Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Q Magazine October 2009, Article about Mike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Taurus Outcast Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 07:03

i just hope his lawyers are working overtime for him, because that is a disgraceful publication by Q! In addition i think mike needs advice when disclosing information to the press....
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 08:50

Quote (Taurus Outcast @ Aug. 29 2009, 07:03)
i think mike needs advice when disclosing information to the press....

Needs a good manager I think.

A manager who would get someone like Stuart Maconie to interview him - he'd be good for him. Maconie's got that lively, inquisitive and encouraging kind of style, who you'd trust to be on your side. I suspect the interview would go fine (as it did on Radio 2 recently), and I can't imagine Maconie describing Mike as "bitter" in his summing up.

For people who don't know Stuart Maconie - I would say he's a cross between Matt, Ugo and Dirk Star :D  :p

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 09:28

Quote (Taurus Outcast @ Aug. 29 2009, 07:03)
i just hope his lawyers are working overtime for him, because that is a disgraceful publication by Q! In addition i think mike needs advice when disclosing information to the press....

I'm not sure there was anything defamatory in the article though was there?  I wasnt really struck on anything remotely bad about the article.  Besides its hard for celebs to prove defamation now as by becoming a celeb they are automatically in the public eye anyway and its classed as kind of giving up  some of their privacy rights. I forgot the technical term for it, but its something along those lines.  

To be honest I've met with a hell of a lot more libel in one of my  freind's court proceedings than in that article. 'Experts' are apparantly classed as 'exempt from defamation.' Shameful isnt it how some of these people at the top of the food chain can get away with being unethical and writing bias comments that can not be proven. They were really judged and nobody could do anything about it legally for her, apart from say that the 'expert' had surpassed ethical boundary but nothing more serious could be done about it.

Celebs should take a look at what more mundane people have to deal with sometimes instead of complaining about small aspects in their lives all the time in aid of trying to gain attention and the sympathy vote.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 17:25

Quote (Silver Negus @ Aug. 27 2009, 15:32)
who can really know anybody?

Totally agree, Silver. Not even sure I know myself, let alone anyone else. <-:

Are any of you ever interviewed by the media, out of curiosity? I find it scary and absolutely amazing how they can pull things out of context, recombine, and get a totally different msg out than anything resembling what you said. That happens to me. Then there is the time that an editor friend printed a statement that I'd made in jest, "Oh. We think she's a refugee from Betelgeuse" (referring to my oldest daughter who was 5 weeks old at the time) and it ended up in the Oct 1987 issue of Sky & Telescope. I was horrified. And here he was a friend! Ha! Of course, there are some really top-notch journos out there who really listen, and ask great questions (including that one, actually). I don't think the one interviewing Mike falls into that category.

Interviews rarely go the way you think they are going to, and even worse if you are having a bad day. The statements about music, friends, the house being boarded up--maybe he had boarded the house up for the hurricane that almost hit the Bahamas--that's what ppl do--and it was left while they're traveling. We really don't know how much was pulled out of context and what was said out of irritation and frustration. Maybe his blood sugar crashed. The first time I read it I thought, "Oh my."  The second time I read it, I wondered if he was having a good laugh and the entire thing was meant to be wickedly ironic. The third time I read it...oh yeah....there hasn't been a third time. But, ATM, I am thinking "OK....whatever. Hucana matata. Peace, Love, and Pony Swims."  And watch out for the evil eye of the hurricane.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2009, 03:27

Quote (wiga @ Aug. 28 2009, 03:42)
Not sure you could use a 50 pence piece in Bermuda - but this Bermuda coin looks similar.    

the ship on that coin looks rather familiar....I'm thinking Blue Peter here...........  :cool:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums....r01.jpg

have read both interviews, still thinking about them, I remain loyal to Mike, always will. I think the journalists just didn't like him..and that doesn't surprise me because I bet he is a bit hard to talk to. He's also not 'fashionable' & they don't know what to make of him or his life. I also think if I were Mike I'd be utterly fed up with the whole interview thing...I can't think of anything worse actually...getting on with your life then suddenly phone goes and coz someone somewhere  ( in distant office ) has agreed you would talk you have to start answering daft questions of a total stranger. No, I don't think I'd like that. He's a complex person..we all are, some are more open that's all.

