Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: reset, The mysterious power of Tubular Bells< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 30 2008, 16:46

For several weeks now, and for a variety of reasons, I have been very unsettled. Life has been a bit hectic. My usual solution to this problem is to reach for music to help me think things through. Largely due to an ever deepening curiosity, I have been flitting from one artist to another (coming back to Muse often) and trying lots of new stuff. These days you do get to hear so much more. I could say too much more! And to be honest, whilst it's absolutely fascinating this discovering of music - a bit addictive really - it is also a bit like information overload!!!

What I'm getting round to saying is this, today was a beautiful, bright & cold, clear winter's morning. As I drove to work I listened to Tubular Bells. And after all those years, and all those listens, it was sheer magic. I heard it as though it was for the first time. It's got some kind of energy in it, around it or through it, I just don't know what it is or how to describe it but at the end of my journey ( and nearly at the end of side one,) I emerged from the car as a different person. Ridiculous, daft, stupid thing to say, but it did reset me. I simply felt better. Music did that. Tubular Bells did that. Amazing. It took away all the mad, crazyness of life and showed me that there is a base, a solid foundation, always to come back to. It's always there. And if I hadn't found it all those years ago, well I just don't think I'd be the same person.

Sorry, had to get it off my chest!!! :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Mark Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2008, 17:12

It sounds like you ended up having a great day. Thanks for sharing that.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2008, 17:22

What a wonderful life-affirming and heart-warming post. Thanks Tracey.

I'm not going to attempt a reply - just catch your eye, and nod. No more needs to be said.
Profile PM 
Ciderginaspro Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2008, 01:46

I understand you.
Mike's music, and in general musics I love, gives me that feeling.
When I'm ill, sad, or depressed, I listen to his music and it comforts me.
It's so beautiful that I could cry, it changes me and fulls me with energy and good mood. I don't talk about it around me, because people will say I'm crazy !!
Tubular Bells, and others Mike's, is incredible and each time I listen to it, I have the impression to discover it.
Mike said that he put all his feelings and history into TB, I think that can explain the impression TB gives to us.
Sorry for my english; not my mother language!!!
have a nice day, full of music and love
Claire
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2008, 11:11

Hi.I totally understand you.I feel that to me,TB is like a safety blanket that young children have,I've been listening to TB sinse i was a toddler (actualy i probably heard it first in the womb-i have such a cool dad)in the late 70's and it's always a peice of music i come back to as it's so familiar and comforting but then i will hear something different now and then.Of all Mike's albums (and there are sooooo many)it's this one that draws me back most often when things get too much,as they often do. ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Jan. 30 2008, 16:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net