Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: requiem< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
oblique Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 10 2002, 22:23

Like Mike said in his latest promovideo someone made him the suggestion for a relaxation album.
Now perhaps I can convince him to write a requiem as soon as his deal with Warner Spain (for his TB1-remake and the next MVR episode) ends.

To the most of you this subject may be a bit morbid, but I'm quite serious about this.

I know he is capable of creating such a piece of music. For instance: compare with Lake Constance, The Wind Chimes part 1 and some pieces of Incantations and Mont St. Michel.

If you just let go of your creepy thoughts, and imagine a masterpiece as Mozarts Requiem but in an Oldfield way, perhaps, who knows...

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: May 11 2002, 00:34

i reckon that would be wicked. I like muisc like that. Stuff like Philip Glass

. kool

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: May 11 2002, 16:37

do you mean cover of some mozarts stuff...no'o that sounds bad

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: May 11 2002, 18:26

No , it was ment to be an original composition.
Not a coverversion....

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: May 12 2002, 17:35

Let me put something clear now. I enjoy life and living very much, and I would regret not being able to hear Mike's music when my time has come...
Now then. Back to this topic:
Over the years I've had various conversations with people about what kind of music they would like to have played at their funeral/cremation. It's not something that you think about every day, but it seemed to me that the people I spoke all had in mind some piece of music that they favoured very much. This varied from classical music to rockand everything in between. At some point in your life you decide what to do when you've come to an end. And to me it seemed only right that I would like to have played a piece of music composed especialy for the occasion by my favourite musician.

I'm not sick, I'm not old, I'm not planning to leave early.

The only thing I am curious about is the question wether I'm the only Mike Oldfield fan who has ever given this a thougt.
And judging the number of responses so far there isn't much interest in a special piece of music for a special occasion.
Come to think of it, maybe I'm the oldest fan Mike has (turning 40 this year).
But this can't have anything to do with it, can it now?

--------------
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: May 13 2002, 09:47

It's not that outrageous a suggestion. After all, Paul McCartney wrote the "Liverpool Oratorio," which was very well received by the classical community. Billy Joel's "Fantasies and Allusions" has been equally welcomed, and it's a style of piano playing he's always wanted to try.

Personally, I love masses and requiems for the power and conviction they convey through music. Given Oldfield's ability to draw emotion from a listener with his playing, I think a Requiem--even if it builds on an established classical base--could be gorgeous.
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: May 13 2002, 10:31

Thank you, thank you...

I have tried to imagine this yet to be written piece to sound somewhat similar to Incantations, or in the same style, but with the same impact as Elgar's The Kingdom.

--------------
Profile PM 
6 replies since May 10 2002, 22:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net