Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Rarities from 77-78, Por favor< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 22 2008, 15:31

Quote (The Caveman @ April 22 2008, 15:32)
Just had a look at the advert.Who came up with that????"there's more to Mike Oldfield than....."What?!
 I cannot believe someone went home from there job that day thinking "Wow i really earnt my money on that Mike Oldfield advert".

Haha... indeed! Very strange. I'd have no idea what they're trying to tell me there.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 23 2008, 11:15

At the time they were fast becoming THE punk label and didn't really know what to do with Mike,but what this ad is aiming to tell the public is anybody's guess.Perhaps the ad man has spent all day doing the Pistols NMTB ads and ran the Incatations ad of in 5 minutes at the end of his day.Seeems like it would take about that long.Typical Virgin zero imagination!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 23 2008, 16:08

Wasn't that advert from the '79 tour programme? It's still hardly scintillating copy, but I think it makes a little more sense in that context!

The most rare thing from that era which I can think of is Incantations itself, in its original quadraphonic form - I assume that's probably why you were thinking of SACD in the first place, so maybe that doesn't count...

First Excursion would probably be worth including from the point of view of it being the first place where Mike used the up a fifth, down a tone pattern which became so integral to Incantations. Similar goes for Guilty - I'd include that for being a kind of disco Incantations.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 24 2008, 09:02

Hi Korg.Good point about the advert.Still only makes marginal sense.If it was an advert for the tour (and i know that the pictures were form the Incatations photo shoot)then it's still somewhat baffling.More to Mike Oldfield than.....and then decribes what's on the tour?Hmmm.
 Anyway i agree entirely that First Excurssions should have a place.As if an excuse is needed.Wonderfull peice and perfectly in keeping (incedentally the tone on this sounds very much like a humbucker-would that be humbuckery.Could this be an apearance by the LP Custom he had at the time.It's a bit early for the L6S's and sounds much fatter than the SG's).

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Taurus 4 Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 08:26

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 23 2008, 16:08)
The most rare thing from that era which I can think of is Incantations itself, in its original quadraphonic form - I assume that's probably why you were thinking of SACD in the first place, so maybe that doesn't count...

That's right - I read that it still exists. Such a rich, intricate recording would sound great in 5.1.

Speaking of the original artwork, here's the "mini lp" release from last year. Nice.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 08:34

"Remastred by Simon Heyworth at Cho 'Em Out, London"

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
25 replies since April 17 2008, 02:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net