Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Q Magazine October 2009, Article about Mike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 08:39

Thanks Dirk for the scans   :)

Is strikes me that I have heard this "story" before - can't remember where, when and WHY..

But I recall that he was in a (his) big house and the quote then was" that the house was full with silence walking down the long hall"
maybe it was in the beginning when he had Fanny in his hands...

Shortly after that, he reappeared and joined the life on earth and made music and did tours..

I think we need to wait for the mix of cough-syrup and vodka to drain form his veins, before he is in the mood of making music again. -Lets hope it happens before he gets "all the way down below" and sink with his ship..      :/
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 08:48

Thanks Dirk......
Oh dear - I wish I hadn't read it.... groan.

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 09:44

I wonder if Mike was aware, when agreeing to the interview, that it would be presented as the climax to a "Rock Nutters" section?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 09:52

Having now read the article, I don't think it's that bad. Sounds to me like he's just playing with the whole interview format. He's been doing it for 35 years, why not mess about?! I also think it's useful to remember that this article is from a feature called 'Rock Nutters' so the editing process will have focused on those aspects of the interview that will enhance the image of Oldfield as a so called 'rock nutter'. I found the whole thing rather amusing.

As a side note; if Oldfield's favourite music is silence maybe he should consider doing a cover of 4'33" by John Cage! :p

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 09:57

Quote (Dirk Star @ Aug. 27 2009, 07:52)
I`m not sure if Mike is too honest really although I think I understand where you`re coming from.Imo I think he`s become so used to being a certain way in these situations that he`s probably started to believe some of his own evasion tactics.Like you say though it made for very interesting reading in places.Although as usual with a Mike Oldfield interview I always feel that he`s barely scratching at the surface with just about everything.The Tubular Bells thing does`nt help of course,but it`s way too late now for that to ever change.

Well, a man of contraditions I would say. On the one hand apparently quite bold and unselfconscious as he stands there in his olive briefs (all on show  :p), but quite obviously uncomfortable and reticent in other areas. The 'too honest' trait I'm referring to is in the areas where he is a little too bold, where it comes across almost childlike to the point of tactless, - like for instance when he describes in detail the specific mind altering effects of the illegal drugs he took. I think most artists might hold back and be more discreet on a subject like that. The same can be said about how he shares his apparent psychic abiliities to predict disasters. He's certainly not boring when he talks this way, and dare I say quite endearing with it actually - because it's pure.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 09:59

Read some of this in Smith's today (I wasn't going to buy it just for the sake of a few pages). I thought he sounded a bit belligerent at times and generally rather p****d off.  It's possible of course that the treatment was skewed to fit in with the 'Rock's Greatest Nut Cases' angle or that the interviewer was deliberately trying to wind him up because of it, but I'm not sure...  He doesn't sound like a very happy bunny to me  :/  And all I can think of is: "here we go again"  :/

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 11:10

I guess it might explain the prolonged delivery of the new certificates from the ultimate box, which needed to be signed by MO.

I can see the conversation before me:

Head of record company <horc>)  We need to get these 50 cds to Mike, so he can sign them

Assistent <ass>) It's impossible

horc) What do you mean by impossible, do your job and send them to Mike!

ass) He is on a boat and lost in the fucking Bermuda Triangle, I CAN'T!!

horc) well, have you tried to contact him by radio or coastguard??

ass) yes, it's impossible, he is beyond the reach from Earth

horc) then we have to wait. don't contact his annoying fans and tell them that we work on a solution, but are delayed  - what have they done for us lately anyway?

horc) where is the coke when you need it (sigh), I'll take a drink instead   :zzz:
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 11:53