I'd like to hear he's happy, but if he banged on about how wonderful everything was that would be criticized too. Can't win can he?

I'll always read what I can about him, I can't stop myself...I'll always love his music, I'll always listen to anything new he chooses to put out but if that's it and he's done with putting stuff out there again - then so be it. I accept his decision. He owes us nothing in my mind, look what he has given us  already. I know I am grateful for his music..it's got me through some difficult times...and it still works 30+ years on.

I believe it's not going to be for a few hundred years that he will be truly appreciated, and that's very sad in a way to us fans today, but maybe it's out of our control, other mysterious powers at work perhaps...we must remember we are the lucky ones to have discovered and immersed ourselves in such beautiful music.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2009, 06:48

Quote (bee @ Aug. 30 2009, 03:27)
have read both interviews, still thinking about them, I remain loyal to Mike, always will. I think the journalists just didn't like him..and that doesn't surprise me because I bet he is a bit hard to talk to. He's also not 'fashionable' & they don't know what to make of him or his life. I also think if I were Mike I'd be utterly fed up with the whole interview thing...

I don't see what evidence there is that either of those journalists don't like Mike? Mat Snow wrote the Mojo article and he's a hugely respected music journalist who seriously knows his music and writes very good music journalism. The Mojo TB article is one of the better pieces of writing (certainly in recent years) I've read on the album and is a very good and fair reappraisal of it. Mat Snow is a fan I would say, believe it or not Mike actually does have more of them than a lot of us think in the music business, and certianly more than the man himself thinks by the sounds of things. Though the more he spouts ridiculous antagonizing drivel in interviews the more thats likely to change, maybe thats what he wants though?  

The Q article is certainly more sensationalist but I wouldn't say its written at all from a negative stand point, considering the amount of petulant guff Mike spoke I'm sure it could have been twisted into a much worse piece had the journalist seriously disliked him. As for not being 'fashionable' well as far as his inclusion in Mojo is concerned I think he's up against some pretty stiff competition in that department.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2009, 09:03

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 30 2009, 06:48)
Quote (bee @ Aug. 30 2009, 03:27)
have read both interviews, still thinking about them, I remain loyal to Mike, always will. I think the journalists just didn't like him..and that doesn't surprise me because I bet he is a bit hard to talk to. He's also not 'fashionable' & they don't know what to make of him or his life. I also think if I were Mike I'd be utterly fed up with the whole interview thing...

I don't see what evidence there is that either of those journalists don't like Mike? Mat Snow wrote the Mojo article and he's a hugely respected music journalist who seriously knows his music and writes very good music journalism. The Mojo TB article is one of the better pieces of writing (certainly in recent years) I've read on the album and is a very good and fair reappraisal of it. Mat Snow is a fan I would say, believe it or not Mike actually does have more of them than a lot of us think in the music business, and certianly more than the man himself thinks by the sounds of things. Though the more he spouts ridiculous antagonizing drivel in interviews the more thats likely to change, maybe thats what he wants though?  

The Q article is certainly more sensationalist but I wouldn't say its written at all from a negative stand point, considering the amount of petulant guff Mike spoke I'm sure it could have been twisted into a much worse piece had the journalist seriously disliked him. As for not being 'fashionable' well as far as his inclusion in Mojo is concerned I think he's up against some pretty stiff competition in that department.

I also can't get on the 'blame the interviewer' bandwagon. Mike's a grown 57 year old man and responsible for himself and reponsible for putting the intervewer at ease to some extent. I know he has anxieties in this department but it doesn't follow that the interviewer's to blame if Mike messes up - and that the interviewer should make allowances. If there happens to be a particular person Mike would prefer to speak to (I mentioned Stuart Maconie), then again it's up to Mike to make it happen. I think as fans it's tempting to make excuses for him - and like Toby says, I expect he's more respected in the industry than we might give him credit for by people who would probably love the opportunity for Mike to engage with them, or be a mentor.
It also occurred to me that I would have thought Fanny might give him a pep talk before an interview (as partner's do) - "for goodness sakes don't mention drugs and premonitions and show an interest in the guy."   ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 31 2009, 07:29

The Independent have a small comment on the recent Mike interviews....

