Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Reversed" TB mix?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 16 2001, 18:41

Hi y'all. This is something I was discussing with Korgscrew in the chat room, some days ago, so, if he's the first to answer, I'm pleased. smile

Korgscrew was telling me that on his copy of the 25th anniversary TB, the left and right stereo channels are reversed in Part Two, i.e. what should be on left is on right and vice versa. I wasn't too convinced about it until, a few minutes ago, I listened to an mp3 of Drunk Hornpipe (I took it from Arrian Rutter's site, www.geo.uu.nl/~arutten/MikeOldfield.html). This, as you may know smile, is the "funny" version of the Hornpipe, with Viv Stanshall reciting a rather extravagant monologue before the proper Hornpipe starts, and which is only available on the Boxed version of TB. Well... the L-R reversal also happens on this track, i.e. for example, the chiming organ, which I always heard on the right channel, here is on the left one, and much louder than on my original TB CD confused. So I'd like to ask to you all a couple of questions:

1) Does this reversal also happen on your copy of Boxed TB?
2) Do you think that the Boxed mix was also used for the 25th anniversary remaster?

Thanx for reading.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 16 2001, 21:28

I'll answer both the questions in one go...

Yes, the positioning of instruments on the Boxed mix is different. However, it is more than just a 'reversed' version of the original. Parts like the fiddle are in the middle, instead of at one side (left or right, depending on which of my TB editions I play...).
The sound of the Boxed remix is, in places (most in fact), very different from the original. The 25th anniversary edition was presented as a reissue of the original album. It sounds like it as well. The balance on TB Part 2 is exactly the same, just the sides are reversed. Nobody else has noticed this - I think I may have a rogue copy...maybe it's a collectors' item wink.

I guess there's no easy way of me proving that this is so, short of me actually playing you my edition - any copies I might make could have been reversed in the copying. The difference is quite subtle, though, so it may be worth owners of the 25th anniversary remaster comparing it with an original edition to see if it shows this 'fault'. Of course, those people may not actually care - even now I've noticed it, it doesn't really bother me to listen to it.
Profile PM 
1 replies since Mar. 16 2001, 18:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net