Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Recuerdos de la Alhambra (a.k.a Étude)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Anonymizeruk Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 22 2009, 14:33

Hi Folks.

I put this on my website quite a while back, but I thought it would be good to let fellow Oldfield fans have a listen.

My cover is actually based on the Tarrega original, but many of you will know it simply as Étude (from The Killing Fields).

You can either listen to the embedded player on the website, http://bve4.net/badgerssett/ or the direct link is http://bve4.net/badgerssett/Recuerdos_de_la_Alhambra.wma

Cheers

Gary
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 23 2009, 10:41

And all of that was using a Yamaha PSR-2100 keyboard?(as per your site).....What did you record it with? A HD recorder, or PC software like Cakewalk Music Creator/Sony Acid? Quite pleasant.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 23 2009, 11:06

Could not help but go back to your site and listen to the MO covers. Tricks of The Light, Top O' the Morning......not bad. You didn't use downloadable MIDI files did ya? Heheeee just kidding. Its tempting tho. Those MIDI files are pretty cool. Somebody here wanted to learn TOTM, I told them to D/load Van Basco's midi/kareoke player. It takes a midi file and you can mute tracks and see every note played on the PC keyboard. Fun stuff. Back around 1993 I had a boss, an RN nurse. She liked piano concertos, so I D/loaded a bunch of classical midi files. I had Cakewalk seperate the bass and treble parts into 2 tracks. Panned the bass part somewhat left and the treble part somewhat right while adding some small hall bright reverb on a Kawai K4. She loved her midi'ed tape. It was a fun way to kill 3 hours. Good luck in your Yamaha endeavors.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: July 23 2009, 12:13

I sometimes use Samplitude Music Studio (Magix) as a multi track recorder, but in the case of Étude, I just used the PSR-2100 song creator to record it. Even when I do use Samplitude, I never use any of the effects or tools, as (if you excuse the apparent big head) I'm quite adept with the 2100.

For those interested, I used the Guitar Serenade style in fingered-on-bass chord setting, panel Soprano Sax for the lead, and panel Orchestral Strings for the layering.

As for using MIDI files - the only time I've done this is to figure out the guitar solo section for Tricks of The Light. The rest are just played by ear.

Cheers

Gary
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 23 2009, 12:59

My point exactly. The great thing about MIDI files....I don't read music as in dots with little heads and crap(Tab yes and I can see what you need to see.)  Magix software, I know it. I have a copy of it but prefer Cakewalk. To be more accurate(and old) I have an Alesis MMT-8 sequencer I prefer to PC software. Believe it or not it's lithium battery still holds! Since 1989. Then I record the tracks into Acid or Cakewalk or similar PC multitrack software. I can't count how many mutitrack PC plus midi software packages I own, but I always go back to my trusty MMT-8 sequencer. What a jewel.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Yann Kovic Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 03:29

Very good job! despite your own words, you're a very good player...
Just a remarks, your tracks seem to be too "cool" played. A little bit more dynamic & it will be very very nice...

--------------
I like beer, I like cheese, I like the smell of a westerly breeze...

http://www.yannkovic.be/
Profile PM WEB 
5 replies since July 22 2009, 14:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net