Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Remaster - sally?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
rosko Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 08 2000, 06:02

Just posting this message because I was wondering if the new remastered version of Platinum has the original Sally. Also, how good is the remastering? I always thought the sound quality on Platinum (CD 2141 version) sounded a bit distorted.

Wow, the first post on the Platinum forum!!
WHAT AN HONOUR!!
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 09 2000, 16:04

Actually, I was hoping to hear the origional "Sally" someday. All I've heard is "Into Wonderland," which is the weak track on the album, and I'm hoping that "Sally" will get rid of that weak spot in the center of the album. Although I'd like to know the same thing you do, I have no idea what the origional Sally even is like.

But, what does "remastering" do for the music?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 09 2000, 18:45

You should be able to find an MP3 or similar of Sally on one of the rare MO sites that you'll find in the links section here. From what I've heard of it, I wouldn't really say it fills a weak spot at all, but I'll leave you to judge that. It's fun, though.

Remastering basically alters the sound quality (if they're doing the job well, it should enhance it wink) - they can pull all sorts of tricks like altering the 'tonal balance' (amounts of treble, bass, etc), removing pops and clicks and altering levels of tracks...as well as much more...
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 10 2000, 02:33

I just listened to the mp3 of the origional "Sally" from RareOldfield. I must say, it's different from what I expected: the beat is the same as "Into Wonderland."

But this "Sally" fits more into the Platinum theme; it just has that guitar pitch and mood that makes it fit in quite well. This wasn't done with "Into Wonderland," which seemed more of an interruption than part of the album (IMHO).

I'd rather have the originoal Sally (which I'm not dissapointed in, at all! Even though I'm hearing the slightly distorted mp3 version) on Platinum, than "Into Wonderland"! You were right; it is fun, and has a much more catchy beat and theme than Into Wonderland!

I hope they put it back on. It would make me buy the CD again ;-). Except for the fact of "digitally restored." Reminds me too much of "remixed in quad" with TB1 from the original to Boxed.

I personally don't like the remixed version of TB1 on Boxed, but rather the origional. This digital remastering thing makes me nervous of the same types of results on the rest of the albums.

[This message has been edited by Fox (edited 06-10-2000).]
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: June 11 2000, 07:19

The boxed version of TB wasn't "digitally remastered" as such a thing didn't exist at the time. Instead, it is an alternative mix of the tracks from the master tapes.

Generally, when digital remastering is used, the purpose is to improve the sound quality while making very little change to the original mix. That's probably what the new remastered albums are like. The boxed albums were made for the purpose of a different mix, not improved sound quality.

By the way, I'm surprised nobody has answered my question. Hasn't anyone actually bought any of the remasters yet??!!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 12 2000, 17:59

I haven't bought any of the remasters yet, but people that I've spoken to who have seem to think the remastering has been done well (and these guys can be critical beyond belief...). It seems that any noticable change is for the better. Just what I've heard though...
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 13 2000, 02:44

well, I hope so. It's just the thought of "remastering" that makes me nervous that in doing to they'll take some character away from the music.

What you say about "Boxed" makes sence. I hope that they will change the sound of the music for the better (less distortion, volume regularity, etc). I must be confusing "remixed" with "remastered."

But if the new Platinum includes the origional Sally, it'll be enough to make me buy the album again!
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: June 13 2000, 08:43

I'll post the URL of the original Sally mp3 if anyone wants it but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do it. Could someone please tell me if I am?
Profile PM 
Mlokie Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2000, 04:47

Maybe this is not actual here anymore.. but I finally bought the remastered CD and I wonder why there is still Into Wonderland track with Sally written in notes.
Profile PM 
toMtOm Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2000, 08:00

Hi!
It means that Virgin did it again! Nothing special on these new remastered CDs! It is only business for RB...

A little bit off:
Earlier we heard that the in tha case of Hergest Ridge the LP version will be on the remastered CD but when it was published we had to see that it was a false info. Almost just the same with the Platinum remastered CD... In this case I think it is worthless to buy these "new" CD-s cause nothing special on them... It is a shame! frown
on

Other.
You know that the first MO music was the Platinum for me (of course except Moonlight Shadow wink and I loved immediately this kind of music. And later, when I listened other MO pieces I recognized that it was good choice for me. I mean listening and living in MO's music smile
Profile PM 
Mlokie Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2000, 08:33

Almost nothing new, that's true, even Dave Laing mentions here about Sally, not IW! But despite of it, the sound is better (lower noise etc.).
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2000, 14:06

