Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Quadraphonic Ommadawn< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ethain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 24 2007, 06:49

I have information enough about the differences between Stereo TB & HR, and their Boxed Quadraphonic Remixes. But I can't find any information about the differences between Quad Ommadawn (Boxed LP and Quad LP seem to be same remix, aren't they?) and LP Ommadawn. There was, years ago, a web with a detailed comparison, but it's no longer available, or I can't find it again. Anyone has any information resource for this?
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2007, 07:03

I cannot remember seeing a breakdown of the differences between Stereo & Quad versions. But then again I might have even put something together myself and forgotten about it! I think there are small differences, if any, compared to the other two remixed albums. If you really need to know, then I suggest you listen to both with a pen, paper and stopwatch - that's what I used to do. Yes, the Quad LP & Boxed mixes are the same.

Anyway, I've been delving through some old notes for something on Quad Ommadawn and this is what I have. The quad mix of Ommadawn took 5 days soon after the original was completed. The original stereo record was cut at Utopia cutting rooms, but Philip Newell had to fly to New York to supervise the mastering of the SQ Quad version at CBS studios then the QS Quad cut was done at Pye back in the UK. I'm not absolutely certain but I guess the Quad mix was done at The Manor in September 1975 just after they had new equipment installed that could handle 4 channels.
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2007, 07:46

Out of curiosity - a bit of googling has found these quotes:

"All the instruments and arrangements on "Ommadawn" were still intact, but the remixing also here contains many audible differences. The first thing you'll notice is that the synths are considerably louder on the opening part, and many of the transitions and climaxes during the piece also sound louder. Simmond's discreet but important backing vocals were now occasionally inaudible on some passages. But in the final passage you'll hear some wordless male vocals that were very low in the original mix."

"The first part contains a chant, by Clodagh Simonds, that builds up toward the conclusion. Played back in surround, this chant takes on an etherial quality; Clodagh's voice suspended in mid-air as the additional instruments gradually come in. This is lost in the stereo mix, which I also have on another CD."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2007, 18:19

Hey that's interesting Airborne. Is the Boxed CD set released in Quad or is that the LP only.  I wonder if it's possible to notice the differences in stereo, rather than surround, not that I can play my Quad Boxed Ommadawn as I only have them on LP, and am currently without a turntable  :O .  

BTW my Ommadawn LP, which appears to be immaculate, has catalogue no QV2043 on side 1 and QVQS2043 on side 2  :/ , and QVQS 2043 on the LP sleeve wonder if there was a printing error made with some copies.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2007, 20:37

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Mar. 27 2007, 00:19)
Is the Boxed CD set released in Quad or is that the LP only.  I wonder if it's possible to notice the differences in stereo, rather than surround

Yes, the Boxed CD preserves the SQ quad mix and if you hear it in stereo you still can find very slightly differences between this mix and the stereo one (the instruments are not exactly "balanced" (don't know if this is the right word to explain this) in the same way). So, sometimes some instruments seems to sound a bit more or less relevant than in the original version.
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2007, 14:01

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Mar. 26 2007, 23:19)
BTW my Ommadawn LP, which appears to be immaculate, has catalogue no QV2043 on side 1 and QVQS2043 on side 2  :/ , and QVQS 2043 on the LP sleeve wonder if there was a printing error made with some copies.

This could be a printing error as QV2043 was the number for the SQ encoded version and QVQS2043 was the number for the QS encoded version. I'd be interested to know if the encoding on both sides was different, but logic says this is more likely to be the QS encoded version slightly mislabelled.

