Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Reviews< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Hendrik Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 28 1999, 09:06

I got the Promo on wednesday the 24th, and he really did a great job here !
Only the ONE Bell on Millenuim Bell that interrupts the music is dissapointing! Not only that there is only one big gong, it breaks into the "doge´s Palace" part when you don´t expect it!
And really it is too short !!! frown((
It could have had more guitars but it all fits great.
Pacha Mama is my favourite for now, and Peace on earth comes after it !
It that music style that I love, a bit of Enya, slow , something that you can think and drewam of. it gives you a small picture and you can build the rest !
The doge´s Palace should have been a rap like song, but it isn´t. I had to listen to it 3 times, but now I like it ,´cause it goes deeper!
The bit that I like most is the virgin choir on Amber Light. It reminds me of Pictures in the Dark and it could have been much much longer.
Mastermind is cool, but I don´t like James Bond themes. The guitar sound, which is like on Guitars, is only thing that I like with the drum patterns.
Lake Constance and Broad Sunlit Uplands is very catchy and a kind of depressive, especially BSU.the only thing that doesnt fit on it is the machine gun sound after a few seconds and the harmonica bit which sounds like a western style , not 2.World war.I belive it stands for the Americans who entered Germany but he should have taken another sond.
A little rememberance from Amarok on Liberation and afterwards and an Enya like speach, really could have been Enya herself.
The Guitar on it is great smile
The millenium Bell is very fast and expresses to me too the fact that everyone can´t play or make new music, only cover versions with new hammering drum beats !

Millenium Bells is one of my favourite albums of Mr. Oldfield but not my best one.
I love the slow side of it and as I said before,the Enya Parts.
I really miss the Medival time on it!!!
It really should have been on it.
It is more important then venezian or slavery times, although these should be (stay) on it!

Write down your opinions, looking foreward to see if someone has the same opinions!
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 29 1999, 15:59

How can you say MO has anything to do with TMB ? Ok the music isn't bad but it could be anybody. I looked forward to this piece but it turned out to be not the MO I know so well. On new years eve I will be listening Exposed! and after that Mount Teidi
stig Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 1999, 16:03

Its the 29th - and Ive finally got it..
I can't say that it blew me away.

But it did impress me.
Peace on Earth is simply fantastic -
I instantly thought of Distant Earth (fav)
and the vocals are amazing ..
strange for mike.
Pacha Mama. WOW. Instantly stands out as
the penultimate track on the album. If
not just 'cause the vocals sound like
'sexy waman!'. It really is good.
With santa maria, i must admit my exctitment
started to cool down, and it really is
nice, but didn't remind me of Christopher
Columbus - or the Mike we all know + love.
The next track, Sunlight shining through
cloud, has great rhythms and a fantastic
vocal section, I wasn't keen on the
frequent leap between Monologue and Singing
and the title SOOO should have been
amazing grace!!!
This is where is all went wrong.
the worst track on the album, is a cheesy
piece called 'the doges palace - which
sounds like a cheap MIDI instrument demo.
The vocals are just silly, and actually made
me laugh! Dissapointing Mike.
Thank god Lake Constance quickly follows.
You won't believe this track. It is simply
fantastic - Fully orchestral, and Mikes
classical guitar skills in effect.
This track made me melt. It just shows that
if put under the same category, Mike could
write music to challenge some of the most
famous composers! Brilliant.
Mastermind is supposed to be a 1920s gangster
or James Bond like piece, but the vocal that
says 'mastermind' is too loud and spoils it
for me. Mikes guitar playing is good though,
one of the rare moments.
Henrik above is right, the Gunshot at the
start of Broad sunlit uplands just doesn't
fit. Its a shame, because it is a great
track, that made me picture the results of
war.
Liberation is strange...
Its supposed to be about Anne frank and all
that, yet 'tis suprisingly happy sounding!
But whatever it is - I like it, and as soon
as I heard the voice, i instantly thought
of Far above the clouds - as any MO fan
would - and We get bits of Guitar now and
again, and a few random samples - to signify
the introduction of media..
AND THEN IT ENDS! Liberation ends far too
quickly, it just cuts off with no warning.
When i was reading news, i thought Amber
Light would be an Upbeat housey track, the
sort that defines Mikes alter-ego, but when
I played it - I was suprised by the
Traditional Feel of it. This track is VERY
professional, It blew me away. This is the
nearest the album got to recreating
Songs of Distant Earth for me. Excellent.
Then we hear Pacha Mama, again - but
housied up - and everyone has heard that
'Millenium Bell' Real Audio - so we all
knew what to expect..
Im not impressed at this track one bit.
The cheesy house feel, and 'faithless'
synth sounds dated and cheap. and then
much to my unfancied suprise - back comes
The Doge's palace, not a welcome addition.
And then, The Gong. You know its the Bell.
but thats it! no more bells! no amazing
build up, like we were treated to in
Far Above the Clouds. Like liberation -
this also gives no sign of its imminent
end.

