Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Punk, Good or bad?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Major Gowen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 06 2008, 01:40

I think Killing Joke dropped the case against Nirvana when Kurt Cobain topped himself, obviously any bad feeling must have died down for Dave Grohl to play drums for them. The weird thing is I bought both Happy Talk and Wot by Captain Sensible back in 1982, but didn't really make the connection to The Damned - I was only about 12/13 at the time. Interesting to read that Strawberries sounds a bit timid on CD compared to the original vinyl (a scented sleeve as well - god I really miss vinyl). That seems to happen a lot with albums released originally in the vinyl era, eg Hergest Ridge springs to mind. I also have the Smash It Up Anthology so am currently listening to that. I'm fascinated by Curtain Call, it seems strange for a punk band to record a 17-minute track, but this sounds like another example of them confounding preconceptions. The Viv Stanshall voice-over on Lovely Money is highly amusing. I'm half expecting him to say 'b*ggered if I know' a la the Boxed version of Sailors Hornpipe.

I seem to recall XTC being mentioned somewhere at the beginning of the thread - can't let that go without praising Swindon's finest. Another example of a band who 'came' from punk (in a kind of roundabout way) and transcended any limitations of the genre. I particularly like their acoustic/pastoral early 80s phase with English Settlement and Mummer. Some tenuous connections with Mike as well, recorded at the Manor, tussled with Virgin a lot, quintessentially English ... er ... I'm sure I can think of a few more if I put my mind to it ...
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2008, 03:03

Well XTC are probably my favourite band ever.Kind of a close call with The Beatles for me.But as a songwriter Andy Partridge is definetly my number one,no question.There`s no one comes remotely close to him in fact for me.Apparently there was a story that Captian Sensible almost blew up some of the speakers/sound monitors in Andy Partridge`s infamous shed,while they were recording an album for Martin Newell there.Heh heh I don`t know what Partridge would`ve made of that?A few years after that Martin Newell also managed to have both Captain Sensible and Dave Gregory of XTC playing in his band at the same time.I think it was mainly as a tour of Japan or something in the late 90`s,but man I would`ve loved to have seen those two playing together.

Also back to a weird kind of Mike Oldfield link inadervetantly.Apparently whilst recording The Strawberries album back in 1982 The Damned slept in a couple of rooms just above the studio.Being of the rock star persuasion of course most of them would spend the most part of the daytime hours fast asleep in their beds.Until however they were woken very early one morning by a loud clanging noise coming from the street outside their windows.Where down below in the early twilight was the good Captain giving it hell for leather on a set of Tubular Bells with a cricket bat.. :D

The Damned got a lot of grief for releasing that Curtain Call track at the time.Punk boys go prog etc.But I agree it`s a really great piece of music I think. They only spent a few days recording it as well,and I think the whole double album only took about three weeks or something.Pretty much the same amount of time they spent on Strawberries.And then when you take into consideration the amount of time out of that they spent getting pissed and setting fire to each other etc.You know I`m frankly amazed they ever got anything finished at all really.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2008, 12:53

OMG This is wonderful,I just can`t stop playing it.Not officialy released till the middle of next month,although it can be downloaded from their official website(just $9:99 folks) here This is easily the best Damned album since Strawberries if not the best one ever.The first time I played it on saturday afternoon I did`nt know whether to cry,laugh,play air guitar,or dance around like an idiot.What an amazing relentless set of rocking/pop/psychedelic/goth tunes.So far above anything else in it`s own field it`s untrue.13 tracks and not a filler in sight,the whole 66 minutes is quite simply exhilerating start to finish.

Imo this album will mostly appeal to fans of their work in the early 80`s.Although that said there`s plenty of "Phantasmagorish" type fun to be had here as well.Vanian sounds better than ever,whilst Sensible is just on fire here,riffs,licks and solos just coming at you from all angles.The rhythm section is equaly as relentless,whilst the swirling retro keyboards of the wonderfuly named Monty Oxy-Moron are also fantastic..But the real strength of this album is not so much the fact that they sound like a revved up 60`s Deep Purple meets Pink Floyd/The Beatles and Hawkwind....But in the very strength of the songs themselves,which are imo some of the best they`ve ever composed.With styles ranging from just great fired up pop tunes like Diamonds,Little Miss Disaster,and A Nation Fit For Heroes..To tracks such as the wonderful Dr Woofenstien,Since I Met You, and Nature`s Dark Passion..Which would`nt sound out of place on some Rocky Horror/Sweeney Todd type soundtrack,except they`re a million times bigger and better..I can`t believe they recorded this album in about 9/10 days or something,the whole thing is quite breathtaking...

Just a quick word on the cover which looks a bit bland/boring there I guess.But apparently it`s kind of a "mirrored effect" thing....So Who`s Paranoid?..Geddit?...Ba-Da-Ba..Tssssh!
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2008, 15:39

Speaking of the Damned, I'm gonna put my kneck on the block to say.
As far as I'm concerned David Vanian kick started the whole gothic thing, you know the classic vampire wardrobe and make-up.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2008, 04:18

The thing I like about Vanian is he kind of lives that whole life for real.Whilst at the same time he seems always willing to make fun of himself/have a laugh at his own expense etc.I know when you start reading stuff about the band online or in the press.It does`nt take a genius to realise he`s always been kind of seperate/detatched from the rest of his bandmates.More often than not the guy`s hardly mentioned a lot of the time by people who have worked with him.And then when he is mentioned, you know he is`nt always painted in the best of lights I must admit.I know when Paul Gray was "dropped" from the band in the late 90`s,he was a little bit dissapointed that Sensible had left the job entirely to Vanian at the time.Or In Paul Gray`s very words in fact.."A person that he(sensible) had little respect for as a human being"..Interesting to note that since that incident Sensible  and Gray are still good mates as well,which kind of makes you wonder a little bit!?..That said the band just would`nt be the same without him,and he certainly shines on this new album.But then they all do.

Anyway speaking of "living the life for real" I guess,here`s a photograph of Dave`s Motor The comment at the bottom of the page there was made by a friend of mine.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2008, 06:49

The Fletcher Munsun Curve(whoever they are) Have made a highly amusing low budget video for The Damned song Diamonds from their new album here.
Profile PM 
25 replies since July 31 2008, 01:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net