Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Review< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TheInfection Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 25 2002, 05:36

Okay, this isn't the best album. Nowhere near the best album actually. Some songs has something that makes you tap the table with your fingers but that's all. No actual emotions are stirred in the surface.

Even the instrumental track doesn't do much for me, but I guess that's the point. Mike wanted to rush the last album so he could escape Virgin and to start all over again.

But still I listen to HO time to time.

Regards,
TheInfection
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: July 04 2002, 15:54

songs are ok to me...but that MFTB...oh my...laugh or cry. anyways what's the deal with this dude -> :unclesam:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 05 2002, 06:39

funney....No Dream usually gets me playing drums on my lap. hmmm...i wonder what would happen if i tried playin guitar with it? :)...that would be fun. should try that.

no dream and heaven's open are my fav songs on this album.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 05 2002, 21:04

I still don't figure out why a lot of fans do demolish this album.... Oke, I know. Mike made it to tease Virgin, but it is still a very good album...

I always like the atmosphere it creates when playing. I usually play it when it is dark (represents the cover a bit... dark and black).

Music from the Balcony is my favourite. This one is THE big hit for me when it comes in creating THE atmosphere of the album. :)

Heaven's Open is also really beautiful. And of course the fact that Mike sings. He really sings great! (I don't think he can sing anymore now... his voice is to "rispy"... guess it is his smoking ;) )

And of course the other tracks are good listening stuff. But then again, I like all Oldfield songs.

Still beats me why a lot of fans dislike this album....

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Lightspeed Offline

Posted: July 11 2002, 09:56

Never bought this album.....i had the chance to but....

I am too scared  :/

--------------
"Thou Art In Heaven" :D
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 12 2002, 16:54

I actually think this album is one of my favourites believe it or not. The songs are the least sugary sweet he has ever written, the lyrics aren't half bad ( by his standards) and musically he's actually pushing the boat out pretty far in comparison to anything else songwise by him. And I have to admit here and now that I love MFTB. Its such an interesting piece of music again into new territory. Its not catchy and its very fragmented but thats where it succeeds IMHO. Check the bass sounds out in it as well , really lush. :)
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: July 13 2002, 09:42

Sorry, but this still remains Mike's worst album for me! His singing is 'OK' but at times he's struggling to get it out. MFTB is the only instumental by Mike that i've never liked enough to actually listen to all the way through - each time I try I end up turing it off. I appreciate that some like it but it's just not for me... ;)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 13 2002, 12:53

Music From The Balcony is, to me, a bit like a kind of synthetic Amarok...the structure is similar, just where Amarok had layers of acoustic instruments, Music From The Balcony has synth sounds and samples. Music From The Balcony is more dischordant, though, which is probably the reason so many fans don't like it...and then there's the sax...

I like the fact that the songs seem to mean a little bit more than some of his. I think they're well played as well, with Mike giving a powerful vocal performance.

Both Heaven's Open and Amarok have a really meaty bass end to them, something that's not quite the same on any of his other albums (though Tres Lunas is quite big in that department).
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 13 2002, 13:58

I agree completely but at least the sax here is real and played by Courtney Pine. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I here Various types of sax played on the album. He should of been asked to play on Tre3s Lunas it probebly would have made a very noticable difference. Another point and that is Tom Newman's production on the whole is really, really good (as allway's) on this album. The bottom end and other instruments all sound amazingly lush, I do wish Mike would work with him more often they do have a good partnership.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: May 31 2007, 06:01

I think this album gets a rough deal. I think I can understand why.

When Amarok came out just a while before it it was amazing, Mike was back on top, top form. When it was followed up by what seemed on the surface to be cheesy pop songs I think it put a lot of us off.

But over the years this album has grown incredibly on me. It has a sense of playfullness, prehaps given by Tom Newman's production, that makes it so enjoyable. It really sounds like they had fun in the studio making it.

Infact I would now go as far as to say it somewhat sounds like an extension of Amarok. Especially 'Music From The Balcony' on which you don't know where you're going to be taken next.

As far as pop songs go, they are far more credible and I think natural and organic than any of the songs between '85 and '88. I'm gutted more music didn't come out of this little phase of Oldfield history.

Bring back Tom Newman I say, he seems to really know how to get the best out Mike.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: May 31 2007, 08:10

Yes, here here to comments about Tom Newman... he does not get a huge barrel of mentions in the book!
Profile PM 
10 replies since Mar. 25 2002, 05:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net