That was quite strange, but interesting. The first link to the pic of Mike in swim trunks, he looks like he's ready to tear somebody's head off. Very angry look. Then I read something strange. At a time pre-dating the Exorcist movie, his mom had an exorcism done by a priest. I've never gotten an answer as to just how that piece of of TB got chosen for the Exorcist? Branson? Agents? The producer or director of the movie heard it and liked it? What? I always wondered whose idea it was to put a 30 second chunk of TB1 in the Exorcist. But it is a strange tie-in. A lot of the script revolved around father Damien telling the mother it is impossible to get an exorcism. If anyone can tell me who decided to use the music from TB1 in that flick, I would appreciate it.
    MO says he disliked HR? Excuse me? The reason I created my account on this site 2 years ago was because of HR and my quest for a restorable tape. MO should have loved HR. Go figure......it was better than TB1 which is not my fav. MO album by a longshot. HR is.
    I can't blame him for choosing silence as his fav. music. Around 1990, my most involved/productive acid rock studio period, when I used to abuse my ears with repetitive extreme high dynamic range drum programming and a secret fake guitar sound "freight train guitar" revolving around an Oberhiem and a Pro-Co RAT distortion box and various FX(very abusive on my ears), I bought a very nice new truck. I deliberately ordered it with NO stereo installed. I wanted that time for my ears to chill, and it was a wise decision.
    Good but strange article. Strange indeed, but enlightening. I can imagine how sick he is of telling the same story of TB1 and 1973 over and over. No wonder he looks pissed off and is uncooperative. Once, I watched a long interview with David Carradine circa 1990, and the interviewer went on and on about Kung Fu. David finally but in a polite way, said "Can we talk about something besides Kung Fu?"
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 12:17

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ Aug. 27 2009, 16:10)
I guess it might explain the prolonged delivery of the new certificates from the ultimate box, which needed to be signed by MO.

I can see the conversation before me:

Head of record company <horc>)  We need to get these 50 cds to Mike, so he can sign them

Assistent <ass>) It's impossible

horc) What do you mean by impossible, do your job and send them to Mike!

ass) He is on a boat and lost in the fucking Bermuda Triangle, I CAN'T!!

horc) well, have you tried to contact him by radio or coastguard??

ass) yes, it's impossible, he is beyond the reach from Earth

horc) then we have to wait. don't contact his annoying fans and tell them that we work on a solution, but are delayed  - what have they done for us lately anyway?

horc) where is the coke when you need it (sigh), I'll take a drink instead   :zzz:

I think you could be on to something there  :D

Or perhaps they did manage to get some of the certificates to him to sign, but they've got lost in the Bermuda Triangle  :laugh: That might be a cause of considerable delay :p

This might also explain MO's 'psychic abilities' and general strangeness, no?

C'mon Mike: give us the lowdown. Is there some sort of weird space-time anomaly out there?  ;)  

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 14:13

I think it had to do with methane gas. Watching the history channel documentories it makes sense. A WW2 plane flys over an area of water where methane pockets are erupting. The carburater(s) get saturated with methane instead of natural air. The engine dies, the wing stalls, they went down. But that does not explain boats. Aliens......those creepy aliens.....me and a buddy abducted 2 aliens in the Nevada desert once(their ship was not salvagable),pumped them full of cheap vodka. Sold them to area 51 for $75 each. Your not buying any of this are you........oh well. I'm off to bed.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 14:52

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Aug. 27 2009, 09:59)
 It's possible of course that the treatment was skewed to fit in with the 'Rock's Greatest Nut Cases' angle or that the interviewer was deliberately trying to wind him up because of it.

I doubt it. The article is certainly a bit more sensationalist than the Mojo one but Mike seems to have done a good job himself as coming across the way he did. I don't think its inclusion in the 'rock nutters' section is particularly mocking, he's in there with some good company. Kate Bush, Syd Barrett, Jaz Coleman (an amazing classical composer now) and Adam Ant   ;) are all very highly regarded and I don't think its mocking any of them.

As a fan it depends very much how you regard this new round of interviews as to whether or not is tarnishes your opinion of him. There's obviously quite a few fans here who still think Mike is this rather idyllic and benevolent ex hippie musical genius who they think of as a kind of friend they know but have never met. Where as the reality is he's not at all like that. He isn't hugely likeable by most normal peoples standards, nor wants to be likeable by the sounds of things.  And I can guarantee you he doesn't want fans thinking of him as a friend and obviously hates the fact that a lot of people out there view him as such.

