Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Related musicians or vocalists< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Vinz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 10 2000, 08:45

I listen to some related musicians or vocalists.
Some of them were real surprises such as Maggie Reilly, Pierre Moerlen's Gong and Terry Oldfied.
Others really suck : David Bedford (too experimental), Sally Oldfield (what a voice ! But almost all her songs sound bad)

Are there some others good related artists ?
Thank you for your answers...

[This message has been edited by Vinz (edited 02-10-2000).]

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
murds Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2000, 01:06

well if you want something else to listen to well look for a artist called----ENIGMA--- they r ok just similar to songs of distant earth if you liked that you like them

murds

Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2000, 07:46

I know ENIGMA (Sadness, etc...) and their work is far to be bad. But I'm looking for artists who worked with Mike and it's not the case for ENIGMA (even if they almost did it) !
Thank you anyway for your answer !

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 11 2000, 08:42

Michael Cretu, the guy behind Enigma, co-produced The Time Has Come on Islands.

Enigma 4 contains the same samples as the ones used for the voices in Sunlight Shining Through Cloud.
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2000, 06:49

Thank you, Olivier. I haven't noticed that.
I will listen that Enigma 4 you're talking about.
Anything else ?

[This message has been edited by Vinz (edited 02-14-2000).]

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 16 2000, 18:50

Why don't you try something by Philip Glass? He's got the same mixture of Classical and Pop that MO has...and MO quoted him on Platinum!

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: April 19 2000, 07:11

I've alredy search on the net some mp3 from Philip Glass and I've only found an extract from a movie called 'Koyaanisqatsi'. It's not bad at all, but i need to know more about his musiv before buying some CDs.
But thanks anyway !

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 21 2000, 20:26

You could always check out Steve Hillage (I seem to always be mentioning this guy)...
You can see him on the Tubular Bells clip from the 'Elements' video, and he's also done a few other performances of Mike's music. You might already know him as the guitarist from Gong (presumedly Mike met Hillage and Pierre Moerlen at around the same time).
His stuff's fairly crazy - you might want to hear before buying. His album "L" would be a good place to start, though.
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: April 26 2000, 10:50

If you are looking for some web sites about related artists, check this url : http://users.mundivia.es/ayllonp/amadian/lyrics.htm
There are many links for almost all the singers who worked with Mike from Adrian Belew to Rosa Cedròn...
It's very interesting... smile

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
SandAbyss Offline

Posted: May 25 2000, 00:36

I know there those, who really appreciate Mike's music, especially his hard rock sounding guitars. The band Dream Theater has a really good guitarist: John Petrucci, has similar caliber to Mike. If you like that sort of music, progressive rock, check out Dream Theater. I'd recommend their album called Awake. But thats my opinion and in no way do you have to appreciate it at all, although it would be nice....

SandAbyss
Profile PM 
Roman Davydoff Offline

Posted: June 09 2000, 06:24

i have to add that Enigma's song with sample is called "Between Mind And Heart"

--------------
cheerio,
Roman
Profile PM WEB 
sphilou Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2000, 11:45

Hello

Jon Anderson too is a very good singer artist. "shine" on the Mike O. Islands vidéo Disc. You can find this title "shine" in mp3 format ... on Napster ? rolleyes ... maybe biggrin

This guy was the Initiator of YES the famous 70th Band.

Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 17:12

Vinz, try Glass' 'Hydrogen Jukebox', it's the best Glass album I know. Far better than Koyaanisqatsi. The Violin Concerto is interesting, too. Does anyone know if there's a disc containing the original 'North Star'?
Who sais David Bedford sucks???!!!
Try 'The Odyssey', I think it's every bit as good as Mike's work from the same time. Also, listen to the Recorder Concerto as performed by Piers Adams on a disc from NMC.
You'll change your mind!
Mike also collaborated with the following:
Robert Wyatt, 'Rock Bottom'
Tom Newman, 'Faerie Symphony' (maybe others, too)
Phil Beer, a great Folk track called 'Passed you by' from a compilation-CD 'Where would you rather be tonight'
Paddy Moloney from the Chieftains. Anyone who likes Irish music only a little bit, and I guess that means just about everybody on these pages, HAS to check out the Chieftains. I recommend Chieftains 4 for a start.
Pekka Pohjola, but he's already been mentioned
Pierre Moerlen's Gong (a very Oldfieldish track called 'Downwind') from the album of the same name.
And many others! biggrin
Profile PM WEB 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2000, 09:11

Thank u, Sphirou and Archangel Foster for your reply!!

All I know about Yes' work is 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' which is a great pop song...

I will try to find this record 'Hydrogen Jukebox' you mentionned because I already enjoy very much 'Koyaanisqatsi', I like this dark atmosphere.

I said that David Bedford's work is too experimental for me... I have both 'The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner' and 'The Odyssey', and I do not like them at all. There's no rhythm, there's a narrator, it's far from the music I listen to....

I have also Robert Wyatt 'Rock Bottom' and Tom Newman 'Faerie Symphony' and I think they sound strange but good, it's a lot of fun to listen to...

About Phil Beer the only piece of music I know from him IS 'Passed You By', I really don't know his value as a Folk artist.

Of course, I know Paddy Moloney from the Chieftains. As a Celtic Music listener, I think it's one of the greatest celtic artist, with Clannad...

I think that Pierre Moerlen's Gong is the group which is closer to Mike's old style, with a lot of percussion. Try 'The Time Is The Key' or 'Second Wind' !!!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2000, 17:24

Where did you get 'Faerie Symphony'? I couldn't find it so far. I only know the track with Mike, from a bootleg CD.
Profile PM WEB 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2000, 03:18

It was an import from Germany (!) found in a french store. It's called : Tom Newman's Faeries Symphony and other Stories (featuring Mike Oldfield).
It includes 3 or 4 rare tracks with Mike Oldfield (Dance Of The Daonhe Sidhe, Sad Sing, Cycle for Moving Dunes...) and Sad Sing (German Version) (see Rarities & Concert for this one)...
I think you can have more informations on http://www.tempus-fugit.de

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2000, 06:11

Hi

Everyone seems to be going on about the "more famous" musicians on Mike's albums, eg Jon Andersen, Paddy Moloney.

What about one of the world's most famous saxophonists (?), Raphael Ravensroft. In another forum there is a section about Mike hating saxophones, they sound like "a fart", but Mr. Ravenscroft appears on the title track of Earth Moving. He is most famous for the saxophone on Gerry Rafferty's (Stealer's Wheel, Humblebums with Billy Connelly) huge hit single, Baker Street. He also appeared on Pink Floyd's The Final Cut and played horns on Roger Waters' The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking.

What do other forum users think about Mike's employment of Raphael Ravenscroft, especially as he hates saxophones, and the other music this talented saxophone and horn player has contributed to society?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2000, 06:42

I don't know Ravenscroft, but Heaven's Open features Courtney Pine who has since become a well-known saxophonist in modern jazz, too.
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2000, 06:49

Vinz, thanks for the Faerie Symphony info!
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2000, 18:59

I believe that, in the interview where Mike said he hated saxophones, he actually said he hated the sound of them in general, but that he liked courtney pine and the guy that played...(and he hummed a little tune). that tune is believed to have been Baker Street...

Just a little bit of trivia there.
Profile PM 
24 replies since Feb. 10 2000, 08:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net