To Summarize, Some of the tracks on this
album are AMAZING - and set new highs even
for mike, but i can't get over the fact that
it feels so unfinished and rushed, as if
It had to come out before the end of the
Millenium.
Its FAR too Short. and where are some of the
amazing things he could have picked up on
over the past 2000 years? Slavery wouldn't
have been my first choice, its something i
would choose not to remember.
But luckily its not all bad, and I believe
my opinion will have changed after listening
to it for the 2000th time, 'cause I wasn't
too keen on TB3 for a while - but now i think
it is an absolute gem.
Good work Mike, But next time hand us a
finished product, not a rushed demo.
Profile PM 
Hendrik Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 1999, 17:59

Stig, you are right, and that´s what I forgot to write yesterday.
I wasn´t too keen either on TB3 but after a few listenings and my visit at the premiere at the horse guards it had left a great rememberance and is now my favourite even after AMAROK ( I can´t describe my feel to it,´cause I don´t know the words).
Nevertheless, it is very very funny , that these 3 Albums, that came out in a short period doesn´t last longer then 45 - 47 minutes!
Are his capabilities lost, or are they at WEA not able to record more ?
Surprisingly the real Album,which I now hold in my hand, doesn´t have track 12, as the promo. The reprise of Amber Light is now on Millenium Bells.
And the Album, I mean the cover and inlet is awfull! It is made without love !
As Stig said, it was made in a rush, unfinished!
1. The cover doesn´t have anything to do with the Album, except the clock and the venizian pic in a bubble.
2. No Pictures of Mike ( I even hated the TB3 Inlet pic of a uninteresting gallery)
3. The text in it was probably made by Dark Star, because I knew every word in it (new issue). There is nothing new !

Methew, I am missing these type of styles on exposed , oribidoo etc. too , but that´s the way artist do. They can´t stay on one piece, that would be boring (for them wink)
As I said, I have waited for a masterpiece, but this one satisfy me, especially the first 2 SONGS ( 3min. only, grrrrrrrr.)

If there is something I still have forgotten, I will post it.

And I am looking foreward to get more replies!
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 1999, 18:09

Fantastic!!!!what a suprise after guitars being so samey.This is a breath of fresh air and one that suprises which is what Mike does best.A very strong spiritual feel with peace on earth and the "amazing grace"bit which means so much to me being a christian.Pacha mama is stunning!!some abrupt endings which worked better on the likes of Amarok sometimes spoil .I was sceptical about this before i heard it given the short time it was recorded and in between a tour at that!!!Does this man ever go to bed?I make my own music in my humble studio and believe me its not easy to come up with inspiration.I was not overgone on lake Constance as everybody else is but it may grow on me in the future.I cant help thinking of the middle slow bit in the ELO song "mr blue sky".Millenium bell track is a bit weak at the end as Stig says.No massive bell to be heard at all!!!!!A very vangelis(1492)/Enya sound can pop up no and again but it is still very well done.I love the possitive feel as well as reflective and spiritual that this album has .Mastermind is cheesy but a very good cheesy track at that.I am shure it will be a great concert and no doubt Mr jarre will be keeping a close eye on things on Dec 31st.
Profile PM WEB 
stig Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 1999, 19:03

Things i forgot to mention above :

