Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Radio 2 campaign, Platinum collection being PROMOTED< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ian Too Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 12:10

Hello Johnny and thank you for interceding, though I had no plans to stoke this fire or getting into some sort of feud. Some here will know I made that mistake on Amarok; though that was in defense of  lady. :)

You said in your post to Aaron that he taught you 'to each his own', so why is he making an exception with me? Why this ridiculous parody when simultaeously saying I can't say anything unflatering about Mike, because I can't know. Well how much less information does he have about me than Mike?

It's all very well adopting a fine principle like that, but if you can't enact it when it doesn't suit you, then your fine principles are a pretence and not worthy of respect. To live up to something takes discipline, that's just the way it is I'm afraid. The plus point is that when thing go well you get to feel smug about it. :)

Aaron, if you leave Tubular Net the only person you will fool into thinking it's my fault will be yourself. No matter what anyone does that upsets or offends you, there is a moment of decision when you and you alone choose how you respond. We are on opposite end of a wire Aaron, I don't have that much influence over you and you are going to have to accept that you have no influence over me. You're going to have to accept freedom of speech, because there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Toby, I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion that personal and artistic well-being are linked. I don't think it an accident that TSODE and Tub3 are his best recent albums. TSODE was written on the back of Tub2's commercial success and Tub3 after Mike found a new audience in Ibiza.

If you look at Mike's career, you can see a pattern of compromise that has escalated to the point where there's hardly anything left of him - those trance tracks from L+S are impersonations of other people's work, not distinctive tracks in their own right.

And that bring me nicely back to the topic: L+S wasn't promoted because it wasn't worth it. There's hardly anything of Mike in there and even Ringscape - Mike's best tune in years - feels perfunctory in execution. It really doesn't feel like Mike cared about what he was doing and if he doesn't why should anybody else?

On a brighter note, signs have suddenly changed for the better. Mike's recent change of heart (if that is what it is) seems to promise the return of rounded emotional music that gives vent to the full range of expression. This is what Mike does best, not confectionary.

--------------
(-: Ian :-)

Currently reading:
What Remains to be Discovered by John Maddox
Also doing far too much decorating than is good for one :)
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 14:48

Quote (Ian Too @ Mar. 07 2006, 17:10)
Hello Johnny and thank you for interceding, though I had no plans to stoke this fire or getting into some sort of feud. Some here will know I made that mistake on Amarok; though that was in defense of  lady. :)

You said in your post to Aaron that he taught you 'to each his own', so why is he making an exception with me? Why this ridiculous parody when simultaeously saying I can't say anything unflatering about Mike, because I can't know. Well how much less information does he have about me than Mike?

It's all very well adopting a fine principle like that, but if you can't enact it when it doesn't suit you, then your fine principles are a pretence and not worthy of respect. To live up to something takes discipline, that's just the way it is I'm afraid. The plus point is that when thing go well you get to feel smug about it. :)

Aaron, if you leave Tubular Net the only person you will fool into thinking it's my fault will be yourself. No matter what anyone does that upsets or offends you, there is a moment of decision when you and you alone choose how you respond. We are on opposite end of a wire Aaron, I don't have that much influence over you and you are going to have to accept that you have no influence over me. You're going to have to accept freedom of speech, because there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Toby, I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion that personal and artistic well-being are linked. I don't think it an accident that TSODE and Tub3 are his best recent albums. TSODE was written on the back of Tub2's commercial success and Tub3 after Mike found a new audience in Ibiza.

If you look at Mike's career, you can see a pattern of compromise that has escalated to the point where there's hardly anything left of him - those trance tracks from L+S are impersonations of other people's work, not distinctive tracks in their own right.

And that bring me nicely back to the topic: L+S wasn't promoted because it wasn't worth it. There's hardly anything of Mike in there and even Ringscape - Mike's best tune in years - feels perfunctory in execution. It really doesn't feel like Mike cared about what he was doing and if he doesn't why should anybody else?

On a brighter note, signs have suddenly changed for the better. Mike's recent change of heart (if that is what it is) seems to promise the return of rounded emotional music that gives vent to the full range of expression. This is what Mike does best, not confectionary.

I'm not saying you can't say anything unflattering about Mike. Again you misinterpret what I say. It's the fact that you don't flag it up as opinion, and let it ride as a universally accepted statement, that actually makes you sound really up yourself.

So yes, I may be a sensitive person, but now you have presumed to know how I think about this. Again, I think you are wrong for doing so. I realise as I write this that there's no point in me saying it - because your not going to listen. RE: your freedom of speech: Again, it's not that you shouldn't have it, it's that you choose to do it in such a way with so little regard for other people.

I've thought on this, and I've come to the conclusion that your just selfish. That is why I agree with you in at least one respect; I do have a choice on how much influence you have over me. I'm the type of person that will naturally welcome people first, but then act "once bitten twice shy". For this reason, I have re-evaluated your position in my scheme of things, and I feel that no, someone so small minded and selfish as yourself should not be allowed to poison my experience of coming here.

So, thank you for teaching me this ability to block the unimportant from my experience. If free speech is the rule, as you say, then... you can't really say much to that, I suppose.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 19:00

Gosh, Ian - you really know how to stir up a hornet's nest, don't you? I'm impressed!

