Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Q Magazine October 2009, Article about Mike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
smillsoid Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 22 2009, 21:01

Well, yes.  If Mike's a 'nutter' then we should all aspire to be nutters in my opinion!  Remeber 'Wonko the Sane' in Douglas Adams' "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"?  I bet that's how Mike feels.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2009, 23:57

I was just in Borders and two magazines caught my attention.  One was the Q magazine and the cover of Mojo.  Everyone here has read both... as I now have.  The one thing that I walk away thinking is....

WHO THE FUCK LET MIKE APPEAR IN PRINT IN A SPEEDO??????  He looks awful!!!!!  I don't mean to judge so harshly a man I respect!  Those pictures are embarrassing to say the least!!!!!  

I excepted a long time ago that Mike Oldfield is a genius and also a nutter!!!  Just like I except Beethoven was a genius and a complete prat who should have been hit back a fare few times!!!  

Mike is Mike and I'll still listen to his music!!!  I'm just going to have to buy industrial strength image remover to get that image of him in a speedo, out of my mind... YIKES!!!!  Don't worry... I had the same reaction when I saw John Nathan Turner in a speedo on a cruise once... AAAAAHHHHH!!!!  I needed therapy!!!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2009, 00:27

My, such emotion. I saw the dude buck naked holding a record like a discus......I almost hurled. But life went on without many broken dishes.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2009, 04:11

Quote (christopher @ Oct. 16 2009, 04:57)
I was just in Borders and two magazines caught my attention.  One was the Q magazine and the cover of Mojo.  Everyone here has read both... as I now have.  The one thing that I walk away thinking is....

WHO THE FUCK LET MIKE APPEAR IN PRINT IN A SPEEDO??????  He looks awful!!!!!  I don't mean to judge so harshly a man I respect!  Those pictures are embarrassing to say the least!!!!!  

I excepted a long time ago that Mike Oldfield is a genius and also a nutter!!!  Just like I except Beethoven was a genius and a complete prat who should have been hit back a fare few times!!!  

The nuttersess of the article is boosted by showing a some sort of chunky 56-year old Mike on his speedos (my hormones' taxes raise sooo fast) from out of the water,plus what he has said on during the interview and the way it was compiled together to write that piece :laugh:

It's genetics...being a genius has always come together with nutterness,it's part of the combo really.But there is more than genetics on this case,enviroment does interfere on such things.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2009, 00:25

Thanks for the responses.  

On the record cover Mike looked good.  He was in shape and toned.  Even when he did his show for Tb3 he looked good.  Mike was hot when he was younger.  I would have wanted to sleep with him.  Now... ummmm yeah NO!  

There does come a time when one shouldn't take their shirt off in pictures unless they stay in shape and toned or atleast in shape.  

Seeing Mike in a speedo is about as appealing as seeing another great man, Tom Baker, in a speedo!  

Britain Britain Britain Shamoo has landed and I'm wet with excitement!
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2009, 09:19

Who cares what Mike looks like in fucking Speedos?  He's a musician for Zark's sake!!!  All this stuff is irrelevant - ignore it - listen to his music.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2009, 15:59

LMAO!!!  That's a great response!  Yes his music is the most important aspect.  However, it is hard to ignore how embarrassing those pictures are and how I will have to scrub my brain to get them out.  

Now I shall put on Amarok and try to forget.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2009, 16:26

I wouldn't care if Mike was a twenty-five-tentacled mass of puss that had to spit chunks of mucus at his guitar in order to make music - as long as the music he produced was beautiful.  And it is.  Christ, this obsession with looks - it's like being back in the 1980's! :(

Imagine the terrible pictures/interviews you'd get if Beethoven was alive today!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 19 2009, 16:32

We are here 'cause we admire the music that Mike has created during all these years.That's the point!

(other possible qualities he has got it's just a bonus,really).

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2009, 21:04

Amen.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2009, 00:08

It is rather sad Isn't it? He is a very affable man and can be quite a good conversationalist when he chooses to be. But stonewalling journos plugging him is neither smart nor polite inmho. He could have friends, but i fear prefers to keep others at arms length. Such a shame mike, you have a lot to offer,
Cheers
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 20 2009, 17:44

Mylène Farmer, who I think is the #1 pop artist in France, never never gives an interview. Mike is not in pop music though, giving interviews might be more useful to his business than to a pop artist with radio coverage. I am realizing I'd be happier, I mean would enjoy more the "Mike Oldfield experience", if Mike had this policy too. It's like books adaptations for movies, most of the time I'm happier with just the book, just the core stuff.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2009, 22:38

Yawn.  Next topic?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 18:24

During the latest Q Awards...from   Q Magazine's twitter:

Q Editor Paul Rees kicks everything off with mentioning Johnny Borrel,Lily Allen, Mike Oldfield in a speedo and Noel Gallagher as highs&lows

The number one laughing moment of the year!
:laugh:

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 21:35

Tee-he.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 20:03

Hi all,
Mike is still sexy to me. He is getting sexier with age. Love him in Speedos! Flash more skin Mike, we gals love it!
Cheers :O
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 22:07

More nude pix!!! :p

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 22:46

I can't see what the fuss is about regarding this Q interview. Maybe he was in a bad mood that day? Maybe he got out of bed the wrong side that morning? In the recent Radio 2 interview with Mark Radcliffe he sounded chipper and happy to talk about Tubular Bells, so he doesn't always come across as a miserable bastard.

My theory is this: it's never bothered me if my favourite artists might be tossers, it's their music that I love and listen to. Mike created Hergest Ridge but my love of it is as much to do with me as it is him, how it makes me feel and the emotions it stirs. I'm eternally grateful he brought this beautiful piece of music into my life of course.

As for not liking music anymore, I can understand to a degree how he feels. Sometimes I get fed up with music and it's nice not to hear it for a while. Obviously Mike is a bit further down the road, but I've heard him say a similar thing in a previous interview, in that he prefers the sound of nature to music these days. Nothing wrong with that really, if he's happier listening to the rain falling rather than Sibelius then fair enough.

In any case, Q is a rag - always has been, always will be. Whilst Mojo got a similarly 'difficult' Mike in their interview, at least they treated their subject with some sympathy and understanding. Q's approach with their cheap jibes about 'rock nutters' is just rubbish journalism.
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 28 2009, 15:25

Quote (ex member 419 @ Oct. 28 2009, 00:03)
Hi all,
Mike is still sexy to me. He is getting sexier with age. Love him in Speedos! Flash more skin Mike, we gals love it!
Cheers :O

(female excitement mode on)

I've never imagined to see Mike that way after a very very long time,and from out of the blue,56-year-old Mr.Tubular Bells appears on a mag in speedos(love men in speedos really),party time here at home...okay,a bit chunky(Guinness boosted maybe),but at least he's not looking like Rick Wakeman,who's trying to loose a few stones for charity,ha ha!

Okay,we've got the '78 nude pix,Voyager,this Q one,but...never seen a pic of a shirtless Mike showing off his back properly...he has got that streching marks...curious to see that one day!

(female excitement mode off)

I was reading the interview once again last night,sometimes I have the impression that when Mike feels that the interviewer is driving he nuts,it's Mike's gremilins time to mess it up...but some other gets a decent piece on Mike to the general public(as well as us,the fans).

--------------

Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 31 2009, 23:51

Please check out the letter of the month from the brand new issue of Q...had a great laugh on that...hint hint. :laugh:

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
126 replies since Aug. 22 2009, 10:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net