The Cover for the Album -
I never liked the cover anyway, and the
back of the CD box .. well.. certainly
doesn't do it or Mike any justice -
The TB3 case was Highly professional, and
well produced. I just don't feel that
way about TMB.
The Name of the Album -
Its not a Bell. Listen to the Album,
its simply not a tubular bells experience!
i remember people criticizing Mike for
Selling out with TB3, but it was a BELL.
it felt like a bell. this is good, but
its not a bell.
The first time i heard Sentinel, i
nearly passed out.
The first time i heard Top of the
morning, i was speechless.
The smile that comes to my face everytime
i hear Viv Stanshall,
Thats a Bell.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 29 1999, 21:17

i've been a mike oldfield fan since the first release of TB. I never keep in touch with any info on any artist, just spend a lot of time listening to everything that comes out... Saw this album today on the racks, gave it a quick listen, and bought it, like most (if not all) of mike's album's... very enjoyable... I've been listening to it in loops (very short)... been thinking about going to Berlin while reading the leaflet... The cover is just horrible (from any standpoint) I think, but mikes covers have never been quite that... last Olfield album that really got me going was 'Songs of distant earth'... still waiting for the movie, after reading the Clark Book... But Stanley has passed away since... Well anyhow, this is very exciting material. Got me searching on the net for info on Oldfield... Though his writing is quite simple, it is very effective, and what I've found so far on the net is quite interesting on his methods of working... Would like to meet this man once to exchange thoughts... This album is well mastered, once again, but probably didn't need a round the world trip... Though it's a good exucuse to make one! And who knows, maybe I'll make a little trip myself to Berlin for the sake of deciding on doing something on that stange night that lies ahead.
pielawa Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 1999, 01:53

After four close listenings to the new Millennium Bell I found out the following for me:
This has to be one of the worst MO recordings up to now, finding itself even worse than EM.
If I want to listen to Enya, I'd buy a CD from Enya. If I want to listen to Vangelis, I'd buy a CD from Vangelis. Even if I want to listen to Rondo Veneziano, I'd go and buy one of them. But I want to listen to Mike Oldfield, if a new CD from him is out, and not to similar sound of the three mentioned above. But I guess, this might be the reason, why there is no mention of Mike Oldfield at all on the covers. Another "HO" type of record, a farewell to WEA, put together hastily?...
"Santa Maria" is more than embarassing, "The Doge's Palace" and the two following pieces have at least nothing to do with MO sounds. And the closing "MB" is the worst track I've ever heard from MO.
I can't imagine, how those music with its lots of repetitions will attract an audience of some hundredthousands of people in Berlin...
The only track with a strong appeal is still "Sunlight...", which should make it as a single instead of "Amber Light" (when the applause is edited out, of course).
The overall stale taste fits together with the more than uninspired design of the cover, together with a carelessly typography.
MO should step back now for a couple of years or more, trying to find back some creativity he might has lost since "Voyager".
Just my 2 cents to the MB review business.
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 30 1999, 03:27

I have only played the CD once but I agree with Matthew's review. It's very good but it's not MO is it?

Not enough guitar, too much orchestra, too many words, and none of the catchy riffs and phrases of which Mike is a master. Like 'Mont St Michel' it's an impressive piece of work but it could have been done by anybody.

Don't do any more 'bells' albums, Mike. People just take the piss. What happened to goods titles like 'Incantations' and 'Platinum'?

Like I said, these are my first impressions only. After I've played it a couple more times my views might change.
Marc Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 1999, 04:12

The Album starts very well, "Peace on Earth" is beautiful. But the Highlight of the Album ist "The Doge's Palace", it's full of energy, and reminds me to "Top of the morning" or to the Keyboard-Part of "Orabidoo". But that's it, I'm still looking for good melodies on the other tracks, but I didn't find some till now. The last track is really BAD! I don't like reprises, and I don't like this kind of Dance-Style...
Profile PM WEB 
Herc Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 1999, 05:14

