Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Question about Time has come., Who does 'time has come' refer to?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
DanishDonJuan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 26 2004, 03:06

I was wondering if anyone knows the meaning and background of the song 'the time has come'.
Who is it refering to was the child 'born to be a king', and knew birds and bees etc.?
Is the child Christ, some other or a fictional character? does anyone know?

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2004, 07:07

In the music video, it is King Tut !

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 26 2004, 11:55

Quote (hiawatha @ Nov. 26 2004, 07:07)
In the music video, it is King Tut !

who is King Tut?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2004, 12:32

He means Faraoh Tutankhamen. It's true that he's the one who appears on the video but I think the lyrics can be apply to nearly all the kings of legends (King Arthur for istance) and also fairy tales.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2004, 18:34

I still think that when Mike originally wrote the lyrics he meant to refer to Jesus. There are various Christmas song that refer to the child Jesus as a king being born - "Mary's boy child" is one: "Hark now here, the angels sing, a king was born today". :) But, Spinne, you may be right - the lyrics as a whole are generalized and they could actually refer to any royal character. Just like "The crowning of the king" by Blackmore's Night: it was written in the 1600s about a particular king, but it really could refer to any other one. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2004, 05:25

Thanks Hiawatha & Ugo.
I did expect it to be Christ, but yes it could refer to many Kings, though I would not have expected King Tut to be described as knowing birds and bees, taming the wind and being one you could "feel" being near.
And with Mike having so many religious and spiritual lyrics, such as in 'Peace on Earth', 'When the nights on fire', on TSODE and many others I did expect it to at least be a King associated with spirituality.
But if he was the King in the music video perhaps you are right Hiawatha.

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2004, 09:01

I'm pretty sure that Mike had total creative control over his videos, and he had to have had good reason to use King Tut imagerely in the video for "The Time has Come"

But I agree with you: the lyrics definitely imply a much more messianic, or spiritual figure. The boy King of Egypt does not fit the bill for that.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2004, 09:37

The idea of 'kingship' has often had a kind of fateful spirituality associated with it - the idea of the king as God's representative on Earth, for instance; or indeed actually as a god. I fancy Mike is tapping into that here in a general way. The famous gold mask of Tutankhamun does have a searching, spiritual, godlike quality to it, don't you think, that fits well with the idea?
Profile PM 
7 replies since Nov. 26 2004, 03:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net