[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: QE2's guitar solo...Wow!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2001, 17:31

Wow!

Oh, maybe one of his best... dont'ya thixo?

But I have 1 Quest Yon:

O.K. Is it really an speeded up, 2X speed guitar solo? I don´t want to seem pretentious, but I can nearly play it...it´s not so difficult.

I don´t know if he had played QE2 alive... I would like to now... does anybody know...? Thanks. smile

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 22 2001, 17:49

No, it's not speeded up (the tone would change if it was, going more 'pingy') - Mike just plays like that.

Something I often say is that nothing is difficult to play, but nothing's easy either. It's often easy to get the notes there, but making them sound good is what makes players like Mike great...
Sometimes slow ones are harder to get right than fast ones.

I've heard parts of QE2 played live, but not that particular bit. He probably has done it - I've not listened to very many of the live recordings that are out there.

I hope that helps...
Profile PM 
Lightspeed Offline

Posted: July 11 2002, 08:53

what solo are u guys talking about?

The lil fast thing at QE2 Finale?......That one that reminds  Ommadawn part 1 (before the ending tune of OMMA Part 1) and that also reminds Hergest Ridge PArt 2 with clean sound?

....or also to be kinda quoted in FWAC ?

Pretty fast ain't it?

:)  :)

--------------
"Thou Art In Heaven" :D
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 11 2002, 19:39

Yes, the one that goes diddlydiddlydiddlydiddly, etc ;)

Having a guitar like the SG with unrestricted access to those top frets makes that solo a whole lot easier to play...

It's a great one - a part that invites either air guitar or playing along, depending on whether there's a guitar around at the time (it'll also depend on whether you can actually play it, of course...).
Profile PM 
Lightspeed Offline

Posted: July 12 2002, 18:58

:laugh:

the "diddlydiddly".....nice name....
he sure uses that a lot

--------------
"Thou Art In Heaven" :D
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: July 13 2002, 09:36

Yeah..there's also a 'diddlydiddly' bit on Amarok maybe intentinally similar to the Ommadawn one. These diddly parts are my favourite! :laugh:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 09 2007, 03:49

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 11 2002, 19:39)
the one that goes diddlydiddlydiddlydiddly

LOL. Which part is that? The guitar is happily everpresent throughout this piece, but I noticed a nice solo from 4:00 to 4:35. Is that it? I'm so confused! Anyway, I've been playing this track a lot lately - it's fantastic.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: June 09 2007, 05:32

diddlydiddly'

is Flanders here
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 03:57

Hey - could this be the beginning of a great new Tubular.net game - "Name That Diddly!"

Here's one to start us off - where's these diddly's from?

"diddlydiddlydeedeedeedideedeee, diddlydiddlydeedeedidileedee..."

Any takers? No? Oh...  :(

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 17:12

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Aug. 16 2007, 08:57)

Oooh, that's a tough one that!
Is it Ommadawn?
;)
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 17:21

Quote (Ebony @ Aug. 16 2007, 17:12)

Is it Ommadawn?
;)

Ah... close - but no! You'd kick yourself if I gave you the answer, so I won't yet...

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 17:30

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Aug. 16 2007, 22:21)
Quote (Ebony @ Aug. 16 2007, 17:12)

Is it Ommadawn?
;)

Ah... close - but no! You'd kick yourself if I gave you the answer, so I won't yet...

Amarok?

(and if not, can I have a clue...)
:)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2007, 03:36

Is it heard before Incantations?

(Pssst... are we threadjacking?)

ETA

Oh, wait... is it "On Horseback"?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 17 2007, 03:53

(Psssst.... yes we are, but people are welcome to pull the thread back on track if they really wanted to...! )

Nopes - it's none of those! Sorry! A Clue - it's part of one of his longer works...

--------------
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2007, 06:50

It's not Tubular Bells by any chance is it...?
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2007, 07:42

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 22 2001, 17:49)
No, it's not speeded up (the tone would change if it was, going more 'pingy';) - Mike just plays like that.

Something I often say is that nothing is difficult to play, but nothing's easy either. It's often easy to get the notes there, but making them sound good is what makes players like Mike great...
Sometimes slow ones are harder to get right than fast ones.

I've heard parts of QE2 played live, but not that particular bit. He probably has done it - I've not listened to very many of the live recordings that are out there.

I hope that helps...

He plays that particular part on the Montreaux live video.  Oh yeah
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 17 2007, 11:56

Quote (Ebony @ Aug. 17 2007, 06:50)
It's not Tubular Bells by any chance is it...?

Aha!! Very good! But which bit?!

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2007, 22:00

Is it the bass part in "Finale"?

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 04:06

Quote (Sweatpea @ Aug. 19 2007, 22:00)
Is it the bass part in "Finale"?

As Bill Clinton once said... "Close, but no cigar!"

--------------
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 11:03

Can we have another clue?  Is it in the first part or the second part?  I've been listening intently trying to find it but I can only skip to parts where I think it might be, cause if I listen continuously for more than 10 minutes I get carried away by the awesomeness and forget what I was actually listening out for!
:D
Profile PM 
33 replies since Jan. 22 2001, 17:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net