Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Remastered?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
rollosb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 04 2002, 08:07

Is there any difference between the remastered version of Tubular Bells and the original record (I mean cover, back cover, music)?

By the way, could you tell me, if the remastered version starts with a grand piano or something? Just because that's the way I love it. Tubular Bells is fabulous.

--------------
Rollo - The Psychedelic Freaky Guy
Profile PM WEB 
rollosb Offline

Posted: April 04 2002, 08:58

I heard somewhere, that the "plus, Tubular Bells" and "Double Speed Guitar"-dialogues are removed from the remastered version...is that true?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 04 2002, 21:21

The music on the remaster is identical to the original. I don't know where the story of the missing 'double speed guitar' and 'plus tubular bells' intro parts comes from - there's no truth in it as far as I'm aware.

The main cover artwork is the same, but some new sleeve notes have been included (you can find more detailed notes about the album on the net, though, like as the information you'll find here on tubular.net).

The difference between the remastered version and the original CD release is the improved sound quality and, although there are those who feel that vinyl offers better quality than CD (I won't go into that here...), people generally feel that the CD remaster is an improvement over the LP's sound quality as well.
Profile PM 
rollosb Offline

Posted: April 05 2002, 09:19

Thanks so much! I'm not frightened anymore...I'm a perfectionist. Tubular Bells definitely is the best record of MO.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas
Unregistered

Posted: April 10 2005, 06:54

Sorry for restarting a very old thread, but I have the following question conserning possible remasters:

I have the original stereo TB LP, the Boxed TB, and the "complete" CD with the final part of TB part 1.  The follwoing is about this final part.

On the Boxed LP, one hears the voice "grand piano" on the opposite side as the piano starts later on.

On the CD and the original TB LP (version with coloured label already), the voice and piano start on the same side.  Also I hear lots more panning in the CD and the TB LP than on the Boxed LP: many the instrument walk from side to side during the melody.

Also (but this can be due to wear) on the Boxed LP one can hardly hear the very quiet organ during the bass part preceding "grand piano", which is clearly there on the TB LP and complete CD section.

Do I have an equipment problem or is this difference on Boxed standard?

Nicolas
Nicolas
Unregistered

Posted: April 10 2005, 07:16

Is it because the Boxed LP's are quadrophonic? I never knew I owned quadrophonic LP's :).

If that's the case, I have to say on stereo the stereo LP sounds better than the quad concerning panning.  I assume the silent organ was brought to an aft channel on the quad mix?  And the instrument showdown was heavily quadrophonized, which results in a totally different stereo image?

Nicolas
Nicolas
Unregistered

Posted: April 10 2005, 07:22

Some further listening; the rest of the boxed LP's sounds on stereo equipment rather identical to the quad LP's on stereo equipment.  SO I guess it is the heavy quadrophonic effects on TB's showdown that create a differnt stereo image on that part.

Any experience with this?
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 10 2005, 12:34

Yes, the finale section is handled quite differently in the quad mix. Rather than the instruments panning from left to right, they remain static, each taking its own corner as they build up. The organ is, from what I remember, fairly low in the mix.

When playing quadrophonic LPs in stereo, the mix stays the same, just everything intended for the rear is mixed in with the front signals (that applies whether it was encoded with one of the matrix systems - SQ and QS - or one of the FM systems - CD4 and UD-4, the difference being that you can copy a matrix encoded recording to another stereo machine using normal stereo playback equipment without losing the encoding).

It's not just the finale which puts important things in the rear channels, though - the whole album does. The differences are less noticeable, but they are there to be heard, even in stereo. The different relative levels of things are what stand out most.
Profile PM 
Nicolas
Unregistered

Posted: April 10 2005, 13:36

Thanks for the info. I also compared Hergest ridge SQ quad (Boxed) and stereo LP.

My normal LP is a bit worn, but the differences at the "storm" (the distorted part that covers half of side2) are amazing.
The quad LP is much brighter.  Though on the stereo LP I clearly hear female choirs at the beginning of the storm, while I can't really hear them on the quad mix (all played in stereo).

Well, it's nice to have different versions.  That way, I can choose a versio according to my mood :).  I've got the Ommadawn LP too, but not overhere, so I can't compare those yet.
Nicolas
Unregistered

Posted: April 10 2005, 13:38

I forgot to mention that I also can't hear the finger snapping or what is it at the wilder parts of the storm in the quad version.
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 10 2005, 19:53

Quote (Guest @ April 10 2005, 19:38)
I forgot to mention that I also can't hear the finger snapping or what is it at the wilder parts of the storm in the quad version.

It's a nutcracker. Mike removed it when he remixed HR into quad.

Off Topic (@ Korgscrew): Does TB's quad mix (which as far as I remember is on the Boxed CDs too) put things on the rear channels also when played through a Pro Logic II decoder?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: April 10 2005, 20:30

If you want pleasure, go for the older, more experienced one....so ive been told!!!!!  ;)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 10 2005, 20:35

Quote (Ugo @ April 11 2005, 00:53)
Does TB's quad mix (which as far as I remember is on the Boxed CDs too) put things on the rear channels also when played through a Pro Logic II decoder?

Yes, it ought to. Pretty much any stereo album will, to a certain extent.

You're right that this is off topic though - any more posts about the differences between the mixes on Boxed and their stereo equivalents are best placed in the Boxed forum area.
Profile PM 
12 replies since April 04 2002, 08:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net