Having just bought my copy of The Millennium Bell, I have spent some hours digesting this epic work fresh from Mike's studio. I have to say I am impressed! I had been dreading the release. So many people on Tubular Web had expressed their revulsion at the cover, which even now I cannot bring myself to like. There seemed to be utter confusion over the Millennium concert and the release date of the album and subsequent singles. What was going *on* in the Oldfield camp? I suspected Mike's recent management kerfuffles (the break from CBL, the dismissal of Jazz Summers etc.) may have meant that his mental problems were finally getting the better of him. But I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

So here we go. Firstly, let me say that the album is 45 minutes in length, almost exactly as long as TB3. Nobody I spoke to found TB3 too short; rather, they thought it just right for the type of material it covered. However, in the case of TMB, I must admit I am confused - Mike's desire not to overstay his welcome on stage these days seems to have blurred his usually perfect judgement in the studio. Why not make this marvellous project an hour long? Amarok was a gorgeous, bursting hour's worth of genius, and it was all over the place, without purpose or structure, let alone a grand scheme such as the story of the last two millenia. However, if you can get used to the "single-serving" tracks Mike has settled into these days, you'll notice he still packs that content in.

The album opens with an eerie, holy carol, simply entitled "Peace on Earth". This track has a mysteriously Christian, religious tang to it - and it works. It is a vibrant, moody, original carol that is both fresh and antique at the same time. It is, simply stated, a celebration of the birth of Jesus in Nazareth. The lead vocals and choir sound just right, nicely timed, very "old England". Delicate "Watchful Eye" synth backing doesn't steal the limelight, and that swishing Amarok splash cymbal punctuates the tune nicely. The backing vocals are different to any previous Oldfield effort, and smack of the airy perfection of Enya. They are *gorgeous*! Mike gently adds guitar parts in his own inimitable style. Already, this album is uniquely Mike Oldfield.

When this track slowly fades out, the gently pounding drums of Pacha Mama take the stage. A gorgeous, new-style "Tubular" piano part appears. This is graceful and mysterious and winds along nicely. Inca-style choir vocals "Eea eea eea" in the background, and swathes of Incas fill out the front of the soundscape. Mike's guitars again gently add to the track, without you noticing. This is a totally new sound for Mike; not since Platinum has his sound advanced so suddenly.

Next comes The Santa Maria. This is a weaker track, with a slightly crappy, repetitive set of sections that don't work all that well. The strong female vocal calls out "The Santa Maria" over a summery, airy, undulating synth backing. There is choir backing after a while, but somehow the track goes absolutely nowhere. Also, you'll notice Mike making a little too much use of that Amarok splash cymbal sample here.

Moving on, we get to a simply awesome piece. Who has Mike been listening to? How did he come up with this gem? He has taken the verses of the slave song, "Amazing Grace", but added a very convincing chorus "I want to feel sun on my face and I feel the shadow in its place". The verse is spoken in a metallic monotone. The slaves call in the distant background like the "Prayer for the Earth" track on TSODE. The verse builds over a very catchy drum backing, like that you'd find on Michael Jackson's better works (whatever they are). The piece is so overwhelmingly uplifting I think it would make a fantastic single. The Gospel choir only add more to the piece, already an icon of Mike's ability to tackle any musical challenge with aplomb. There is applause at the end of the track, as it melts sofly away.

The Doge's Palace then kicks in. This piece will "strike a chord" with "Top of the Morning" fans. I am afraid it has the unfortunate habit of reminding me of the Mr. Bean theme music (so I've giggled each time I have heard it), with a fast oboe topline, funny six-syllable Venetian names (those of actual Doges) sung in falsetto over the music, and thumping dance bass + tambourine percussion. Very lovable - a baroque/dance mix only Mike could have carried off, but trust me...it's stone mad. Great to see Mike's not taking himself too seriously...

Lake Constance is another unbelievable track...completely orchestral, recreating that successful Oldfield blend of Spanish guitar vs. full orchestra that worked so well on OTB Pt. 2 and Mont St. Michel. This is a track Mike will be proud of. It's rich and smooth, optimistic, emotional and refined. As ever, Mike's guitar is spot on, flying over the mellow, romantic strings and flutes. (Have we heard flutes since Incantations? Don't think so...correct me if I'm wrong).