Spinne is quite right, it appears that the SQ quad signal encoded into the stereo compatible LPs is still recoverable from the Boxed CD.
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 28 2007, 12:12

Most Folks dont have a Quad System or even less likely a LP these days... I tried Putting my Stereo and PC Speakers in 4 Corners recently.. Sync the MP3 and CD in the Hi Fi and PC you can get some strange effects playing around with the levels on both players  :D
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2007, 17:26

You don't actually need a Quad system - if you have a home cinema system, you just have to switch it to 'Dolby ProLogic' (or 'Dolby Surround'). It's not the real thing, but close enough...
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2007, 20:14

Quote (Deadcalm @ Mar. 28 2007, 16:12)
Most Folks dont have a Quad System or even less likely a LP these days... I tried Putting my Stereo and PC Speakers in 4 Corners recently.. Sync the MP3 and CD in the Hi Fi and PC you can get some strange effects playing around with the levels on both players  :D

I'm wondering if running 2 pairs of speakers  off the one amp would give a similar effect to quad or surround sound. It's just that at the mo I have one pair of speakers, hope these don't go wrong otherwise it's use a tinpot £20 portable radio /cd player :O. Due to money constraints at the present time can't really afford to upgrade hi fi or have second hi -fi in bedroom, but it's next to my lounge anyway, it's just that I sometimes  love a loud blast of Ommadawn  whilst I'm in my bedroom I'd love to do it without my neighbours complaining, not that they do. The one who didn't like me playing Ommadawn at 9am on a Saturday morning , and then gave me a blast of George Michael  :p  at 3am Sunday  has moved out.  YIPPPPEEEEEE!!!

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2007, 06:41

@moonchild:
Well, poor man's quadro back in those days was to hook 2 speakers in series between the amp's left and right (+) speaker terminals for the rear speakers, like:

Amp L(+) ---(+)spk1(-)----(+)spk2(-)----Amp R(+)

With a car stereo, when you have separate bridge amps for the rear speakers already, you can even go:

Amp L(+) ---(+)spk1(-)----Amp R(+)
Amp L(-) ---(+)spk2(-)----Amp R(-)

I once even had a cross-switch in my car to toggle the rear speakers between normal and 'Quad' mode - worked nice for some tracks...
Profile PM WEB 
Vicenç Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2007, 18:27

Thanks for your help, Airborne. That data was helpful!
Profile PM 
Ethain Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2007, 18:30

Thanks for your help, Airborne. That data was helpful!
(Recovered my old user/password, didnt work for a few moments)
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2007, 15:25

PS: I just checked my copy - it has QVQS 2043 on both side's labels, V2043 on the inner sleeve with the 'family snapshot' and STEREO V2043 on the outer sleeve, with a silver sticker 'QS Quadrophonic Ommadawn'. Matrix numbers are QVQS 2043 A-3U and B-1U.
Profile PM WEB 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2007, 17:54

a_r_schulz,

Your copy is identical as mine.
Some discographies list QVQS 2043 as "unreleased" when clearly it was released. Virgin would not go the trouble of getting the QS encoding done and then not release it. Phillip Newell has said that a DBX noise reduced version was made and I think that is what remained unreleased, because not many people had the hardware to take advantage of it. In the mid-70s, Hi-Fi magazines were full of quad decoders.
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: April 30 2007, 07:34

I can't recall if I've mentioned this before but if you pop over to http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/ and then go to http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53 there are some threads there that talk about software based decoding of both SQ and QS encoded CD's and LP's.
You will need a copy of Adobe Audition 2.0 (1.5 is possible and I think you can get a free evaluation version of it off the Adobe site) a fairly good PC and load of disc space.
Essentiay you rip the LP into a .wav file (not mp3) and run it through audition with the scripts on the site and after a while (quite a while in fact!;) you will end up with a fully decoded set of .wav's.
You can then play this on a PC (with a bit more of  fiddle) a with 5.1 card and at least windows media player 9, or you can get some more software to either encode into DTS (about £50) or to DVD-A (about £20).
There is loads of info avalable and the guys there are very helpfull.
I have the original Ommadawn, boxed, SQ and QS mixes, a very early CD and a casette version, all sound great and I'm hoping Mike will release it in 5.1
Profile PM 
14 replies since Mar. 24 2007, 06:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net