Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Reflection film at BFI Southbank London, You can view it in their "Mediatheque"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
shenry Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 08 2024, 11:50

Just a little tip for anyone who doesn't know. Reflection is that weird little film from 1978 that Mike supplied the music for.

Anyway, it was funded by the British Film Council, which (I think) no longer exists. But from doing a bit of digging online I found that the BFI (British Film Institute) owns a lot of the old British Film Council films and has digitised copies of a lot of them.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, in their big London building, the BFI Southbank, they have a little place called the Mediatheque. It's like a little library with booths and screens where you can view a lot of their stuff. And Reflection is there!

If you live in London or are visiting, I highly recommend it. It's great to see a decent version of this digitised straight from the source. I was in London at the weekend so took a little trip. You just walk right in and find a booth and search for it on the menu, and headphones are provided.

(They have loads of other great films as well. I also watched Alan Garner's TV drama of his book Red Shift, which is quite expensive on DVD and which I've been looking for for ages. And there's also a few little archive interviews and films with Mike, but nothing that's not on youtube already, and no performance stuff).

Anyway, just a tip for anyone in or around London.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2024, 03:07

Thanks for this. The Reflection film is one visual piece associated with Mike that I have not seen.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2024, 08:56

It's ... odd! A very difficult premise to follow, as the guy who made the film, Keith Critchlow, has very unique beliefs about the science of patterns and numeracy and how these are reflected in natural forms and in human creations. In the film he basically takes you from cell reproduction to patterns caused by waveforms, into real Dan Brown territory as he unpicks the hidden meaning behind the proportions of Stonehenge and Chartres Cathedral.

But, the music is terrific and the film as a whole is quite hypnotic and soothing, especially the bit near the end with a big guitar solo by Mike over a drone of voices, as three children silently navigate the labyrinth at Chartres. If you approach the film as a piece of art rather than a scientific treatise, it's much more satisfying.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2024, 14:24

Quote (shenry @ Jan. 09 2024, 08:56)
If you approach the film as a piece of art rather than a scientific treatise, it's much more satisfying.

I suppose so! I didn't know it was a pseudoscience film.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
shenry Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2024, 08:09

I now feel a bit cruel suggesting it was pseudo-science. Everyone should really just watch it and make up their own mind.

i'd love to believe there's substance to it, that patterns found in nature repeat themselves in lifeforms and in human creations, but I'm naturally a skeptic so I have trouble when someone tells me they see a pattern somewhere.

But I love cathedrals and I love mazes and I love stone circles, so there's a lot in this film I love.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2024, 15:35

I recently spent quite a bit of time "remixing" the soundtrack from this film at the end of last year, separating out the narration with AI tools and recreating the music soundtrack from much better sounding sources. Some of the music was later released (The Path, First Excursion, Ommadawn Lost Version...) and so it was possible to replace the pretty bad sounding versions on the Reflection soundtrack with nicer sounding versions. And for some of the never-released music, there are some modern recreations that I used instead :)

Here's a few excerpts:
https://youtu.be/9aGTbiezYzM
https://youtu.be/ifwUZYwRJAA
https://youtu.be/re6yenUWrY0

Anyway, if anyone wants a copy of the remixed film, let me know, YouTube wont let me post it in entirety...
Profile PM 
jjmillenium Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2024, 12:48

Quote (pauken @ Jan. 11 2024, 15:35)
I recently spent quite a bit of time "remixing" the soundtrack from this film at the end of last year, separating out the narration with AI tools and recreating the music soundtrack from much better sounding sources. Some of the music was later released (The Path, First Excursion, Ommadawn Lost Version...) and so it was possible to replace the pretty bad sounding versions on the Reflection soundtrack with nicer sounding versions. And for some of the never-released music, there are some modern recreations that I used instead :)

Here's a few excerpts:
https://youtu.be/9aGTbiezYzM
https://youtu.be/ifwUZYwRJAA
https://youtu.be/re6yenUWrY0

Anyway, if anyone wants a copy of the remixed film, let me know, YouTube wont let me post it in entirety...

please, I would love to see that remixed version.

My email acount is: jjtc_1989@hotmail.com
Profile PM 
6 replies since Jan. 08 2024, 11:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net