Lake Constance leaves you with a tear of sadness in your eye, but with a happy heart. It comes to a close, and we move into the Twentieth Century, with yet another *stunning* track from Mike. (How did he come up with this stuff? Guitars was so one-dimensional and rushed...this is so complete and polished.) Welcome to Mastermind...a track describing in music the shenannigans of the 1920s gangsters in the States (and presumably of any other criminal force you care to mention in this century). Mastermind is bang up-to-date, with thumping, stylish drums from Gota Yashiki and bangin' bass. The track features a very James Bond-style theme, with echoing guitar exactly as you'd find in the Bond theme tunes. There are vocal samples added in, such as a female vocal pair saying "Mastermind" like a mantra, and background TV samples like "meltdown"?, "killer!!" and "what...is...love?" Very cool, very stylish and probably too short. Mike could have treated us to some fantastic guitar here, but I'm afraid that "mustn't overstay my welcome" nonsense prevailed. So we move onwards and upwards.

Next, another first for Mike. Here, in "Broad Sunlit Uplands", he mixes Orchestral arrangements, worrying distant synth, a beautiful, elegaic piano tune and WWII samples (air raid sirens, machine guns, a ticking clock) to create the atmosphere of WWII Britain under Churchill. I can't speculate on the meaning of the laid back Harmonica bit. I don't personally go along with the "America entering Germany" theory. This seems somehow to be quite a British track. The harmonica may have some personal significance to Mike. Who knows.

Next, we revisit weird mood of the opening of the album. With Liberation, Mike captures the longing of Anne Frank, prisoner in her Amsterdam townhouse, to be able to enjoy the beauty of nature once again. Greta Hegerland-Oldfield reads the excerpts from the diary of Anne Frank in her unusual Scandinavian/English accent. This again is an effective choice...adding a touch of originality to the readings. The light, airy feel is added to by very Amarok-style bodhr‡ns and jumping, happy guitar backing, bringing Mike's guitar to the fore. This is another Oldfield beauty. Mike has captured the essence of Enya's work (about the only original aspect of it, really) and mastered it, putting it to use in harmony with his own work. This is an assured, optimistic track, gradually melting into the late twentieth century, with radio broacasts and tuning screeches, vocal samples and NASA-style ground control beeps. This track really captures the progress of the world since the second world war ended...right through the fifties, sixties and up to the recent past.

Amber Light follows...a sort of hymn for the future, with a black choir once again adding that spirit and energy to the music as they have done on some of Mike's best albums. Amber Light's melody is slowly introduced on Oldfield guitars, with Jeff Lynne-style fills on compressed guitars. Clickety-clackety tribal percussion and clashing cymbals add to the celebratory nature of this enjoyable track.

Finally, at track eleven, we reach the title track of the album. This, I thought, was the most unusual track on the album. This track, above all, will take getting used to. We open with a gong, and a reprise of the vocals of Pacha Mama, this time with heavier and heavier dance trimmings, and before you know it, bang! We're in a club. This is fabulous, pumping dance with clashing cymbals, and authentic samples wall to wall. It's over this background that Mike reintroduces some of the earlier themes of the album, with the dance beat constant the heavy club tune reappearing, building, building. Saqsaywaman is spoken over the track (cheeky, no?) and Mike's guitars wake up and start snarling. A piano tune appears; a blend of the slow, emotional themes on the album. Soon, the Sunlight Shining through Cloud theme hijacks the piece (rather clumsily), as does the Mr. Bean stuff from the Doge's palace. It really is hard to keep up. If you think it sounds like a mess, you're right...this track is all over the place, with only the dance tune providing some continuity. Then, to top it all off, the bell rings but once, disappointingly. But no, hang on, that's not all, the dance drums tap back in and a cool "Cossack" bit comes in, with frenetic guitars and cymbals splashing from left to right (you can see them dancing). To end the album, the Amber Light theme reappears for a moment, and an Amarok style ending with Mike's guitar stepping off into heaven rounds off the piece.

Phew...