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2009, 09:31

Firstly, thanks to Tati for providing me with the interview!

Second... ouch. Really. The interviewer clearly has an agenda, but Mike doesn't exactly make it hard for him to prove it. I can just hear a grumpy old man going "Why, why, why!!! That's all you can ask!!!". And the photographs are... painful. When I see the one on the boat, with a t-shirt and underwear and nothing else, and next to it the words "I'm very mistrustful of people", all I can think of is "you should have been more mistrustful of the photographer who took those".

It must be extremely difficult to deal with -- from "Mike Oldfart" through media being disinterested in anything that doesn't feature the words "tubular" and "bells" in the title, through fans who don't like the songs and record label that doesn't like the instrumentals.

I wonder how much of his music came from genuine wanting to put it out and how much from the record label forcing him to make it, or from bills demanding to be paid. This interview almost suggests TB to be the only "genuine" record he's made. Honestly? I think the last one he's made out of enjoyment and put real ideas into was "Songs of the Distant Earth". I enjoy TB3 and "Music Of The Spheres", but I really wonder if Mike himself does.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2009, 23:44

Thanks very much for sharing the recent articles.
I sense Mike has moved away to the Bahamas, only too glad to be away from the music business, the UK (who, during my time there, the media generally made every effort to make Mike a figure of ridicule), and the media in general.
The "Q" person certainly seemed to have their agenda, which was probably way different to Mike's, and that could have been the source of frustration on Mike's part. He can probably smell 'em coming a mile off!!
Interesting to hear Mike's house is boarded up and he is living on his yacht. Must be enjoying the ocean life?  I can just imagine him plucking away at the Mandolin every night, with renditions of Blue Peter and the Sailor's Hornpipe.
Well, sorry to hear Mike considers he has few friends. Having listened to his music for so many years, he is certainly someone I can respect (from what little I do know of him, except what's revealed in the media and interviews).
So, Mike's favourite music is silence. I could understand that. As a musician, and composer, it must be difficult for him to decipher the musical messages running through his mind, only to be interrupted by the music of the "outside world". Who knows, maybe he has something on the boil right now, or maybe he just appreciates the natural sounds of nature as a means of relaxation?
Anyway, cheers Mike..... BE HAPPY!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 09:49

It's not the first time Q have published something that makes Mike look like a prat.Way back they ran a peice on 'the future of music' and selected a panel of 'experts' on the subject consisting of Mike (cast as "The godfather of ambient")and other luminaries of the day.The panel basically ripped the piss out of Mike who was doing his best to put his point across,only to be ridiculed.Funny thing is Mike's still around and the people who were with him on this discussion aren't.The peice can be viewed in the articles section.
 I sometimes feel sorry for Mike as he seems to find it hard to articulate exactly what he means in words and comes across as a bit aloof.This inability is precisely why he's a musician in my opinion but it leaves him open to misinterpretation and thus ridicule.
 Yes he's barking mad but in an eccentric way that only the British seem to be and he's not out to harm anyone.
 Someone i work with did some work at his house in Buckinghamshire years ago and were surprised to see him on his excercise machine in his purple undies.I just said 'yes that's probably right'.Why not?Leave the poor bugger alone and stop taking potshots at someone who has produced some of the most amazing music!All musician are a bit unusual in one way or another.I know i think in a sideways fashion most of the time! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2009, 05:12

Quote (Drealm @ Aug. 25 2009, 09:37)
I think that Mike should be interviewed by his fans. Real, deep, original, different questions that he never heard. I would be curious how Mike would react to such an announcement: next interview are 30 questions coming straight from the fans.