I do kind of agree with what a few people here have alluded too in that  I think this is all a rather unfortunate blip in his life that maybe he will get over. By his own doing he's become a fairly washed up and exhausted  artist and human being at the age of 57 having been there seen it and done it with every single aspect of his career and has been largely rejected having made a lot of questionable or out right bad creative and personal decisions and this is now what's become of him, but he is the person he is and there's no getting a away from it.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 15:28

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 27 2009, 19:52)
 It's possible of course that the treatment was skewed to fit in with the 'Rock's Greatest Nut Cases' angle or that the interviewer was deliberately trying to wind him up because of it.

I doubt it. The article is certainly a bit more sensationalist than the Mojo one but Mike seems to have done a good job himself as coming across the way he did. I don't think its inclusion in the 'rock nutters' section is particularly mocking, he's in there with some good company. Kate Bush, Syd Barrett, Jaz Coleman (an amazing classical composer now) and Adam Ant   ;) are all very highly regarded and I don't think its mocking any of them.

As a fan it depends very much how you regard this new round of interviews as to whether or not is tarnishes your opinion of him. There's obviously quite a few fans here who still think Mike is this rather idyllic and benevolent ex hippie musical genius who they think of as a kind of friend they know but have never met. Where as the reality is he's not at all like that. He isn't hugely likeable by most normal peoples standards, nor wants to be likeable by the sounds of things.  And I can guarantee you doesn't want fans thinking of him as a friend and obviously hates the fact that a lot of people out there view him as such.

I do kind of agree with what a few people here have alluded too in that  I think this is all a rather unfortunate blip in his life that maybe he will get over. By his own doing he's become a fairly washed and exhausted  artist and human being at the age of 57 having been there seen it and done with every single aspect of his career and has been largely rejected having made a lot of questionable or out right bad creative and personal decisions and this is now what's become of him, but he is the person he is and there's no getting a away from it.

I don't think any of us here have the inside track on what he's 'really' like aside from our own personal interpretations of how he comes across in interviews etc. I certainly don't seek to continuously defend him from legitimate criticism either if that was in any way implied.  That said, there's a whole spectrum of fans on this board some of whom think he's a "k**b", others who regard him in a much more positive light and everything in-between. I personally find him intriguing and exasperating in equal measure - he's (probably) a very flawed individual - and I don't have a lot of time for some of his more 'out-there' ideas (Exegesis anyone? :O) - but I'd rather not be quite as uncharitable about him as some have been.
It's all just speculation though really, isn't it?

--------------

Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 15:32

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Aug. 27 2009, 15:28)
Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 27 2009, 19:52)

As a fan it depends very much how you regard this new round of interviews as to whether or not is tarnishes your opinion of him. There's obviously quite a few fans here who still think Mike is this rather idyllic and benevolent ex hippie musical genius who they think of as a kind of friend they know but have never met. Where as the reality is he's not at all like that. He isn't hugely likeable by most normal peoples standards, nor wants to be likeable by the sounds of things.  And I can guarantee you doesn't want fans thinking of him as a friend and obviously hates the fact that a lot of people out there view him as such.

I do kind of agree with what a few people here have alluded too in that  I think this is all a rather unfortunate blip in his life that maybe he will get over. By his own doing he's become a fairly washed and exhausted  artist and human being at the age of 57 having been there seen it and done with every single aspect of his career and has been largely rejected having made a lot of questionable or out right bad creative and personal decisions and this is now what's become of him, but he is the person he is and there's no getting a away from it.

I don't think any of us here have the inside track on what he's 'really' like aside from our own personal interpretations of how he comes across in interviews etc. I certainly don't seek to continuously defend him from legitimate criticism either if that was in any way implied.  That said, there's a whole spectrum of fans on this board some of whom think he's a "k**b", others who regard him in a much more positive light and everything in-between. I personally find him intriguing and exasperating in equal measure - he's (probably) a very flawed individual - and I don't have a lot of time for some of his more 'out-there' ideas (Exegesis anyone? :O) - but I'd rather not be quite as uncharitable about him as some have been.
It's all just speculation though really, isn't it?

who can really know anybody?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 15:35

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Aug. 27 2009, 15:28)
I certainly don't seek to continuously defend him from legitimate criticism either if that was in any way implied.  

