Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Quad mixes (again!!), Deep Purple and M.O.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 01 2006, 11:02

I think this fits here. If it doesn't... admins... please move it. :)

I'm pretty sure that the subject matter of this has already been discussed, always by me, and maybe even already answered. If there are answers somewhere in here, please point me at them. But I'm bringing this up again now because yesterday I heard for the first time the quad mixes in the second CD of Deep Purple's Machine Head reissue... the first CD of the set being Roger Glover's contemporary (1997) remixes of all the songs in the album, the second being 'just' a remaster, plus two quad mixes, of "Maybe I'm a Leo" and "Lazy". I played these through my 5.1 system with a Pro Logic II decoder and this is what I got:

- The solo parts (vocals, guitar solos, organ solos) all go in the front-middle speaker, with reverb on all the other speakers.

- Most of the bass goes to the subwoofer (of course), but some is on the front-left and front-right speakers.

- The rear speakers feature the accompaniment (drums, rhythm guitar parts, rhythm organ & electric piano parts).

This separation just isn't there in the 'ordinary' stereo mixes, where the instruments and vocals are pretty much everywhere, although with seemingly varying volume levels.

On Viv Stanshall's spoken "Sailor's Hornpipe" at the end of TB (1973), from Boxed, his voice is 'in the middle' i.e. it is on all speakers, constantly. The guitar, mandolin and footsteps move around all the time in a counter-clockwise motion, starting approximately from the front-right and front-middle speakers.

If anyone else has heard these mixes (Deep Purple's and TB) through a Pro Logic II decoder, or, still better, through an original quad decoder, I'd like to know from them whether the renditions I described above are corresponding to what the original mixes are supposed to be, or my system is re-rendering them in a different way. Thanks in advance. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
0 replies since Jan. 01 2006, 11:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net