I love this album. I just love it. It is a work of brilliance. It has depth in every direction...it's not at all the kind of dull, studio-stale album that preceded it, and it has much more to it than TB3. If you like, it's a work which really does represent the best of Mike's talents, taking every scrap of his musical genius and applying it to history, which is a brilliant mix. Therefore, I must agree with Mike that this is the most important album of his career. I didn't think Mike could do it. I was worried. I thought it would be a little sterile (like TB3) and a little unfinished (like Guitars), but despite the lame cover and crappy inlay card (Thanks a lot, Blue Cactus Design...what the hell happened Bill Smith?), this is an album I personally recommend to anybody who has good musical taste (Oldfield fans you know what that means) so go out and grab it now!

The only things I miss are (1) more guitars, (2) a better organised finale, in the vein of FATC, the most perfect of the TB finales, and (3) about 15 more minutes of music, to bring the work up to a respectable hour's length.
Profile PM WEB 
markus Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 1999, 08:28

Das ist also das Album, auf das Oldfields Schaffen nach eigenen Worten seinen Höhepunkt erreichen sollte: The Millenium Bell
David Bedford wo bist Du geblieben ? Da macht sich dein Schüler an ein Werk über 2000 Jahre Zeitgeschichte und findet keinen durchgehenden Leitfaden mehr. Muß Michael jetzt schon als Gitarrist bei Rondo Veneziano aushelfen, und noch schlimmer: Denkt er dabei diese Musik würde die klassischen Periode am besten stilisieren ??? Da hat Michael schon ein hervorragendes Session Orchester zur Verfügung und findet es anscheinend immer noch schöner, schlecht gesampelte Streichersounds auf seinen Rolandkeyboards zu drücken (natürlich über MIDI). Wenn dann tatsächlich akustische Instrumente zu hören sind, klingt es auch nicht mehr anders. Michael hat nämlich seit einigen Jahren die Gabe alle Klänge mittels primitiven digitalen Hall, Echos und anderen Effekten völlig zu verwischen (jetzt klingt alles nach Weihnachten). Kompositorisch reiht Michael Ideen nur aneinander, führt keine Idee mehr weiter (wie in seinen früheren Stücken) und schafft auch keinen Reiz der Wiederholung durch früher so interessante Uminstrumentierungen. Was übrig bleibt sind langweilige Gerüste ohne Inhalte. Seine früheren naiv- einfachen und doch wunderschönen Melodien findet man schon lange nicht mehr. Mike, greif wieder mehr zur Gitarre und ruf deinen Freund David an........Ibiza und gebleichte Haare sind nicht alles im Leben !
Profile PM 
zerblatt Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 1999, 10:24

I've heard TMB a couple of times now.
I love it more and more... The first time I heard it I wasn't very impressed, but now I really enjoy

Ok, where are the guitars you may say, but after 'Guitars' I think it's good with something completely different.

Peace on Earth is just BEAUTIFUL, and Pacha Mama is cool too.
Santa Maria starts very well, but I find it a little boring in the end - nothing happends.
Sunlight Shining Trough Cloud are very strange (with the vocals etc.) but still very enjoyable.
I know many ppl hate The Doge's Palace but I think it's great - very energic!!
Lake Constance is something á la Mont St. Michel - very very good.
Mastermind... the one track I don't like at all.. to me it is something between the Inspector Clouseau/Pink Panter-theme and James Bond.
Broad Sunlit Uplands - GRREAT (but where's the clock ticking?? Can't hear it!)
Liberation - really great stuff
Amber Light - very good
The Millennium Bell - AWESOME!!!! At the start I thought that this is something for a Rave Party or something, but after hearing the rest of it I was just blown away!!!!!

I give it 9/10 - it's too short!! frown( Where did Excalibur go?!? Why did you trash that idea, Mike??

Still, GORGEOUS!!

Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 1999, 14:06

Well, I've bought the album yesterday (as you can read on my homepage), and listened to the album 6 times or so, and I like the most songs of TMB.

Let me start...

Peace on earth - Just WONDERFULL!!!! W O N D E R F U L L ! ! ! Just in the first time I heard it, I thought is was wonderful! This is a song every person in the world has to hear! A great beginning for the concert!!!!!! A masterpiece! It gives you a tear in the eye.

