Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Rediscovering his amazing range< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 29 2006, 16:47

Last weekend a small group of MVR devotees met in Tr3sLunas online after a long gap. There was a kind of magic around, that evening - rediscovering the thrill of 'being there' with old pals.

To tell the truth I haven't been listening to Mike much during recent months (nothing wrong - just taking a break), but the next day I was still haunted by the sights and sounds of the previous evening, so I blew the dust off the Tr3sLunas CD and popped it in the player. It  hardly ever fails, this album - whisks me back there, fills my mind with so many images. I could feel a resurge of pleasure in listening to Mike again. The gap was a good idea, I thought.

The next day I spent a delightful hour with Tr3sLunas II (bless you, Brandon Blume), and the day after that, Return to The Origin. So I was pretty well soaked in Tr3sLunas after all that.

This morning, I decided on a complete change and played Amarok - the album that's been the source of a love/hate relationship for me ever since its release. I expected to find myself wincing in all the usual places, and end up dissatisfied. Now here's the rub. I didn't. I turned it up reasonably loud, and I think, for the first time ever, actually found it exciting in a lot of the places that previously had irritated me. I even found myself smiling a bit during the Margaret Thatcher interlude. (Now there's a first.)

I was a bit bemused to be honest. This wasn't what I'd expected. Coming straight from Tr3sLunas to Amarok, ... I mean, that doesn't seem like a very promising transition, does it?

Finally, this evening, I had the house to myself - so I put on Berlin 2000 and let the speakers off the reins. My goodness. That fantastic rhythm, that dazzling display of drums, surging, backing off, promising resolution, then delaying it, and at last releasing that tremendous, unbelievably powerful guitar solo..... I was making a meal at the time, but I just stopped and listened, doing nothing else, just feeling the power of the music. If ever there was a piece of music worthy of marking the millenium, this was it. I'm not entirely sure about the transition to the Beethoven in the last few minutes, but really, I have no conception of how anything could follow what had gone before - and the Beethoven does at least leave you on a high, upbeat note.

What struck me afterwards, when I'd recovered my equilibrium, was this: Tr3sLunas - Amarok - Berlin 2000. What a fantastic breadth of achievement they represent. What an immense variety of enrichment they offer. I'm still pretty awestruck.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2006, 19:29

Yes, Mike does have an astounding sweep of musical styles - he tackles them all with a stunning ingenuity. He's never dull or predictable. There is, quite simply, no one like him.

I'm so pleased, Alan, that you have an open door to Amarok now. Keep it open! It is a challenging listen, but always worthwhile. I love the sudden changes of direction, the surprises, the feeling that you'll never quite catch up with what is going on, but it's fun anyway! And then you compare it to soothing, understanding Voyager and they are poles apart. Amarok  does effect people differently. I was hooked from my very first listen but can completely understand when the words "are you serious?" are uttered to me when I have encouraged a friend to try it for the first time!! Their loss!!

And I like that he's given the kind of music that demands obsessive listening and then needs to be 'rested' for a while. You know when the need to hear it once more comes back,  it's like a phoenix rising form the ashes. What's interesting is which album/song starts you off again & what does that lead on to, which album, which thread do you follow? And what do you hear that you've never heard before despite repeated listens?

Maybe the new album ( & what's in store there?) could be titled 'Rediscovery'!

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2007, 04:20

Quote (Alan D @ Nov. 29 2006, 16:47)
for the first time ever, actually found it exciting in a lot of the places that previously had irritated me.

It's so satisfying when this happens, isn't it? More than once, I've heard of people suddenly embracing (or just finding something new in) a MO work. Could be a case of being in the right or accepting frame of mind for a particular piece of music, but I think it may have as much to do with the familiarity we gain with multiple exposures so that an appreciation builds, layer on layer, until we feel a significant understanding of it.

Quote (Alan D @ Nov. 29 2006, 16:47)
Tr3sLunas - Amarok - Berlin 2000. What a fantastic breadth of achievement they represent. What an immense variety of enrichment they offer.

Which is why it's so hard to just stick with certain MO favorites - there really is something to appreciate in all his works, I think.

Quote (bee @ Nov. 29 2006, 19:29)
I like that he's given the kind of music that demands obsessive listening and then needs to be 'rested' for a while. You know when the need to hear it once more comes back,  it's like a phoenix rising form the ashes. What's interesting is which album/song starts you off again & what does that lead on to, which album, which thread do you follow? And what do you hear that you've never heard before despite repeated listens?

I like how you've put this, bee. Although I've allowed for very little 'resting' since my personal MO rediscovery, I'm in agreement with pretty much everything you've said. In fact, the mention of following threads gave me a mental image of the Tr3s Lunas game, where instead of taking you to the owl, the ants, or the swords, the Ringheads lead to albums which may compliment or contrast each other but are all part of the same brilliant universe.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
2 replies since Nov. 29 2006, 16:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net