Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Quick one about the cassette version< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CJJC Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 21:40

I doubt this will be a long discussion, unless it triggers fond reverie about the Amarok cassette.

I first encountered this album (after reading almost constant praise of it in Dark Star) in about 1993/4 and have only ever known it on CD so there's something I've always wondered about the cassette, which you've probably already guessed:

Is it a 60 minute cassette with the whole album on each side unbroken OR is it in two parts on side one and two and if so, roughly where does it split?

If it IS in two parts - how does this stack up as a listening experience against the full CD version? Is it nice to have a little break in the middle?

That was just a few more questions than I intended!

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 22:56

I originally had it on cassy there is a small break just after the 30 min mark (cant remember exactly where) but it seemed a natural break maybe even intentional but the day I got it on CD the cassette never got another look in still have it somewhere.

And from memory the break is unchanged on the cd. maybe Ugo the Devoted Amorokian that he is will have further insight  :)
Profile PM 
Herod Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2010, 04:14

There shouldn't be any difference with the vinyl version (which I have), and there the break is around the 30-32 minute mark, where the 'far-so-far' part is faded out, and then faded in at the beginning of side two.

--------------
The last 80 seconds of 'Amarok' are one of the reasons for being happy to live in this planet.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2010, 19:43

I agree 100% with Ermanno/Herod above here. The split on the cassette is at 30:00 and the fade-out occurs during the footsteps. They move away (fading out) at the end of Side One and move back in at the start of Side Two. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
InsideOfYou Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2010, 16:31

In 1990, when it was released, cassette was the best selling music format. The cut off is pretty close to exact 30:00 (so no major rewinding/fast forwarding needed on either Side 1 or Side 2.

Except that there is NO SIDE 1 OR SIDE 2!! So you don't know what you're going to hear whenever you press play.

I heard it the best way possible in my opinion, on my Nakamichi cassette deck and Sony Pro-Walkman. Later on I got hold of both the vinyl and CD versions which both sounded too cold and harsh to my ears. BASF ferric with Dolby B NR did (and still does) the trick for me with Amarok.
And yes, I do prefer it in 'halves' . For MP3 I have split into two to replicate the same experience  :)
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 10:49

Oddly enough I just dusted down my Nakamichi cassette deck....what a lovely bit of kit....shame it doesnt get used much
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Dec. 29 2010, 16:24

Amarok was never my favourite too and I never listened to it on cassette. I always preferred the special limited edition gold picture disc cd from Australia (CDVG2640) for sounds sake or the test pressing (CDV 2640 WL).

By the way, which cassette deck from Nakamichi do you own? I still use my fully computerized Akai GX-F91, which is running and sounding just like the first day.

:D

Edited by manintherain on Dec. 29 2010, 16:25
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2010, 19:47

Yes, definately good to have the little break in the middle. i also like the other version 'cos I discovered it recently!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2010, 21:46

Personally, I like to listen to it in one shot, mainly because at the end, when the woman say:

"...However, as we have all come this far, I think, under the circumstances the best solution is that we all just keep going..."

Yes because listening to a intense non-stop piece of music for 1 hour without stop (because with a normal CD player, when you press stop, the cd automatically rewind to the beginning so you don't want to stop it and come later; it's not like DVD players that remember where we are) is something rare and I remember the first time I listened to Amarok (it was a CD), this woman speaking to us, listeners, at the end, was kind of a reward, that my effort of trying to absorb all this piece of music in one shot was worth it. It was a very great feeling.

Normally, we can discover an album songs by songs if we want, but with Amarok it was a kind of challenge to discover!
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 08:42

Quote (manintherain @ Dec. 29 2010, 21:24)
Amarok was never my favourite too and I never listened to it on cassette. I always preferred the special limited edition gold picture disc cd from Australia (CDVG2640) for sounds sake or the test pressing (CDV 2640 WL).

By the way, which cassette deck from Nakamichi do you own? I still use my fully computerized Akai GX-F91, which is running and sounding just like the first day.

:D

Its the 1.5 from circa 1993 (ish)...doesnt have the really fast rewind from its predecessor which is the only thing that I was dissapointed with all those years ago.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2011, 14:08

I wouldn't say side 2 fades in.  One note plays and the first guitar part of the footsteps track comes in at high volume.  I didn't catch the CD version until after 2000 and I'd wondered if the slight tonal shift meant there was a second or two missing.  But it's all there in all it's magnificence!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2011, 14:15

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Jan. 07 2011, 14:08)
I wouldn't say side 2 fades in.  One note plays and the first guitar part of the footsteps track comes in at high volume.  I didn't catch the CD version until after 2000 and I'd wondered if the slight tonal shift meant there was a second or two missing.  But it's all there in all it's magnificence!

I always found it pretty neat that the guitar part you mention starts EXACTLY at the 30:00 mark on the CD. I only noticed it when I opened the track on an audio editor, and I can't say it was unintentional, because that footsteps section is exactly at 120 beats per minute -- every "upbeat" matches the change of the seconds.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2011, 18:16

I'm relived to hear that. When I bought Amarok on CD I didn't have my own CD player, so I'd copy it on to cassette so I could listen on my walkman-like device; so I had to guess where the split was and I put it around the footsteps bit too. I had to do the fade by hand using the volume knob on the cassette deck. Heady days.
Profile PM 
InsideOfYou Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2011, 14:22

I cannot recommend playing the tape on the Technics RS-AZ-7 cassette deck(with 'play direct' function on) highly enough. A big wide open soundstage, lots of fine detail, and HUGE, TIGHT, ULTRA-POWERFUL, 'HORSE-POWER' BASS!!

Mind-blowingly, gob-smackingly good, I just feel like turning the volume up, and when I do, I hear even more amazing detail :D
Profile PM 
13 replies since Dec. 22 2010, 21:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net