Pacha Mama - Just WONDERFUL TOO!!!!!!!!! Great! Lovely! Masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every person in the world has to listen to it! Great for the concert!!!! I especially like the "Eea eea". Just lovely how it goes!
Eea eea eea (lower chord) eea eea eaa (same chord) eea eea eaa (and a lovely higer chord!) Eea! Eea! Eea! Eea!
I will be singing Eea for the rest of my life! And then on the end, "Pacha Mama" and "Saxy Waman" with the lovely choir on the end "Haa haa haa haa haa haa haa".
It brings me a tear in the eye too!

Santa Maria - This is about Columbus, and it does me remind me a bit about "Conquest of Paradise" of Vangelis. But it is stil wonderful!!!!! "Haa haa HHAA haa". And the lovely drums! And at the end: "SANTA MARIA! AAH SANTA MARIA AAH SANTA MARIA SANTA MARIA AHH SANTA MARIIIIIIIIIAAAA!!!!" Every person has to hear this!!! smile
*Tear in the eye*

Sunlight Shining Through Cloud - Begins with a lovely African choir, but then you hear Pepsi and Martay, and I don't like it the way they say it. "Amazing Grace. How..." yech!
But later, it begins to become better. And then a choir! Like it, but it doesn't sound Oldfield.

The Doge's Palace - Then this. Mike, it could be a very good track if you didn't put the "boom boom" rhytms in it! Then it would sound great!!!

Lake Constance - Just wonderful! A great orchestra song!!!! And just orchestra! With of course Mike playing guitar. Lovely for a movie, Mike! ;-)

Mastermind - Sounds great! At the beginning it sounds great! The guitar piece too, but I did immediatly hear he took the sound from "The Four Winds" of Guitars. But still a
great song! I could use it for a movie of my (I make amateur movies)!

Broad Sunlit Uplands - A bit eerie piece with a piano in it. Sounds lovely! And the harmonica sound too, with the strings!

Liberation - As soon as I heard the rhytm, I said: "Amarok"!!! He just used it from Amarok, but he made it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lovely!!!!!!!! Especially the choir on the background! "Tu tu tu tu aheeee tu tu tu tu tu aheeeee"
And after the daughter of Oldfield has spoken the first line, a lovely choir too!!!!!
It is a great rhythm of Amarok, and fits perfectly in the song!!! And then a great synth sound, with radio sounds, and choir echoes!!!!! Lovely!!!! The radio does perfectly express the modern time! And the words of Anne Frank! Great words!!!!!!! You've got a great daughter, Mike! She can speak it out so beautiful!
Every person in the world has to hear this!!! smile

Amber Light - Don't like the first choir with "Amber Light", but then....! "Hee yee How so hee!!!!!" Great!!!!!!!!! Lovely!!

The Millenium Bell - This is the worst track. Mike, please stop with the "boom boom" rhytms!!! I don't like those DJ's. Yech!!!! They all make the same!!!! And where is the bell!!!!!???? No bells!! Only a gong.

My favourites: Peace on earth, Pacha Mama, Liberation, Santa Maria and Amber Light.

Mike could have done something with the dolphin. Maybe a dolphin or whale song a something!!? smile smile smile

Mike begins to repeat himself. I think he is a bit "off".

Mike, if you stop making music, I wiss you very very very good luck in the future.

If you want to make more music, well, take a few years rest, and start to pick up some old styles. No boom boom. ;-)

Blue Dolphin

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
dmorris Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 1999, 14:09

WOW - TMB is stunning. I asked a friend yesterday (before I got my copy) if there was any artist that no matter what they did, you absolutely loved it. He had no answer - but I did - Mike Oldfield.

I bought TMB today and was blown away. I agree with alot of what has been said in this forum, but when all is said and done, it really IS Mike - no-one else could do this.

It is a stormy, stormy night in Glasgow this evening - The Millenium Bell really does let the Sunlight Shine Through ...

