[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: RADEON 7500 crashes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
kapsel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 29 2002, 09:58

Hi,

I'm playing (or I should say I try to play) MVR on Windows XP, with RADEON 7500 videocard, SB Live Value soundcard. With the newest RADEON drivers the graphics is good, but the game crashes after a while. With older drivers the game does not crash, but the graphics is awfull, the textures of objects are missing or bad.

Also I have problems with the sound, each sound seems to start 2-3 times (first starts and after a second or so it stops and starts again), but I noticed that it does not depend on the RADEON driver version I use.

Any suggestions?

Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: May 30 2002, 00:32

Your not alone. Same problem with my ATI 8500 Radeon. I can play for a while but sound get way out of sync. Then graphics start to suffer, and after an hour CRASH!!!! I called ATI and they basically told me that there is not thing they can (or will) do to help. (UNLESS MANY ATI USERS PHONE OR E-MAIL REGARDING MusicVR - then they said they'd give the game a try themselves). I think that the problem lies in the lack of OpenGL support on ATI Radeon cards. My suggestion is to decide how much you want to play this game? If your like me and have been eagerly waiting for MVR, then a new or used (hopefully less expensive) video card is probably in order.

I'm very disapointed that "Mike and the Team" seemed to ignore ATI (one of the more popular hardware manufacturers today)
Profile PM 
kapsel Offline

Posted: May 30 2002, 03:35

Man_in_the_Rain!

Thanks for prompt reply, there is one question left before buying NVidia card, are you also trying MVR on XP? If yes maybe we should (and I will) try it on Win98/ME.

Anyhow, after trying out all the XP drivers available, I found that the earliest one, the WXP-6-13-10-3276 is the best for MVR.
It does not solve the sound problem, but the textures and objects are fine and till now there was no crash with it(3-4 hours playing).

The bad thing is that with this driver some other/new games like Jedi Knight are not working frown((((

You can download this driver here:

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/winxpradeon6133276.html

We should push "Mike and the team" to make an ATI MVR patch available sooner or later, but better be sooner.
Profile PM 
kapsel Offline

Posted: May 30 2002, 13:57

Man_in_the_Rain !

Try to run DirectX diagnose (Dxdiag) and in the "More Help" menu choose Override. Setting it from "default" to "override value: 60" resulted that even with the newest ATI drivers the game does not crash!!!

Unfortunately it did not help the sound, but at least I can see all the objects properly.
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: May 30 2002, 19:27

Kapsel!

Good to hear from you. Usually one waits months for a reply.

First of all, I'm running XP.

Oddly, the newest drivers work best on the game for me. The DXDIAG thing didn't do anything for me.

By the way, do you get a smeared ground when you look down (you'll know what I mean if you have it)?

I broke down and bought A Visiontek Geforce4 MX420 ($169 CAN). I'll install it tonight and tell you if it worked. If it does maybe a Geforce2 ($119 CAN) will work and I'll save some cash.

I haven't given up on getting the Radeon 8500 working, though.

Matthew
Profile PM 
kapsel Offline

Posted: May 31 2002, 03:22

Matthew!

Yes I do have a "smeared ground" when looking down and in space the stars are lines instead of bright little points smile

As regarding the dxdiag I have to tell that after a few hours playing yesterday evening it crashed again. But it did help, as it crashed only after about 2 hours playing(formerly it was 2-3 minutes).

I wrote an email to ATI's tech support and they've sent me a list of things to check on my computer, except for dxdiag there was nothing interesting (irq, latest drivers, directx8.1 etc.).

Also they wrote that all the games that run on NVIDIA should run properly on RADEON cards as well.

If you are interested I'll send you this email, just let me know your email address.
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: May 31 2002, 22:48

Kapsel!

I'm pretty sure I got a very similar e-mail from ATI.

As expected, the GeForce4 card plays the game perfectly. No problems at all!!!! (Slower then my ATI Radeon 8500, though)

It seems that MVR was made on and/or for a nVidia chipset without much exception. I tried a nVidia clone, it got close visualy, but still had sound problem.

I really do wish a fix was in the making, but a doubt it. I think there's a better chance Mike will do a North American Tour. (Mike, please just one show in the US or Canada and I'll be there!!!!!)

But I digress...

From what I heard, OpenGL is being phased out for Direct3D, which means some cards are coming with limited OpenGL support (I fiqure just enough to play HalfLife properly). Also I've heard that ATI is a company that makes the video boards in a rush and decide to fix things later in software drivers. nVidia worries more about the initial card and are slower for drivers. (At least, this is what I was told.)

By the way, how did you come to buy the ATI? Here in Winnipeg there is very little competition on the shelves. There are around 7-10 ATI cards and 2-3 nVidia cards at the stores. Almost a monopoly.

Matthew
Profile PM 
kapsel Offline

Posted: June 02 2002, 14:48

Man_in_the_Rain !

>By the way, how did you come to buy the ATI? Here in Winnipeg there is very little competition on the shelves. There are around 7-10 ATI cards and 2-3 nVidia cards at the stores. Almost a monopoly.