Yeah, I was this summer in London, and bought some remasters, including Platinum. As expected, nothing sounded new. They said there were going to be new pictures in it, but I knew all those pictures! And in the sleeve of Platinum they talked about Sally, but Into Wonderland is on the cd!!! What a ripp off!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2000, 20:42

They do actually sound slightly different. It perhaps takes a some very high quality listening equipment to detect a real difference though. They generally seem to be a bit meatier in the low end and have a slightly more clean and sparkly top end (if that description helps at all...hey, it's better than the odd hand gestures I normally describe sounds with - nobody understands those...). The differences are sometimes very slight, though, and as nothing else is different (apart from the sleeves...), it's probably not worth a lot of fans buying them.
It's still good that they've been remastered, though - just to ensure the best possible quality for future buyers. It's whether exsisting owners need them that's more of a question...
Profile PM 
GRAHAM MANSON Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2001, 10:06

A few years ago a friend gave me a cassette copy of Platinum while he was having a clear out. It contained the original version of Sally. It's probably worth checking this out as i believe the tapes were produced before the records so more copies escaped. Have a look in 2nd hand stores etc. as you'll be surprised how many there are. I know another 2 people who have the tapes. What i do have is the early edition of the Blue Peter single with the ending which was cosidered by d.js. to be too abrupt. This was demonstrated on the programme many years ago but I'm sure that this is a real rarity. Any comments on this would be welcome. Cheerio noo, Graham.
Profile PM WEB 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: July 27 2001, 09:42

Just picked up the Caroline editon of Platinum. A few funny/odd things. First is that on the back cover, it notes that tracks 1-4 are "Platimum." That's their typo, not mine. Also, the track listing notes "Sally," but when you get there, up pops IW! (Which, by the way, I've always liked. Nice smooth vocals."

The good thing about this edition is that I'd never heard Woodhenge before. Very silky, ambient-feeling piece.

(My only other version of this album was the US release "Airborn," which had "Guilty" rather than "Woodhenge" and IW in place of "Sally.")

Still--great CD to own. I could listen to Platinum all day.
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2002, 05:27

I wonder if the HCDC version has the orginal Sally on it. The CD we have of it has Into Wonderland. I reckon the new remastered versions of Platinum should have both Sally and Into Wonderland. I think that would be much cooler.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 02 2002, 12:48

Although I don't have this edition, I am 99% sure that the HDCD Platinum doesn't have Sally on it. As mirwais57 says, a definitive version would have both Sally AND Into Wonderland on the disc. Also, I would like to see the Impressions version of I Got Rhythm also included, and a nice booklet with decent photos from that period, intelligent and enlightening sleeve nots and the ORIGINAL LP FONT ON THE COVER. With Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, Incantations and Platinum, the original stylish fonts from the LP artwork was replaced with horrible chunky text for the CD versions which looks far worse IMO. If Virgin cared at all, the reissues would have been done in the style mentioned above. As it is, well Virgin are full of surprises...NOT!!!

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Shingebis Offline

Posted: April 02 2002, 16:58

I've got the HDCD remaster, and it only has Into Wonderland on it. That doesn't stop them from quoting the lyrics to Sally in the liner notes, though...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 02 2002, 18:29

I have to admit, I don't particularly like having bonus tracks on albums - I feel that an album should be a thoughtfully put together collection of songs, not just a bunch of any old things. I find that bonus tracks tend to drag the album towards being the latter, having been slapped on there by someone at the record company rather than being carefully chosen by somebody perhaps better suited to making the decision.

With Platinum, we have the case of it having been interfered with anyway, when Sally was replaced...so what's the better way of doing it - having the original song in its place, which people may not be used to and therefore not like , or keep it as it is, even though the song included isn't the one that Mike intended?
Or, if you must have both, which one do you put in the place of Sally (I would assume Sally, given the way it fits in with Punkadiddle) - you hit against the familiarity thing again (people complaining because it's not like the album they remember from their LP/old CD/etc) and by placing a song at the end, risk placing it out of context...

I personally think that a separate collection with out-takes, B-sides, etc would be preferable - tracks could perhaps be grouped according to what album they'd been associated with. Will it happen? Who knows - its been talked about before, but nothing has happened yet and maybe never will do...but there's always hope...
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 03 2002, 10:33

I love the original SALLY - I had the tape which I bought in the early eighties and then lost it in the early nineties - pah!

When I bought the CD I was shocked and dissapointed to hear 'Into Wonderland' - why did the original Sally (which is FAR better) get knocked off the album ? Is it simply because Virgin felt is was too 'funny' or what?

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
24 replies since June 08 2000, 06:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net