Dave
Profile PM 
gorjanbak Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 1999, 13:45

I agree with a lots of you that TMB is one of the best albums of master Oldfield and here is my review:
1.Peace on Earth is great piece of this CD.This song is beautiful and with a lot of feelings.
2.Pacha Mama WONDERFOOL song.The drums are perfect and the vocal section is better.
3.Santa Maria is very very great song and remind's me of Conquest of Paradise.
4.Sunlight Shining Through Cloud.Dreemlike track with a beautifool vocal section
5.The Doge's Palace is the worst track in this album.I hate this tip of music
6.Lake constance.I have no words how much i like this track.This Mike's best track done in his all music carier.The orchestra is great.Bravo mr.Oldfield
7.Mastermind.Interesting song
8.Broad Sunlight Uplands is fool of energy and power.I like this track
9.Liberation.There is good work on this track and I like it.
10.Amber Light.There is a beautifool sounds in this track and I like the orchestra and vocal section.
11.The Millennium Bell.It may be better.

TMB is one of my favorits and the 3 things in this album are wrong
1.It's too short redfacenly 45 min.
2.The end of this album is not with bells
3.There are a little guitars on it
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 01 1999, 14:50

Following the discussion I would like to add something to my first reply.
There must be no misunderstanding, TMB is a masterpiece and if there would be a composer of the millenium election, Mike would rank up with some of the classic masters.
But, is it the style of music you like? Or is it the musician? And do you follow him everywhere his musical evolution goes?
of course MO would be boring if stayed with the Bells. But from my point of view I do mis the joy of real compositions of the Tauruses, Amarok and Ommadawn for instance(not forget to mention the Bells).
They take you away for half an our or so and built up to grand finales and a total wall of music, still recognizing every rithem and sounds. Isn't this realy what we want him to do? For me listening to MO is taking a hot bath, but on TMB it is just if someone is turning on the cold water every 3 or 4 minutes
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 01 1999, 15:19

It is a rainy night in Bonn/Germany, and I'm listening to TMB.
I'll try to make this review short.
1. Peace On Earth: This is a late addition to 'Incantations'. I like the "analog synth arpeggiator" bit on it.
2. Pacha Mama: Anybody heard of "Beautiful World" by Phil Sawyer? This is much like it.
3. Santa Maria: This theme reminds me of some very famous thing: national anthem, film music or church song: I just can't tell now. Can anybody?
4. Sunlight...: The title strongly reminds me of on album Mike made together with Pekka Pohjola. The song-titles on that album sounded like this one's. The Vocals sound a little bit like Anne Clark, and Mike is completely gone. I press SKIP.
5. The Doge's Palace: Irish Folk! YEAH! then Bach. That's OK, that fits. Then there is that theme from Nr.3 again. PLEASE mail to me what it is!!!
6. Lake Constance: Film Music. I always tried to convince friends that Mike is the Beethoven of our Century. This piece has the sound, but not the genius.
7. Mastermind: Boring Intro. Then "Shadows"-Guitar sound. I miss the screaming Electric we love so well. Come on, Mike, and play solo!! Instead: a boring MIDI demo. I can download thousands of them from the web.
8. Broad...: Where from do I know this piano theme? MAIL to me, I'm dying!!! Is it Dire Straits?? Telegraph Road ??? PLEASE check!
9. Liberation: That child again! "Look Mama, there's an aeroplane up in the sky" (Pink Floyd). Then an "Ommadawn" chorus. AHHH! There is the screaming electric. FINALLY! And then Science Fiction. Great!!
10. Amber Light: Oh no, I can't stand this. SKIP!
11. TMB: Sounds a little like Platinum. Using just 2 chords is also OK. But then! LOVE PARADE!! Terrible!!!
Bonn, about 09:20 pm, good night.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 01 1999, 15:27

Oh wait...!!
The last track has much more about it than I thought!
Seems, this is Mike, loud and clear!
I'll write a review just about Track 11.
Just give me time.
Carsten

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 20 1999, 08:27

So, this is the final disillusion. From Voyager I felt that something is wrong with Mike's music and MB - impotent album with a few trivial ideas is the sick evidence.
I'm afraid, he has nothing to more offer.
MB is pseudoworld and pseudodance creature.
Majestic but full of empty. Maybe good business.
39 replies since Nov. 28 1999, 09:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net