Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: QE2's guitar solo...Wow!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 11:18

The first part... ;)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 11:53

Oooooh!  It's not the bit that starts at about 6:06 is it?
:)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 14:43

Grrrr... this game is impossible! How the heck is anyone supposed to identify something like "diddlydiddlydeedeedeedideedeee, diddlydiddlydeedeedidileedee..."

See? You've made me say 'heck'.

Is it "Thrash"?

ETA

Oops. Just realized I was using track names from TB2003. Is that allowed?

And why am I worrying about rules??

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 15:02

here's the original, plus a bit more...

"diddlydiddlydeedeedeedideee, diddlydiddlydeedeedidileedee, diddilydiddilydiddilydiddilydeedeedeedeedeedeedeedee,deediddilydeedeedeedeedee..."

It must me obvious now, surely...?  :D

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 15:05

That's the opening theme on guitar?

ETA

We are still talking about guitar parts?? I'm so confused.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 15:11

Still sounds like the bit I thought it was earlier.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 15:50

Poor, Tony! It takes a very patient sort to play 'The Gamemaster'. Don't give up on us.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 15:54

Seriously, those "diddly-diddly" type riffs are nigh on impossible to reproduce live. See Mike get "stuck" when he does Ommadawn live on the Montreux video. It could be one reason that this (great!) track hasn't been played live a lot.

Steve Howe does a similiar thing in the middle of "Awaken" (from Yes' "Going for the one" album). He must have done hundreds of takes in the studio to get it right, because live it sounds weak and sloppy.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 17:18

Quote (Ebony @ Aug. 20 2007, 11:53)
Oooooh!  It's not the bit that starts at about 6:06 is it?

Ebony!! I've just seen this post, that I must've missed earlier!!

Hurray! Hurray! You're completely right! ( Thank God! )

Your turn next!

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 00:57

Oh, well done, Ebony! And thank you, Tony, for the game. While it was fun, I think I'll pass on the next one - too much stress for me.  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 01:13

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 20 2007, 15:54)
Seriously, those "diddly-diddly" type riffs are nigh on impossible to reproduce live. See Mike get "stuck" when he does Ommadawn live on the Montreux video. It could be one reason that this (great!) track hasn't been played live a lot.

Yes, larstangmark, I can see that such intricacy could be extremely difficult to perform 'on-the-spot'. I have every faith that Mike was capable, and one should also consider that, in the case of Montreux, he was almost constantly playing - oftentimes complex pieces - throughout the performance. But to be more relevant to your point, even coming into it fresh, I imagine it could be a guitarist's nightmare.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 19:29

Quote (Sweatpea @ Aug. 21 2007, 06:13)
Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 20 2007, 15:54)
Seriously, those "diddly-diddly" type riffs are nigh on impossible to reproduce live. See Mike get "stuck" when he does Ommadawn live on the Montreux video. It could be one reason that this (great!;) track hasn't been played live a lot.

Yes, larstangmark, I can see that such intricacy could be extremely difficult to perform 'on-the-spot'. I have every faith that Mike was capable, and one should also consider that, in the case of Montreux, he was almost constantly playing - oftentimes complex pieces - throughout the performance. But to be more relevant to your point, even coming into it fresh, I imagine it could be a guitarist's nightmare.

And even though he goofed, he played it perfectly a bit later.
Throughout the whole Montreux performance there's parts (most of them "diddlydiddly" riffs  :) ) where it looks like he's only pretending to play; his fingers are wiggling over the frets at an alarming rate and I'm thinking, he can't possibly be playing that fast!
But he is, and...whoa...
:cool:

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Aug. 20 2007, 22:18)
Hurray! Hurray! You're completely right! ( Thank God! )

Yay! :D *Does victory dance*
My turn?  I'll need a break first, my brain is addled...
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 02:48

Quote (Ebony @ Aug. 21 2007, 19:29)
Throughout the whole Montreux performance there's parts (most of them "diddlydiddly" riffs  :) ) where it looks like he's only pretending to play; his fingers are wiggling over the frets at an alarming rate and I'm thinking, he can't possibly be playing that fast!
But he is, and...whoa...
:cool:

He's fascinating to watch, isn't he? Not only for the fingerwork, but the look of absorption and the way he sometimes mouthed the guitar sounds. Strangely, though, at no point did I see him say "diddlydiddly".  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 09:05

Quote (Sweetpea @ Aug. 22 2007, 07:48)
He's fascinating to watch, isn't he? Not only for the fingerwork, but the look of absorption and the way he sometimes mouthed the guitar sounds. Strangely, though, at no point did I see him say "diddlydiddly".  ;)

He really is.  It amazes me how he seems to really concentrate on what he's playing, yet make it look so effortless at the same time.  It's like pours his heart and soul into every single note.  Incredible.

And no, I didn't see him say "diddlydiddly" either!   :laugh:

Oooh, I just noticed - they changed your name!  :)
Profile PM 
33 replies since Jan. 22 2001, 17:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net