Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Question - Mike´s speaking on Amarok< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 24 2004, 16:14

Listen to this part here,from 26 minutes up to 26:20...I hear Mike´s voice on it speaking a lot of phrases,all overdubbed.
Anyone can get what is it?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 24 2004, 18:19

I've seen that already, and it took me a lot of effort to actually hear what he's saying. But on the left channel, he's listing all the "track titles" (if you're quick you can catch him saying "fast riff intro intro" right at the beginning, and I can catch stuff like "scot diddlybom mad bit" and "intermission" somewhere), and in the right channel, he's saying "not to be listened by cloth-eared nincompoops". Maybe he says something else, but I'm not sure.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2004, 21:56

Quoting from Steve Farrell's Amarok analysis, here on tubular.net:

26:07-26:20 'Intermission' with whispered spoken vocals in all three channels saying different things (left - 'Not to be listened to by cloth eared nincompoops', centre - recites track listing, right - makes some kind of speech, the point of which I'm not sure of).

That pretty much sums it up, I think. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
c_haese Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2004, 09:07

I disagree with both Sir Mustapha and Steve Farrell on the channel positions. 'Nincompoops' is on the left, the track listing is on the right, and the indistinct speech is in the middle. However, I only have the remastered HDCD version of Amarok. Did the original version have different channel positions?

Carsten Haese.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2004, 19:00

I've got both versions, and I checked a minute ago...

The original version is exactly as Steve Farrell wrote. The HDCD version, for some peculiar reason I'm not aware of :),  reverses the positions of the left and right channel [left = indistinct speech, right = 'Nincompoops'], but the track list is always in the middle

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 27 2004, 06:01

I guess you're right. The only way I was able to figure out the speeches was either converting the album into MP3, into Winamp, and panning HARD left and listening closely, and panning HARD right and listening again - or putting on headphones, each one at a time. That way, I was able to listen to the track order, and follow most of it. It took me a while to get the "not to be listened blah blah blah", though. Oh, well.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
5 replies since Jan. 24 2004, 16:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net