Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Review in the Danish newspaper Politiken< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Elf Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 03 2008, 04:43

The original Danish text can be found here -> http://ibyen.dk/musik/cd-beat/article489338.ece

Sounds like New Age
It has never been possible for the 55 year old Mike Oldfield to overcome or even come close to the classic Tubular Bells from 1973, where he combined pop like themes with compositional music, repeated over and over again. Maybe as a consequence of this he is now finally attempting to do a almost pure classical album.

Which means that Music of the Spheres really is nothing but a collection of sappy compositions, sounding like something found in the wake of Tubular Bells, which really removes the play fullness of the latter work. Mike Oldfield has ended up in a vacuum, that sounds more like New Age or themes from really lousy tv shows than classical music.

How old heroes fade when the past overshadows present.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 04:58

I hate people who review records without bothering to listen to them.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Unregistered

Posted: April 03 2008, 08:48

Well, the Danish newspapers are lame CXXXSUCKERS..

I have written to the biggest newspapers in Denmark and there is NO reaction or reviews...and now this shit from politiken..

It´s almost seem to be a code in the danish music critics...one is not allowed to speak nicely about MO.

I CAN´T EVEN FUCKING REMEMBER when the last time was, I saw something positive about his music..

(but hey, they have old Whitney Houston collection at no. 13 in the hitlists)  
If it is not mainstream, they just don´t understand and embrace it.....MORONS!   :(

Don´t travel to Denmark to appreciate art, it´s cultural wasteland
and fewer and fewer buy art nowadays.. (sic)
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 09:19

Denmark gave us Smurfs though,and pastries so it can't be all bad.Seriously though this is just the sort of sh*t that i expect from idiot critics.Most are failed musicians anyway and full of bitterness.The fact that this is clearly the best MO album in years has obviously escaped this particular prat.The 'a series of sappy compositions' is the give away though.Although it's devided ala TBII it's really 2 parts.Arsehole!!! :(

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: April 03 2008, 10:04

Quote (The Caveman @ April 03 2008, 14:19)
Denmark gave us Smurfs though,and pastries so it can't be all bad.Seriously though this is just the sort of sh*t that i expect from idiot critics.Most are failed musicians anyway and full of bitterness.The fact that this is clearly the best MO album in years has obviously escaped this particular prat.The 'a series of sappy compositions' is the give away though.Although it's devided ala TBII it's really 2 parts.Arsehole!!! :(

Yep   :/

The "critic" from politiken gave it a 1 but the listeners have given it 4½ (out of 5)..

The Danish critics are a bunch of inbred tree-hugging stupid surrender monkeys which only listen to death trash metal and don´t have the ability to write something positive, unless they have a banana stuck up in their bum-hole..    ;)
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 03 2008, 11:44

He did nothing much; he just ripped the album a new one. Are we supposed to kill him, or something?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 12:00

I think the issue here is that he didn't seem to have even listened to it.No point gfetting streesed though.As Oldfield fans we're used to it are we not?

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 12:10

Quote (The Caveman @ April 03 2008, 12:00)
I think the issue here is that he didn't seem to have even listened to it.

Well, to me, it doesn't sound like it. I can perfectly see why one would find the album a collection of sappy compositions and/or TV show themes after listening to it. I find that entirely plausible.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 12:21

Ok so you don't like it.That's fine as i don't like some Oldfield stuff.It was just a tad scathing and i was in a bad mood :)

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 12:31

Just a small thing this really, but do we have to have such bad language to express our feelings? I swear but I don't type it to be read by other people, I say it under my breath! Strong feelings can be vented in other ways, try it, you might even learn some new words...I've said this before but Tubular.net is a great place to find out all kinds of things and I hope it remains that way, I for one don't want to see that change or the general tone of the site decline. It's good here, let's keep it that way.

I can't understand talking about such beautiful music (agreed?) and then using horrible, ugly words.

Sorry, I'm just a bit rattled by the language that's all. The discussion is interesting. ;)  ;)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 12:49

Yeah you have a point.Sorry if i have caused any offence. :/

--------------
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 14:10

Quote (Navaira @ April 03 2008, 04:58)
I hate people who review records without bothering to listen to them.

How do you know he didn't listen to it?
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 14:10

Quote (The Caveman @ April 03 2008, 09:19)
Denmark gave us Smurfs though

Actually, that was Belgium :)
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 14:12

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 03 2008, 12:10)
Quote (The Caveman @ April 03 2008, 12:00)
I think the issue here is that he didn't seem to have even listened to it.

Well, to me, it doesn't sound like it. I can perfectly see why one would find the album a collection of sappy compositions and/or TV show themes after listening to it. I find that entirely plausible.

