years now (I won't bother either, in fact I've hidden it under my bed), so if there's someone who wants it; just contact me. smile

I can't see any similarities between Mike & Miles other than the cheap piano-tune in TMB's title track.
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2001, 09:55

yes i agree, dreamland stinks. but as i said, robert is capable of a lot more. i got an email from him the other day and it looks like his new album will be released in the end of May. Gnnnnn i can't wait....
Profile PM WEB 
8 replies since Oct. 31 2000, 18:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net