He would probably react like this -> http://tubular.net/article....ldfield :)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2009, 14:39

Ever read a Roger Waters interview? The man is a genius but comes across as a right idiot in 9 out of 10 articles. It seems the interview situation gets the worst out of him and he seems to blame every journalist he meets for everything written by journalists ever.
Same thing with Robert Fripp, Fish and Peter Gabriel.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2009, 15:36

All I'd like to add, is that in my opinion, Mike probably suffers from some form of Asperger's Syndrome (like myself).  His behaviour strongly suggests it.  This would explain his ongoing wariness of other people, and persistent need to lose himself in the fine detail of his music.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2009, 17:11

Quote (smillsoid @ Sep. 21 2009, 15:36)
Mike probably suffers from some form of Asperger's Syndrome (like myself).  His behaviour strongly suggests it.

I agree. Mike's problems communicating socially (which have been discussed here in some detail), would suggest Asperger's Syndrome. If that's the case then maybe it helps to say so, and in so doing dispel some of the misconceptions and misunderstanding around the kind of  battlles and struggle he's been up against (and you too Simon).

It's ironic though that his ability to express himself and communicate is way above average - when he does it through music.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2009, 06:36

I probably need to back up where I'm coming from - and if I'm speaking out of turn someone please tell me.

It's not about wanting to diagnose the man - but just understand him more accurately. Asperger's Syndrome could be one explanation. Common characteristics include difficulty forming friendships, communication problems, such as an inability to listen or may take what's been said too literally, and an inability to understand social rules and body language. They may have trouble understanding the emotions of other people and so may come across as egocentric, selfish and uncaring. Apparently they are usually genuinely shocked and remorseful when told that their actions are hurtful or inappropriate (unlike a narcissist might react).

Simon bravely flagged up this possibility - and it could explain a lot of things. For me it could also explain why Mike completely omitted relationships and friendships in Changeling, - not something I've ever come across before in an autobiography.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2009, 09:50

That would sound like a plausible theory Wiga but I would assume that he would have mentioned this amongst all the other stuff he mentioned about his mental health issues in Changeling.Or maybe he hasn't been diagnosed.I must stress that apart from depression,which from my own ongoing experiences over the past 10 years or so i know extremely well, i don't really know that much about mental health issues and so can't give an informed opinion.
 From the symptoms you list it does sound like he may have Asperger's.It could also be that he is just very uncomfortable in social situations.I'd say that the bad trip he had on acid would have had something to do with it also.Some people never come back from such an experience and are left very insecure and permamnently scared and scarred.I haven't done any kind of psychedelics for years because i have seen what it can do.There is no such thing as a safe way to do these things,despite what some people may say.
 In the end we may never know why Mike seems to have these problems.We should be thankful that most of us don't have the same sort of problems.Those of us that have (and over the years my self confidence in social situations has been damaged to a large degree although i'm no hermit)would understand.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2009, 11:09

Just wanted to say that, Mike dosnt and has never helped himself with the media or fans and then moans when he gets let down by the people who interview him.

We are all loyal fans but I think we are loyal to the music and not the man. :/
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2009, 14:03

I'd say it's very unlikely that Mike's ever had an 'official diagnosis' of Asperger's.  My wife researched the subject in order to understand my mental problems, and came to the conclusion independently that I may have the condition.  I fit most of the criteria.  When we informed the doctor of this possibility, she was very hesitant to make an on-the-spot diagnosis, and gave the impression that doctors/psychiatrists rarely diagnose Asperger's.  From our own research, my wife and I discovered that most sufferers diagnose themselves.  Some never do this, and I would suspect that Mike falls into this category, explaining no mention of it in Changeling.  Hopefully, Mike has come across online material on Asperger's and put 2 and 2 together - maybe not.  

Whatever way you look at it, labelling people with mental problems as "Nutters" is a deeply insulting and juvenile reaction, and doesn't help anyone understand either Mike or others with similar character attributes.  It just makes matters worse.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2009, 20:47

Quote (smillsoid @ Sep. 22 2009, 15:03)
Whatever way you look at it, labelling people with mental problems as "Nutters" is a deeply insulting and juvenile reaction, and doesn't help anyone understand either Mike or others with similar character attributes.  It just makes matters worse.

Just because you act just a little bit strange,you've been labelled as a nutter...come on!

I prefer Mike my fav rock nutter than a few rockers who are considered as "normal" by the media and they are so stupid when they open their mouths.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
126 replies since Aug. 22 2009, 10:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net