Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Release of 1974 Wyatt album with Mike as guest< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 22:28

Scheduled for release on October 10th is a new CD of Robert Wyatt live at the Theatre Royal in Drury Lane London. The concert includes Mike Oldfield on guitar, as well as many other guest musicians. This is the first time the recording has been officially released.

The CD is being released by Hannibal records - more information can be found at Rykodisc/Hannibal's website.

(Thanks to Giuliano Plenevici of mikeoldfield.it)
Profile PM 
mcguitar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 05:47

This record has been released before in 1994 by a Arc.

I have a copy of the Drury Lane concert London August 1974.
The sound quality is poor but you can hear Mike Oldfields guitar sound obviously in a view tracks. At least on Little Red Robin Hood hit the road and on a cover of I'm a believer.
I also read somehwere that he did also some keyboard.
Profile PM 
Oldfieldvr Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 11:42

This is the original concert poster with Mike in wheelchair ;)

http://www.lacoctelera.com/myfiles/ls/drurylanead2.jpg
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 12:08

If you look at the poster it also says that Nick Mason is in the line-up! Never knew Mike and Nick played together! But I do have an album by Mason on which he collaborates with Rick Fenn, from the Mike Oldfield Group, early 80's.

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 16:42

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Oct. 09 2005, 12:08)
But I do have an album by Mason on which he collaborates with Rick Fenn, from the Mike Oldfield Group, early 80's.

And what a dreadful album that is (Profiles)! I was expecting something better because I appreciated Rick Fenn's input on FMO. I have some music that the pair did for a film called "white of the eye", which is actually better than Profiles. Also, from what I understand the albums they put out were more or less bi-products of the the music they were making for TV-ads at that time (they had a company together).

Also, Maggie Reilly sings a track on Profiles. I'm pretty sure Nick knew her through Mike, so it seems the two were in contact at least occasionally.
I also think Maggie appears in the video for "life for a lie". Am I right?

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 18:08

You're right that Maggie sings on that song, yes, together with David Gilmour. Never seen the video though... And I have to admit that it's not exactly a brilliant album! Nicks first LP Fictitious Sports, was a lot better. But that one's without our Maggie :O .

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 15:36

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Oct. 09 2005, 18:08)
Never seen the video though...

I saw it once around the time it was released (ca 1985?) on Swedish TV. It featured Maggie, Dave Gilmour, Mason and Fenn performing the songs sitting in comfy chairs in a studio. Not exactly great art, but anyway.
I agree that Fictiocious sports is better. It's quite good in fact.
What about Rick Wright's "Zee" album? That was even worse IMO.

Lars T

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 16:17

Well, Zee is very dated, but I have to say that I really like it. But maybe more because I've always liked Ricks input in Floyd...

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 07:32

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Oct. 10 2005, 16:17)
Well, Zee is very dated, but I have to say that I really like it. But maybe more because I've always liked Ricks input in Floyd...

But Zee is so "un-rick"! I love Broken China and Wet Dream - melancholic and romantic art-rock, nut untlike Roxy Music's quieter moments. Zee lands somewhere between Howard Jones and italo-disco. But Confusion is a catchy song anyway...I shouldn't be too hard on Rick. He's the *sensetive* Floyd! ;-)

About Rick's contribution to the Floyd: I absolutely *adore* the two songs he wrote for Saucerful of Secrets. I would die to hear a whole album of songs like that.

Lars T

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 11:34

You're right about Saucerful of Secrets... wonderful!
I've read that had years of psychiatrist help because of the way Roger treated him...  (other Oldfield fans might enjoy his Broken China album as well, especially Night of a thousand furry toys!;)

..."Remember a day before today
A day when you were young"... :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 12:59

I think it would be better if you were to start a new topic in Other Artists for any more discussion on things that aren't the Robert Wyatt album this topic is about. Either that or we'll change the entire orientation of the forum to being one about lawnmowers and potato soup. You have been warned ;).
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 13:20

I'm truly sorry! You're right!
Have I mentioned that I really like Robert Wyatts music?  ;)  That brings us back to the subject, doesn't it!
Greetings from Holland! :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 16:30

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Oct. 11 2005, 13:20)
 That brings us back to the subject, doesn't it!

Yes it does! I love all Robert's albums. Old Rottenhat and Dondestan are really underrated albums. Actually, it was through Mike Oldfield that I discovered the whole Canterbury scene (the Soft Machine connection).
Another group that I think MO fans should love is Caravan. Their "In the land of grey and pink" album has that early 70s pastoral vibe.

Lars T

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
12 replies since Oct. 07 2005, 22:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net