Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Quo Vadis?, latest track< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
oblique Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 02 2012, 09:35

And yet another one for those who like them.....

Quo Vadis?

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 04 2012, 23:13

Since it doesn't seem to draw any atention at all, i  thought i'd  give you some information on what i've used to create this latest track.

It starts with a digital sound effect.
Then the rhythm comes in: 3 cuban conga players
Next: a stroke on an electric guitar, with on top of it a Portuguese acoustic guitar, an acoustic instrument from Kyrgizstan, and note blown on a saxophone.
After that the melody is repeated in a different tone because of a heavy string synthesizer.
Next comes a part that plays a  contra-rhytm melody on a synth as well.
To be followed by a piece of gamelan orchestra from Java, Indonesia.
Next: the first melody is repeated in a different chord.
Then the melody stops and you can hear a second rhythm starting in the background growing louder, on top of a that a stroke of chimes.
The finale starts with a repeated and distorted melody of south american charangos.
And the end: over the charangos an electric guitar feedback cries out loud.

All sounds digitaly altered and sticked together by me.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: April 05 2012, 01:19

;) ...no no don t say that that s just because i didn t got the time yey. yesterday night i ve listened to three tracks on soundcloud and commented them but not yours yet but don t worry it s planed .;)
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 05 2012, 02:14

No need for you to apologise, Philippe.
We are not the only two remaining members of this forum, ar we?

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 05 2012, 02:52

I listened and commented on SC.

Hey I've always been about supporting the other guys here.
I spent literally hundreds of hours and so did Phil promoting their work through last years album project.
Does that mean they will now listen to my music and support me...No fucking way.

I've now commented on 2 of your tracks ..so put ya money where your mouth is and listen to mine...or rather come to the conclusion I have.....People are self centered jerks...who cares life goes on :)

Keep up the good work.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 05 2012, 04:35

I can only agree with you Cameron.
You are right in every way.
Your comment i've missed because i haven't been on SC since tuesday evening.
Been away yesterday so no laptop,  and i cannot open it with my Blackberry (never buy another one).
Selfcentred as i am  ;). I'm very curiuos to read what you think of it.

--------------
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 05 2012, 06:09

Oh and one more thing about supporting...

I've been here since early 2000 or so (under the name of Jael first), and during these years i've praised some of the musicians here untill happiness made them dizzy. In these first years there was a guy here, Edoardo Fainello  known as Edo, later on as Darkened. I still consider him to be one of the most talented guys we ever had on board. Some of the musicians here still have a hangover i guess, because he invited most of them to join him in a common project. As it turned out later he rejected most of the contributions and finished the album by himself, for he was the sole composer.

Anyway during the years that led to this, he was looking for support as most of us do. He used to play as keyboardplayer in a band before but wasn't to sure about his compository skills and he had only recently learned to play guitar. I was one of those guys to tell him what i thought of his compositions. To his surprise, he told me, i was one of the few to tell him what i liked, but also what i disliked. Later on he said that my honesty had brought him to a higher level.

All i want to say by telling you this story is that it's good to read that people like what you've made, but they better be honest. When i comment on SC by saying i like a certain track i DO like that track. If not i won't write it there. This forum is a better place for constructive critisism i think. I'm 49 years old right now, so i guess i've got half a life left to learn. If anyone takes the time to comment on one of my tracks please be direct, we all will benefit. There are ways to be polite AND straightforward.

Ps. Edoardo has stopped publishing music. He has thrown himself on writing and acting.and currently runs his own theatergroup. Bravo to that.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: April 05 2012, 12:40

@oblique - I've commented on SC, sorry it can't be an effusive glowing comment - I think I might have broken a SoundCloud rule by not praising it regardless of my opinion...

@milamber - You volunteered to spend that time on the Tubular.NET album and other people volunteered their time and creative juices (oo-er missus!;), don't be bitter about it now. If I'd known it was a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" exercise then I wouldn't have participated! I gave two tracks to the album (one of which was written especially for the album and broke my rule of 'no cover versions';) with no expectation of anything in return and so I never expected that I'd have to give anything else either, to any of the participants in the project. I can't speak for the other participants but for myself I'm very appreciative of the time and effort you (and others) put into the album and the site - I'm sure the others musicians feel the same way.

