Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Release date< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
trcanberra Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 20:47

Quote (Alan D @ Mar. 25 2008, 06:08)
Quote (Sweetpea @ Mar. 25 2008, 04:55)
Well, I remember nearly calling you a 'curmudgeon' (for which I still feel kinda guilty), Alan, but you must be awfully thick-skinned as you barely even noticed.

Let us unravel this:

1. I deliberately plant in your path an opportunity for confrontationalism ...
2. ... to which you respond apparently apologetically at first so as to delude me into thinking you're not confrontational really ...
3. ... but then you stand your ground after all and take the opportunity to accuse me of being thick-skinned for not noticing a previous confrontational incident.

Very clever. Fiendish, even. I am convinced. Almost.

And now, rapidly acting before the Admins sweep in and behave in both a confrontational and curmudgeonly fashion by accusing me of sidetracking the topic (which I've just reminded myself of by a quick glance to the top of the screen), let me just say how much I've enjoyed the Release Date; that I look forward to many more of them; and that I firmly believe Release Dates Are Good For You.

There. You can't get more on-topic than that.

Well - I'd step into this discussion but I don't want to get trampled by either of you (or the Admins) - so I won't   :D

On topic - are any other countries on this planet having to settle for a release date in April apart from those of us in the antipodes?
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 23:08

Long live release dates!!!!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 01:35

Quote (Alan D @ Mar. 25 2008, 06:08)
Very clever. Fiendish, even. I am convinced. Almost.

Oh, go on Alan. Both "Clever" and "Fiendish"? You totally made my day.

Quote (trcanberra @ Mar. 25 2008, 20:47)
I'd step into this discussion but I don't want to get trampled by either of you

Really, TR, you make us sound like a herd of taurus domesticus! I can't speak for Alan, but I am much too light-of-foot to go around trampling people. Besides, both of us have been models of civility. I mean, what gal wouldn't blush at such flattery? Errr.... 'fiendish' is a compliment, right?

Quote (timshen @ Mar. 25 2008, 23:08)
Long live release dates!!!!

I agree that release dates are great and glorious things. Except for the Australian's. Theirs suck.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 04:48

Quote (Sweetpea @ Mar. 26 2008, 05:35)
I can't speak for Alan, but I am much too light-of-foot to go around trampling people.

'Tiptoeing delicately towards gentle and friendly ribbing' seems more your style, I think.

(Did I start all this nonsense, Sweetpea, or was it you?)

Now, what were we talking about? Ah - release dates. Yes. Release them, I say!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 05:12

You two (Sweetpea and Alan) remind me of some romcom where the two leads bicker, fight and tease for the first three quarters of the film before passionately embracing. I don't know about dates, but you clearly need to release something!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 06:23

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 26 2008, 09:12)
You two (Sweetpea and Alan) remind me of some romcom where the two leads bicker, fight and tease for the first three quarters of the film before passionately embracing.

I think there's some small print somewhere that expressly forbids the encouragement of passionate embracing on Tubular.net, so be careful, Matt.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 14:20

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 26 2008, 05:12)
You two (Sweetpea and Alan) remind me of some romcom where the two leads bicker, fight and tease for the first three quarters of the film before passionately embracing. I don't know about dates, but you clearly need to release something!

Pffft! Alan and I haven't fought. Alan and Sir Mustapha, on the other hand... which would make them 'mismatched buddies' like The Dude and Walter. Or Niles and Fraisier Crane.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2008, 01:40

been outta the oldfield loop for awhile, but just saw he's got this new release on amazon and it's already #1 in the UK. went ahead and listened to the samples, sounded all right - kinda like a TSODE, but more classically, if that makes any sense.

anyway, bought it off amazon, and should get it soon.

btw, glad to see the forums still up and golden :)

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 06:25

Quote (tubularbills @ Mar. 30 2008, 01:40)
been outta the oldfield loop for awhile, but just saw he's got this new release on amazon and it's already #1 in the UK. went ahead and listened to the samples, sounded all right - kinda like a TSODE, but more classically, if that makes any sense.

anyway, bought it off amazon, and should get it soon.

btw, glad to see the forums still up and golden :)

Hey there - nice to have you back.  Only been here a few months myself, but seems like a great community - and the more the merrier  :)
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 05:13

Hooray for Amazon marketplace.  Arrived today, listening to it for the 2nd time as I type this - very nice.

One week before it comes out in Australia and ten dollars cheaper  :D
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 23 2008, 02:17

Quote (trcanberra @ April 03 2008, 05:13)
Hooray for Amazon marketplace.  Arrived today, listening to it for the 2nd time as I type this - very nice.

It is one of those albums that one eagerly 'repeats' upon completion. Or, at least, I did. I suppose those Amazon customers who rated it one-star would disagree.  :laugh:

You know, it's almost a crime against humanity that - for many people - simply acquiring a copy of Mike's newest music should involve so much frustration. Why can't CDs be more like Cheetos? Wouldn't it be great to lift a sofa cushion and go "Oh boy!! A new Mike Oldfield album!!"?

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 23 2008, 08:39

Sweatpea you have lost the plot.Quote yourself in the Qutotable thread with that immediatley.That's priceless.The only thing i find when i lift the cushions on my sofa is pens that my daughers have stuffed down there!
 I didn't have any problems getting my copy.Did i read that you have a local Borders?The one in Oxford is really good for Oldfield.I guess it's different in the US.
 I hope your cushions are nice and soft cos a cd could get crushed and i don't think there's anyway to return damaged cd's to the little faries who put them under cushions. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 04 2008, 20:21

Oh, Caveman, you're missing out on the delights of unearthed dimes, linty chocolate kisses, and things that may have once been french fries.

I guess it's different in the US.

Hence my current signature.  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 06 2008, 08:07

LOL.If we substitute dimes for £20 notes we would be there.
I guess Mike's always remained a cult thing in the USA.Borders need to reallly sort it out stateside then if they can supply us when within 2 minutes walk of the Oxford branch there's 2 record stores who can supply it(HMV and ironically a Virgin Megastore).Let us start a campighn to get them to stock all Mike's albums in every branch of Borders across the globe.And then Mike will rise to infinate power.MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA (etc). :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Fred Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 00:31

Quote (The Caveman @ May 06 2008, 08:07)
I guess Mike's always remained a cult thing in the USA.

Caveman, you have no idea.  :laugh:

Doing my part here in the States, however.  I sent Mom a copy of MotS for Mother's Day.  She really likes it!  One more convert!

--------------
[A]t some point it always occurs to [artists]... that they can do this one thing for the rest of their lives, they can be successful to the outside world but not... to themselves.  That's the moment an artist decides who he or she is. If they keep on risking failure, they're still artists. ~ S.Jobs
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 03:27

Excellent work Fred!Lets show the USA that there's so much more than The Excorsist!
 To be fair it is getting increasingly difficult here as well though.Most of the larger stores tend to stock the obvious choices like Ommadawn,TB and for the time being MOTS.Strangely small independant stores tend to stock more.
Perhaps we should open some stores and stock the lot! :)

--------------
Profile PM 
55 replies since Jan. 13 2008, 18:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net