I agree. I really like MOTS. It's the first Oldfield-album I've really enjoyed since TSODE, but I've got no problem understanding why someone would find it just the way he described it.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 15:47

Quote (The Caveman @ April 03 2008, 12:21)
Ok so you don't like it.That's fine as i don't like some Oldfield stuff.It was just a tad scathing and i was in a bad mood :)

I didn't say I didn't like the album, because I do like it. I said I find it plausible for one to dislike the album like that. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 17:00

We need to find that reviewer and torture him. We should also organize suicide bombings in largest Danish cities. They must pay! Death to the infidels! Long live the Tubularists! If they had actually given us the Smurfs, I might let things slide...

No seriously reviewers, Danish and others, badmouth MotS and Mike all you want if you really hate them that much, but it's a huge  
loss if you can't like it, your loss. That's what I'd say to them. I do understand why this particular review arouses contempt, and it bugs me too a little because it's pretty much the only one in Danish media, and it's so negative.
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 04 2008, 03:02

It has never been possible for the 55 year old Mike Oldfield to overcome or even come close to the classic Tubular Bells from 1973

I couldn't disagree more.

Which means that Music of the Spheres really is nothing but a collection of sappy compositions, sounding like something found in the wake of Tubular Bells

Mike Oldfield has ended up in a vacuum, that sounds more like New Age or themes from really lousy tv shows...

How old heroes fade when the past overshadows present.

Oh and Prisoner....

The Danish critics are a bunch of inbred tree-hugging stupid surrender monkeys which only listen to death trash metal and don´t have the ability to write something positive, unless they have a banana stuck up in their ...

Get off the fence and say what you think  ;)

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Legend Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 04:13

Being af dane I´m quite embarressed about all the bad reviews myself. Always 1/5!!!! Maybe I should leave my home country too!!?? Mallorca would be perfect...
The danish music magazine Gaffa gave MotS 1/5 as well telling Mike to go to the universe and listen to the sounds out there and never come back!!! How unserious!!!
I´m so sorry, I may not should have posted this...
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 04:33

Having read this review I am currently on the look out for some "Top 20 Worst Danish Television Theme Tune" albums.Especially those ones recorded in an air free environment by post hippy enlightened spacemen.Would love to get my hands on a boxed set of those babies.

Why am I suddenly thinking about Bruce Dern in Silent Running now?

[quote=Harmono,April 03 2008, 17:00][/quote]
If they had actually given us the Smurfs, I might let things slide...

:D So pleased I was`nt drinking my coffee when I read that as I`ve just bought this keyboard..I always thought The Smurfs came from Smurfland?(Where are we all coming from?..Don`t ask Caveman cos he is wrong.)..Hey not to worry caveman at least you were in the right continent.God only knows where in the hell Smurfland is?But to anyone who does know.I would maybe consider sending a team of "diplomats" out there, to see if those little blue guys are harbouring any wmd`s.Purely out of mild curiosity of course.

No seriously reviewers, Danish and others, badmouth MotS and Mike all you want if you really hate them that much, but it's a huge  
loss if you can't like it, your loss. That's what I'd say to them. I do understand why this particular review arouses contempt, and it bugs me too a little because it's pretty much the only one in Danish media, and it's so negative.

Completely agree with that.At the end of the day it`s no skin off my nose what any journalist/reviewer might make of this album.In all honesty I actually thought there may well heve been a few more reviews like this one prior to MOTS being released.Although I`m happy to say that for the most part it looks like I`ve been proved wrong on that.That said if that was the only kind of review that Mike`s album was recieving in my own country.I dare say I`d be a little bit annoyed about it."C`est la Vie" as they say in Copenhagen.  ;)

And Hey Legend don`t be sorry at all there.I`m sure you`re very proud to be Danish really,and there`s probablly a whole lot more Danish people out there who can`t get enough of Mike`s new album.And even if some of them don`t like it well let`s get those guys on here as well,so they can tell us all about it.The more the merrier that`s what I say. :)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 04:38

Quote (Legend @ April 04 2008, 04:13)
The danish music magazine Gaffa gave MotS 1/5 as well telling Mike to go to the universe and listen to the sounds out there and never come back!!!

LOL  :laugh:  Sorry, but that struck me as hilarious. I'm not worried over a few negative reviews, though it does kinda sound like the Danes have got it in for Mike. I just know that, one day, The Great Oldfieldian Epiphany will come, and all nincompoops of cloth-earedness will bow before The Wondrous One, overcome with awe and contrition. It will be a day of joyous revelry and the biggest game of Jenga ever.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
24 replies since April 03 2008, 04:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net