No not at all, I was talking generally about the fan base not you in particular or what you said in particular.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 16:47

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 27 2009, 11:53)
I can imagine how sick he is of telling the same story of TB1 and 1973 over and over. No wonder he looks pissed off and is uncooperative.

But then you just think well why is he given the interview to promote the TB re-release if talking about it just annoys him to that extent? I mean the Mojo article is good, Mojo is aimed a different demographic of record buyer (the more mature listener) and the article will I think help some people reappraise an album they possibly think is just a bit of vacuous new age nooddling and will make them want to buy it again. Though arguably the Mojo article is the less important of the two considering a lot of Mojo readers know the story of TB probably anyway. Getting the big feature in Q was more of a coup for the record label since Q is the biggest selling music mag in the world and has a relatively young readership. Its not a magazine that has covered Mike much over the years though he's had a few bits and pieces in it. I don't think they've done a proper profile piece since TB2 came out. Its such a shame he decided to come across as a bit of a tosser. There will be a fair few young music fans reading that article having not possibly even heard of Mike who will just think 'who is this petulant twat? Its not a great piece of PR but then again I think Mike's long gone past the point of caring.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 03:42

Not sure you could use a 50 pence piece in Bermuda - but this Bermuda coin looks similar.    

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 04:05

Spot on with that last post Toby.It`s a shame Stuart Maconie is`nt still writing for Q,as I`m sure we would have seen a whole different interview and piece entirely if he`d been involved.And dare I say maybe a whole different Mike in some aspects.Btw nice to see a mention for Jaz Coleman`s orchestral work,I`m a big fan of his.I`d love to see him do an album arranging some of Mike`s work in the way that he did with Led Zep and The Doors etc.I`d love to see him work with Mike Oldfield come to that,even though it would be odds on doomed to disaster I guess.

@Wiga..Yeah I agree with you about Mike in the ways that you mention there.Personaly it`s something I`ve always liked about him,even though I do kind of find myself cringing for him sometimes.I`m purely speculating here,but do you think Mike actualy likes himself very much Wiga?Personaly I kind of feel that a lot of his own mis-trust for people is probably down to him having some deep seated feeling that nobody could possibly like him for who he actualy is.And consequently because of that he maybe goes out of his way sometimes to make himself appear more obnoxious than he actualy is.It`s not so much that he does`nt care how he may appear to people.More over that he does`nt really care for himself too much.It`s like the only true self belief he ever had came through his music if you like.And of course once you take that away,and the fact that he kind of views Mike Oldfield the musician as a whole seperate entity almost.Well yeah imo Mike Oldfield needs to create in order to feel good about himself is what I would say.I think he`s worked out that he does`nt need the ego trip or the adulation etc.But I`m not so sure that he`s yet worked out that there is`nt an alternative hobby,past-time or lifestyle out there that is going to replace it.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 06:01

Perhaps Mike & Johnny Rotton should Hook up for some more "Dairy Crest Butter Ads"   I think hes a Punk rocker in Spirit!!.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 06:13

Dirk - I think those impulses to have an obnoxious or grandiose moment could very well be a defence mechanism as you say. The characteristics and social behaviour that have been discussed on here though also resemble something along the Autistic spectrum to me. He comes across as a man who feels his joys and is relatively comfortable with the person he is. I just think he's wired differently and struggles to develop an interest in other people or knows how to belong.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 06:30

Ok Wiga thanks for the reply,and I agree with much of what you say I must admit..The Bermuda coin is great btw,I`m kinda` wondering now if that`s actual size there.How big`s yer laptop?  ;)
Profile PM 
126 replies since Aug. 22 2009, 10:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net