I wanted a card which has quality TV Out while still being great for games, also multiple monitors was good option. I was advised that ATI's TV Out is far better than NVIDIA-s (I use TV OUT for Divx moovies a lot), and till MVR I really had no problem with games (OK once with Grand Prix3, but that could be solved with driver update).

Otherwise the NVIDIA cards are much more popular here in Hungary than ATI, and if not the TV out I would not change from NVIDIA to ATI.

I'll send an E-mail to ATI again, just hoping they consider it/me more serious next time.

As an Oldfield's music addict what will you do now, keep the Radeon and hope for "MVR patch/compatible ATI driver" or switch to Nvidia?

I still do not know.
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: June 03 2002, 22:37

Kapsel!

I am trying to run with the two video cards to no avail yet. I'm trying. If it doesn't work, I will return the nVidia and stick with the ATI (hoping that a fix will ventually be made).

I will raise hell @ ATI if I have to stick with it. The Radeon fleet is a great card, though. It's very good for everyday use, video editing and TV support. Not any card and boast that.

MVR, unfortunately, is just too picky.

ONLY TIME WILL TELL, ONLY TIME

Matthew
Profile PM 
kapsel Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 14:35

Man_in_the_Rain !

I wrote again an e-mail to ATI, describing again what the problem wass, and also wrote that the things they suggested did not help. After 2 days I got the same answer as first time, with the suggestions that I wrote them were not working. It must be an autoreply, whatever you write you get this answer, and this is a shame on ATI. Especially because in their first reply they advised to include word "other" in subject line to avoid gettin the same answer, and I did so.

Anyhow, how you can run your PC with two videocards? Is it possible, or each time you want MVR you install NVIDIA (and after playing MVR ATI again)?

I just hope that "Mike and his team" reads this forum, and will come up with some solution.
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: June 10 2002, 19:14

Kapsel!

Supposedly, it should "technically" work by disableing one card and enabling the other. It didn't for me, though. Therefore, MVR is no longer running on my computer :-(

Wahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Well life lives on. Listening to my Tres Lunas CD and imagining I'm playing the game. I win everytime this way!! (I'm kidding. I haven't gone totally insane yet.)

Actually, I'm looking for alternatives or a new ATI update, or OpenGL update, or something. Isn't ATI tech support useless?

I don't think "Mike and the Team" will have a fix. I fiqure that they programmed directly for nVidia cards. It would take more then a small update to create better compatability.

Anyway, I'll keep on trying and psting results here.

Matthew
Profile PM 
kapsel Offline

Posted: June 13 2002, 09:47

Man_In_The_Rain!

A NEW HOPE!!!

ATI has just released new driver set, will check it and let you know if it helped.

http://www.ati.com/shopati/promotions/catalyst/index.html
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: June 15 2002, 02:38

Kapsel!

ATI STRIKES BACK

Bloody Hell. New drivers didn't work!!!!
New update of MVR didn't work (better, but not great)!!!

Fancy driver set, though.

Matthew
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: June 15 2002, 02:41

Kapsel!

ATI STRIKES BACK

Bloody Hell!!! The new drivers didn't work!!! The new MVR update didn't work (better then before, but not great)!!!

Fancy driver set, though.

Matthew
Profile PM 
kapsel Offline

Posted: June 17 2002, 15:25

Man_In_The_Rain!

It's strange as the new drivers helped me. Now the game does not crash at all (at least I was able to play continiously more than 40 minutes, till now it always crashed within max. 10 minutes), and all the other games work fine as well.

After installing the new ATI driver I downloaded the MVR update hoping for some improvement with the still-bad sound, but I have not noticed any change.

Perhaps there will be soon an MVR update for sound problems with XP.

Kapsel
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain
Unregistered

Posted: July 18 2002, 20:09

Kapsel!

MVR 1.1 works!!!! Well, kinda...

No sound problems, but still the bad texturing and "smeared ground".

At least we know somethings being done.

Matthew
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: July 18 2002, 20:11

Kapsel!

MVR 1.1 works!!!! Well, kinda...

No sound problems, but still the bad texturing and "smeared ground".

At least we know somethings being done.

Matthew
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2002, 21:28

New ATI update works!!!!!

Only problem now is the smearing when looking down.  :( Textures are perfect!

Matthew
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2002, 02:44

The smeared ground problem doesn't seem to be ATI specific - I've got something like that on me olde NVidia TNT2 as well (even with latest NVidia drivers). It's like when looking down, textures on the ground behind the point just below you appear not to be properly refreshed/erased when changing, so they create traces on the screen..
IIRC, I didn't have that problem with the earlier demos.
Profile PM WEB 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2002, 20:02

I didn't have that problem with the demos as well. Actually, the demos (except for the final one) all worked.

It seems like this problem is MVR's problem and not ATI's compatibility with nVidia or OpenGL, though. Hopefully, there will be a fix. This is soooooooo close to working right (yet so far).
                                        Matthew
Profile PM 
25 replies since May 29 2002, 09:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net