Just a couple of things - little things - nitpickery, if you like - you appear to have contradicted yourself a bit, don't you? One minute you claim that the purpose of communication is the transfer of information from one mind to another, but then backtrack on that concept by claiming that it is extremely difficult for one person to influence another... could you, then, explain to me what the whole point of communication is, if not to facilitate an evolution of thought and the development of social consciousness, and how this could possibly occur if it were so impossible to influence one another through our words, writing and actions?

Gawd - I'm a pedantic little get, aren't I?

Thing is, Ian - I suppose we're all entitled to our "opinions" - I have to admit that L+S is my least favourite Oldfield release to date - but I feel that maybe you'd cause less upset, were you to voice them in a less inflamatory fashion, maybe?  Perhaps it might be an idea to accept Mike's newer releases simply as an exploration in different styles, and characteristic of his desire to share that with us, knowing full well that he might disappoint some of us in the process, rather than - as you seem to be suggesting - symptomatic of a general decline in his ability and his personality!

~~~~~~~~~~
d-: (Tony) :-p

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 19:31

Dont talk to me like im a little child ian, i may be young but theres no need to be so patronizing. youre the one being smug :)

and dont try to teach me about discipline either. i dont respect you enough to take anything of what you say to heart.

:)  you see? my smilie faces arent fooling anyone either as you'd say.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ian Too Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2006, 02:02

Quote (jonnyw @ Mar. 07 2006, 19:31)

Dont talk to me like im a little child ian, i may be young but theres no need to be so patronizing. youre the one being smug :)

and dont try to teach me about discipline either. i dont respect you enough to take anything of what you say to heart.

:)  you see? my smilie faces arent fooling anyone either as you'd say.

Oh what a lot of replies! I'll just answer this one, because it's quick and get back to the others once I've had some sleep.

Johnny, I wasn't talking about you, but to you about Aaron's attitude. I also had no intention of patronising anybody, just saying what I actually mean as clearly as I can.

Okay?

Sleepytime for me now. Bye Bye. :)

--------------

Currently reading:
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 08 2006, 09:29

Can we get back to the topic at hand, please, and take the rest off-forum? That would be preferable to locking or binning.

Thank you.

M-C

p.s. Please don't respond to my post--just "do" it.  :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2006, 11:31

:)  :) Just heard the Tubular Bells intro on Steve Wright in the afternoon's show Radio 2. Such a fabulous surprise. I had tears in my eyes whilst I was making apple crumble for the kid's tea!!! ( I really did !!! It always makes me emotional when I hear it when I don't expect it )

I'm so glad that people everywhere may suddenly hear this music and want to know more of where that music came from. My only niggle is that as it's not a 'song' as such, Steve started yapping over it, but he did play a fair bit, bless him!!!

THIS PLATINUM ALBUM IS A GOOD THING YOU KNOW!!

We are entering an Oldfield Renaissance....hoooooray!! :)  :)

bee

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2006, 12:38

Definately something worth being happy about :) Let's hear 3 cheers for the Platinum Collection... hip hip... :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Ian Too Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2006, 08:15

Quote (arron11196 @ Mar. 07 2006, 14:48)
I'm not saying...
... you can't really say much to that, I suppose.

You lost control quite badly there, didn't you Aaron? (I snipped the post, because it doesn't bare repeating.)

Started off quite well, but then degenerated into a spite filled personal attack on another forum member.

There's no doubt that was a disgusting little hissy fit, by any standards and it's a good job I'm robust; but I'm not going to accept an apology on this one, Aaron. You've gone too far.

If you ever launch another disgraceful tirade against another member of Tubular Net, I will lodge a formal complaint with the moderators, asking that you be warned to change your behaviour or face expulsion. I'm not so selfish as to tolerate abuse of someone else that I will handle personally against myself.

For your information, the whole point of forums is to allow freedom of expression, not to give you right of approval.

I'm drawing a line under this now. I suggest you do the same.

--------------

Currently reading:
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 09 2006, 09:00

Quote (Ian Too @ Mar. 09 2006, 07:15)
Quote (arron11196 @ Mar. 07 2006, 14:48)
I'm not saying...
... you can't really say much to that, I suppose.

You lost control quite badly there, didn't you Aaron? (I snipped the post, because it doesn't bare repeating.)

You ignored my request to take this off forum.

Regarding allowing freedom of expression.....only to a point. No one has the freedom to carry on with inflammatory posts. There is an owner of this Board and there are administrators. There are also guidelines--which this topic has clearly exceeded. If you want to carry on like this, go establish your own website and forum and have at it. It is not going to be tolerated here, and I would be saying the same thing to my own mother.

I had such high hopes yesterday that this topic was going to continue in a better direction, and really appreciated Bee's gentle and positive post (thanks, Bee! ) and arron's follow-up. Then I wake up today to this. As far as I'm concerned, arron is not the one here working on an official warning.

For now, I am locking this topic. Please do not carry this argument into any other forums. Later on, the moderation team will be reviewing.

Ah....and a final word (for now ;)  ) ..... PM exchanges should also maintain a modicum of respectfulness.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
29 replies since Feb. 24 2006, 06:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net