Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Religious references?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 27 2009, 06:47

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 25 2009, 13:54)
I know that speculation, many times, is all we're left with. But the speculation in this thread is pretty much circular, based more on personal bias than on observation of facts. But that's not even the main problem: I don't think speculation alone should lead to judgments.

Tish and pshaw. How is it circular? It's not based on personal bias, either, simply on the fact that Clarke's words are ambiguous. And what "judgment" are you talking about? Any more of this ambiguous writing, Sir M, and I'll nominate you for the Arthur C Clarke memorial award!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 27 2009, 13:20

I hate to go around pointing fingers and dissecting people's speech, but I don't wanna come across as vague and ambiguous either. I'm doing this only for clarification, not because I wanna "win" any argument:

That "lives up to my expectations", the more I read it the more I'm sure it's a polite put-down. I find myself asking: why didn't Clarke like it?

See, you say there's no personal bias because Clarke's words are ambiguous. But in that statement, you're taking your personal, subjective interpretation of that "ambiguous" speech and making a judgment out of that. You're not asking "why Clarke wouldn't like it", but you're asking "why he DIDN'T like it", as if you had already confirmed that fact. Same thing here:

He wasn't being haughty; he was being polite. He didn't want to offend MO, but at the same time didn't want to say he liked something he didn't.

As for circular, yes. Smillsoid contradicts your argument:

I think you've mistaken Clarke's respectful, measured style for hautiness.

and then shrugs it off:

I think you both need to study discursive psychology.

and then you go back to your original point:

If these people like something, why don't they just come out and say so?

and Smillsoid defends his point again:

Clarke is attempting to remain 'objective' in his assessment of Mike's work, whilst endorsing it - a tricky operation.

and so on and on. The debate wasn't converging towards a consensus -- people were just running around, biting each other's tail. Tension was rising. Not that I think people should not dump their opinions and shut up; it's just that tere was tension being raised here with no necessity. Worse: I think I'm just contributing to that now...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 27 2009, 21:36

I rest my case.

* rolls eyes *

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 28 2009, 01:03

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 27 2009, 13:20)
I hate to go around pointing fingers and dissecting people's speech, but I don't wanna come across as vague and ambiguous either. I'm doing this only for clarification, not because I wanna "win" any argument:

That "lives up to my expectations", the more I read it the more I'm sure it's a polite put-down. I find myself asking: why didn't Clarke like it?

See, you say there's no personal bias because Clarke's words are ambiguous. But in that statement, you're taking your personal, subjective interpretation of that "ambiguous" speech and making a judgment out of that. You're not asking "why Clarke wouldn't like it", but you're asking "why he DIDN'T like it", as if you had already confirmed that fact. Same thing here:

He wasn't being haughty; he was being polite. He didn't want to offend MO, but at the same time didn't want to say he liked something he didn't.

As for circular, yes. Smillsoid contradicts your argument:

I think you've mistaken Clarke's respectful, measured style for hautiness.

and then shrugs it off:

I think you both need to study discursive psychology.

and then you go back to your original point:

If these people like something, why don't they just come out and say so?

and Smillsoid defends his point again:

Clarke is attempting to remain 'objective' in his assessment of Mike's work, whilst endorsing it - a tricky operation.

and so on and on. The debate wasn't converging towards a consensus -- people were just running around, biting each other's tail. Tension was rising. Not that I think people should not dump their opinions and shut up; it's just that tere was tension being raised here with no necessity. Worse: I think I'm just contributing to that now...

Sir M, the words are ambiguous, but extra-linguistic considerations (how Smillsoid must be rolling his optics at that word) enable one to incline towards one view rather than another. As another example, consider the sentence "he was seen by the coffee machine". As it stands, the words are ambiguous, but one's view of the world (are coffee meachines intelligent?) enables one to interpret.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 28 2009, 09:17

Well, I'm glad we've cleared all of that up.  That is 'cleared all of that up' in the metaphorical sense, not literally, because we couldn't clear up something together, as we're in different parts of the world, and we haven't actually identified what physical embodied entity we are theoretically attempting to utilize parts of our bodies to as it were 'clear up'.  OK - clarified.  You've clarifed it...or rather we have.  Everyone happy?  Have I mentioned I like Arthur C. Clarke?

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2011, 07:15

Quote (nightspore @ April 21 2009, 08:06)
He wasn't being haughty; he was being polite. He didn't want to offend MO, but at the same time didn't want to say he liked something he didn't. I remember Sweetpea came to the same conclusion.

Might this not of been because A.C.Clarke felt Mike had added the religious slant to the music & video & it was this he was unhappy about? that is if you are right in your interpretation of his words Nightspore.

READERS of this topic should maybe watch the video for "LET THERE BE LIGHT" & the short video Mike made explaining it, as they may shed shed loads of light upon the music   :laugh:

VIDEOS CAN BE WATCHED HERE http://tubular.net/forums....;t=2096

To my eyes it does have some religious connections but not to anyone particular faith more to all or many of the fundamental ideas which are scattered throughout the worlds faiths and even have roots in early science that which we now call earth sciences or parallels in modern day science which also find that much of what was understood long ago is only now being reborn as truths or wisdom.

To me it is a sort of coming together or meeting of SCIENCE & RELIGION, possibly explaining the words "OMINOUS THOUGHTLESS SCIENCE" at 2':43" in the video where we see the walking/riding on\through water section of the video, which is followed by the shot of Mikes head on hand in deep thought either radiating or receiving thoughts (take a good look! which way do the waves travel? OUT OR INWARDS?).

I am not positive about all the words if any at all so please do not bite me like a dog for trying to feed you my/our thoughts on what these words may be or their possible meanings.  What I believe I may also hear are the words "OMINOUS FAULTLESS SCIENCE" or/& maybe "SILENCE" in the place of the word science.
HAPPY VIEWING EVERYONE, I1...
PS. don't get eye strain especially of the eye of the mInd\braIn     ;)

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
45 replies since Jan. 12 2001, 23:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net