However, having said (ranted?) all that, I already know that many musicians on here and on many other forums are self-centred jerks but hey that's the way of the internet these days. Everyone is out to either get something for nothing or to get away with rude and impolite behaviour - because there are no repercussions.

Sorry for ranting on your thread, oblique... and apologies for taking 3 days to listen to your track (and I'm not being sarcastic, 3 days is a long time in the internet world).

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 05 2012, 13:25

This is not my thread even though i opened it to draw attention.
I still believe this is an open community where we can share our love for the music of a 'certain artist', and discuss some other things that keep us busy.
And i respect your honesty. As they say: if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

--------------
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: April 05 2012, 16:04

:) agree with Ginger daddy it was not a spending time ! and again i want to thank Cameron for his trust in me !  ;)

@Oblique i said i will listen to it and comment it so i will do !!  ;)
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 05 2012, 17:25

Terry and all, No i'm not bitter and it's not a scratch my back scinerio at all....I mistakenly thought it maybe a handshake gesture one though.
Even though I invested time and Money on all your behalf...Silly fucking me hey.
I was explaining to Oblique my reasons for the lack of interest in his track.

These days the Fan Music section seems quite dead as far as responses go and that makes me sad not bitter.

Go back a year and you will see how lively it was....even Phil said recently Terry you were pissed at the lack of attention your stuff had recieved ,but what you seem to be saying that if i'd come to you and said i'll put your tracks up on the album and put your song first that later on if I make music would you be kind enough to follow and comment you would of told me no thanks...yeah right..whatever....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry for expecting anything from anyone here...looks like support is a one way street ...Thus my conclusion stands and is justified in your response.

And yes Oblique constructive criticism is good.
When I listen to a track I just dont listen to the song and comment I always keep in mind the hard work that goes in and what it takes to put yourself out there....its no different to playing live..something I did for years.

Once again its the lack of a vibrant community that annoys me nothing more and also i've never found any heat too hot to handle...the people here who know me know that.

Early on here I noticed that some guys only ever posted about their own wares and that it was getting them knowhere hit wise.

Well anyway once again I got everybody talking   :)

In closing I can say Im very proud of what WE accomplished on the album...but would I do it again....No.  

P.s Like my stuff or don't, personally I write for myself anyway and have no preconceptions that it will take me anywhere ..
So put your claws back in and chill lads but don't worry I can take it.
Peace out Y'all .

Good luck to all in this next showcase and also to the ones that don't contribute but certainly have a lot to say...
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 06 2012, 02:41

As it turns out we all have our reasons to be dissappointed one way or another. I can only speak from my own experience, so here we have another 'Grandad tells about the good old days' story.

I have spent 5 (FIVE) years of my life trying to create a computergame in Tres Lunas-style. We started of a bunch of people here but soon enough one after the other started losing interest, because i could not deliver fast enough. As it turned out in the end i lacked the technical skills to pull it off on my own. Needless to say i was very dissappointed in myself, untill i heard later on that it had taken a group of engineers a few years to produce Packman. I stopped altogether and the game was never finished. In fact i stopped making 3D images since. One good thing came out of this: my images inspired Philippe into using the same program as i did.

Music making is primarily for my own fun. And i knew what i was to expect  stepping into this snakepit.

--------------
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: April 06 2012, 03:57

:( oh oh oh what's the matter here ! Hey guys we need you all ! .... like you i make music for me first and then ..? who knows ?  no comments ? what can i ..what can we do ? we don't care ...first interest is sharing sharing sharing again ...then if it's commented it's a bonus .

Cameron i like your music and Mark i like yours too ! but Mark you know what is my job so you can understand sometimes we are too much tired because of the road ...

Right now i'm going to luisten your last track because now i have the time before going to work ! ;)
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 06 2012, 04:21

What luxury hours do you work???
I started at 6 this morning and now unloading at custumer no.2.
Oh, and as i said before, stop making excuses  :p

--------------
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: April 06 2012, 04:29

:D Monday 2 h 30 am to 13 h 00 pm when customers have been good with me lol ... in Belgium !
    Tuesday  5 h  to  when it's finished lol
     Wednesday  5 h   to when it's finished .
      Thursday       lol same again
        Friday     11 h am to  midnight when the day has been good again ! lol

but it may change everytime if my boss want to change that .....
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 06 2012, 05:16

I'll take it back.
Nothing luxury about that!

--------------
Profile PM 
15 replies since April 02 2012, 09:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net