Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Real bells or a synth?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
jeremyroberts Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 20:46

I had a discussion with a musician on another forum about the bells on the track "The Bell". He said to me that he'd been told by a friend of his that the sound was coming from the Korg M1.

I have a Korg 01/W which have some sounds similar to the M1, but it's in the repair shop at the moment so I couldn't check it.

Anyone knows about it?

It would seem strange to credit Mike Oldfield on Tubular Bells in the booklet if it was just a synth, but strange things happen all the time.
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 21:25

Sampled tubular bells. Possibly tubular bells with digital sensers in them that trigger sampled tubular bells when hit because that is what was used in the concert.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 05:12

In "The Bell" itself, it sounds like a real set of bells. But everywhere else, I think it's a synth. Sampled bells were used in TBIII, as far as I know.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 05:27

@Jeremyroberts: I think your friend is right. :) Korgscrew told me (us?) some time ago that the sound of the bells, throughout the whole album, is just the "Tubular Bells" preset on a Korg M1. If we are talking about the live concert, yes, there are real bells in there (on "The Bell" and other songs), but their sound is mixed with the synth's, and they often act as triggers , as Steven says. On TBIII, Mike himself said that the bells' sound is a composite of various bell samples, including real bells.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 06:14

I had heard that he looked everywhere for a set of bells when he was recording it, and found a small set, almost children's set. This was the set that gave him the sound he wanted.

I don't know how I heard this if it has been established that it was a synth.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 07:03

Mike said that the bells on 'The Bell' are the 'toy' set sampled into a Kurzweil K2000 (I think I remember that one right...). Take a listen though and it shares some characteristics with the M1 bells sound. I suspect it's a layer of both - he used the M1 a lot on that album. The bells on the single versio of 'The Bell' are rather different, more natural sounding, which may well be the sampled 'toy' bells on their own.

Elsewhere on the album, it sounds more like the M1 bells on their own.

The bells live are definitely a layer, he did have a set with MIDI triggers fitted.
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 18:22

Thanks! I didn't think I would find such accurate informations!  ;)

By the way, the Tubular Bell sound I have on my Korg 01/W is very good indeed. I was going to sell it but now I hesitate...
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2006, 17:34

THE TUBULAR BELLS SOUNDS ON TB2 WAS A SAMPLE
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 07:36

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Feb. 16 2006, 05:12)
In "The Bell" itself, it sounds like a real set of bells. But everywhere else, I think it's a synth. Sampled bells were used in TBIII, as far as I know.

I didn't know that!!!!  :O

He didn't really play the real Tubular Bells when he was recording the album????  :/

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 07:37

Quote (RICHARDGORMLIE @ Oct. 19 2006, 17:34)
THE TUBULAR BELLS SOUNDS ON TB2 WAS A SAMPLE

:(  :/  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 16:08

I knew this, but even so, they still add a wonderful atmosphere to the whole piece. They sound real enough, and that's what matters. "The Bell" is probably my favourite track on TBII, running very close with "Tattoo".

As for the sampled bells on TBIII, quite a lot of stuff on that Album was a sample (there are some excerpts from albums such as Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge, so I heard), and that is my second favourite MO Album of all time (number 1 being Hergest Ridge, and number 3 being his original 1973 masterpiece). Far Above The Clouds (in which the sampled bells are used), is also one of the most moving pieces he has ever made, and often makes me feel goosepimples due to the sheer atmosphere it brings with it.

It makes no difference whatsoever to the masterly qualities of the whole album. I'm not meaning to criticise what's been written here, as they are interesting facts. I didn't know about the Korg M1 for example. I just think that even though they were sampled bells, it doesn't change the absolute brilliance behind it. Personally, I do think it is better if MO does use "real fingers on real instruments", as his next work is cited as being.

Anyway, that's all I can think to say on this subject.
Take care, TTFN.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 16:13

Do you know what sample of Hergest Ridge is used on TB3???
I never heard of that  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2006, 14:01

I'm not certain, I think it was in the background of Outcast. I'm probably wrong, but I thought it was an excerpt of the "electronic thunderstorm section". It is very faint.

But, I'm 100% certain that a sample (or samples) of Ommadawn are in it somewhere. I think that one of the samples is of the african drums at the end of Part 1 during Serpent Dream. And I think there is more evidence of Ommadawn sampling in Outcast, again during Part 1 near the end.

You'll probably need to ask the administrators, because I'm not certain whether any of the samples I've iven were actually used, but I do know there was sampling from Ommadawn in it. As for Hergest Ridge, cannot say for certain. Hope I've helped.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 21 2006, 14:39

:cool:  :cool:  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
c_haese Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2006, 09:04

Quote (SoimSandheaver @ Oct. 21 2006, 14:01)
I'm not certain, I think it was in the background of Outcast. I'm probably wrong, but I thought it was an excerpt of the "electronic thunderstorm section". It is very faint.

The only link between Hergest Ridge and Outcast I can find is that the guitar in the finale of Outcast starting at 3:08 is rhythmically similar to the HR Thunderstorm bit, but it's playing a different sequence of notes, so I don't think this qualifies as sampled.

There is one sample in Outcast that I know of, and that's from Crises: The drums that play thorughout are a looped snippet from Shadow on the Wall. (The piece between approx. 2:04 and 2:09 in SotW is to my ears a likely candidate for the source of the sample.)

But, I'm 100% certain that a sample (or samples) of Ommadawn are in it somewhere. I think that one of the samples is of the african drums at the end of Part 1 during Serpent Dream. And I think there is more evidence of Ommadawn sampling in Outcast, again during Part 1 near the end.

Yes, there is one Ommadawn sample, but it's in Far Above The Clouds. Beginning at 4:04 you can very clearly hear the African Drums from the Ommadawn Part 1 Finale.

-Carsten
Profile PM 
Atrastorm Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2009, 10:01

i think i read somewhere that it was sampled and as for the concert... i have no idea!
Profile PM 
DelfĂ­n Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2009, 21:51

The African drums at the end of the album are taken from 'Ommadawn'. The drums in 'Man in the Rain' are sampled from the drums on 'Moonlight Shadow'. The drums in 'Outcast' are taken directly as well from the drums on 'Shadow on the Wall'.

The silence before 'Music of the Spheres' is the one that is gonna rule in my room, because I'm gonna sleep now 'till tomorrow.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
16 replies since Feb. 15 2006, 20:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net