Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Remaster - sally?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 03 2002, 16:19

Yes, I believe that Richard Branson took a personal disliking to the song. It was swapped with 'Into Wonderland' after the first few pressings - I thought the case was the same with cassettes, so if you bought that tape new, it's interesting that it had Sally on it (perhaps it had been sat there all that time...).
Profile PM 
Bones Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 03 2003, 16:18

Not that it really matters any more but i used to own a cassette of Platinum which had the original Sally (I'm Just a Gorilla) on it.  I made the mistake of lending it to someone who promptly lost it.

--------------
Amarokin' All Over the World

"Music is at its best when listened to in the dark"
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 25 2007, 09:30

Does Sally appear on any CD whatsoever? I don't mean Platinum but rather collections or live offerings?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 26 2007, 06:31

No!
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 26 2007, 06:33

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 03 2002, 22:19)
Yes, I believe that Richard Branson took a personal disliking to the song. It was swapped with 'Into Wonderland' after the first few pressings - I thought the case was the same with cassettes, so if you bought that tape new, it's interesting that it had Sally on it (perhaps it had been sat there all that time...).

Mike's LP Platinum (V2142) was released in November 1979. This LP was also to produce a rare track as the first 30.000 copies included the track Sally, which was written for his then companion Sally Cooper. Virgin, and especially Branson himself, decided at the twelfth hour that the track was not suitable for release and replaced it with Into Wonderland. Unfortunately, due to Virgin wanting to release the LP for Christmas they released records with printed covers and labels crediting the original Sally track, whilst utilising the new Into Wonderland. It therefore became impossible, when only looking at the cover, to tell which version was which. Luckily it was then discovered that by looking at the matrix number scratched on the record surface you could determine that the original Sally version had the number V2141-B-1 whilst the Into Wonderland version carried the matrix V2141-B-3. Today the original version is one of the most sought after recordings.

Source: www.mikeoldfield.org

:cool:
Profile PM 
24 replies since June 08 2000, 06:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net