Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ringscape fadeout< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 12 2005, 13:05

So there I am, listening to Ringscape, and dreaming of snowy owls and ice caverns, and the music begins to fade, and in my mind the owl is flying further and further away ... and then suddenly, with a twist of the engineer's volume control that is almost palpable, the illusion is broken as the sound dips quickly to zero.

What I expect from a good fade is that illusion of the music disappearing gently into the distance - so gently that you can't quite decide where the music ends and where silence begins. But this ending to Ringscape is close to being an abortion, not an ending. All it needed was another few seconds of gentle diminishment of volume, but no - suddenly, enough is enough, says the engineer, and it's cut off, as though CD-playing time were money.

Does this bother anyone else?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 12 2005, 15:26

Yep, it's a completely stupid, abrupt fade-out. Couldn't have costed a lot to give the song five more seconds to make a gentler fade-out, or maybe just apply the correct fade-out effect. I can't even say that's an amateurish effect - I learned to make better fade-outs even before I could call myself an amateur (I'm not trying to bash Mike - I just can't understand that thing).

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2005, 15:28

On the whole, to my cloth-ears, the ending is a bit messy anyway after the last guitar part. The actual fadeout depends on how loud you are playing it. As i usually have it low whilst at work or surfing when the family are asleep. it doesn't bother me.

I just turned up the volume, and I see what you mean Alan. A heavily echoed hammond fade out to zero would have been mush better.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2005, 16:06

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Dec. 12 2005, 20:26)
(I'm not trying to bash Mike - I just can't understand that thing).

No, I entirely agree, Sir M. I'm not bashing anybody, either. But it just makes no sense.

I just have this little niggling thought.... did anyone actually listen to that faded ending before it went off to the CD-making plant? Or was it a 'yeah, fade off the ending and send it' kind of thing?

@andy:
I agree, if you listen to it very quietly it's not noticeable. I mean - it's not a big deal. There are more important things in life. But it just seems a daft oversight.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2005, 16:38

Now that I listen to that ending Im thinking yes, I agree.
Another thing about L&S is that first I was amazed but
now Im not so much. :/ It seems to be lacking the staying power of the previous albums, although Blackbird is still powerfull.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 08:32

I agree with you Alan. 100%. All that potential.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 08:35

Fadeing out is the worst way to end a song in my opinion.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 08:50

Quote (stevenmd779 @ Dec. 13 2005, 08:35)

For a while, I thought so. It's a fairly cheap and easy way to end a song (look at the song "Band on the Run").

However, sometimes the fadeout can work to good musical effect. Don't forget the drum-cadence fade-out on "Ommadawn" part 1.

Another song-ending problem is "We don't know how to end this song, so let's just blast along a while longer". Genesis had this problem on "Trespass".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 10:21

When I think of fade-outs, I instantly remember "Supper's Ready", by the aforementioned Genesis. Not only another kind of ending would have probably not worked, the fade-out works wonders in the context of the song and is evocative as hell. There's "It", from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, which is similar.

There are songs that just shouldn't end, in my opinion (metaphorically speaking! ). "Ringscape" fits that, in my opinion. And I'm also out of possible answers for why that abrupt slice-out made it into the record. Maybe the guys couldn't stand working on the album anymore and just send it to Hell like it was? That I can, at least, comprehend.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 10:48

Quote (stevenmd779 @ Dec. 13 2005, 13:35)

Well, as Hiawatha suggests, surely it depends very much on context? I think it can be very effective, particularly in situations where one imagines the fading being due to increasing distance. A lovely example of creative use of the fadeout is the album version of Steeleye Span's 'Gaudete', where you're left feeling that a bunch of wassailers have just been singing for you, and now they're moving on to the next street, or beyond.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 10:50

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Dec. 13 2005, 10:21)
When I think of fade-outs, I instantly remember "Supper's Ready", by the aforementioned Genesis. Not only another kind of ending would have probably not worked, the fade-out works wonders in the context of the song and is evocative as hell. There's "It", from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, which is similar.

Yes. Genesis has good examples. I think they did not know well how to end songs in "Trespass", but figured it out afterwards.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 16:29

And to think of all those wonderful crescendo endings Mike has done. There's a thread around here somewhere.

What really bugs me are those repeat chorus and fade songs, no thought put in at all.

--------------
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 21:57

Quote (olracUK @ Dec. 14 2005, 05:29)
What really bugs me are those repeat chorus and fade songs, no thought put in at all.

Foreign Affair, anyone?

I never noticed the Ringscape fade-out until I read it here. It isn't enough to ruin my enjoyment of the song, not by a long way, but abrupt is certainly the word.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 06:46

Quote (raven4x4x @ Dec. 14 2005, 02:57)
Foreign Affair, anyone?

Ha! There is a great example of a song that should have ended with an acoustic guitar swirl and big chord crash.

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 09:46

Quote (olracUK @ Dec. 14 2005, 11:46)
Ha! There is a great example of a song that should have ended with an acoustic guitar swirl and big chord crash.

And also, a great deal sooner.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 22 2005, 11:31

quite a short fade out yes......
I havent notice it before, but yes tooo short
:(

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
15 replies since Dec. 12 2005, 13:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net