Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Punk< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CuNimb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 19 2003, 05:20

In recent interviews that I've heard from Mike, he states his dislike of Punk music and seems to consider it the antithesis of everything he stands for. Whilst Mike is my fave, I also like punk. Are there any other dyed in the wool MO fans out there who also like a bit of "three minute thrash"?

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2003, 06:56

well, I like some good old punk-stuff from time to time (and also visitin' some close-to-club-gigs in my hometown, too) and also ignore the stupid brabbling that comes from the Old man since years......

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2003, 10:59

Although i consider myself open to most stlyes of music,i just cannot stand Punk,it has nothing at all to like about it,for me that is!!!,useless lyrics that you can't hear anyway,shouted by a bunch of people who can't really play more than 3 chords!!!! :zzz: sorry,just not my thing.
Profile PM 
marvindj Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2003, 10:46

I too couldn't stand punk in 1977, thought it unmusical and trashy. partly too because i could never get to see my favourites, ELO, Mike Oldfield, Genesis & Floyd on various pop shows. But you find out later in life, when the teenybop period wanes, that the serious music is never going to be on the pop shows and that it's only flavour of the month, music for the masses they show anyway. looking back at things as a 40 year old its amazing finding all the album's i had ignored. I hve managed to stay with a youthful outlook and am a big fan of  techno from the likes of Dave Clarke, Richie Hawtin etc. All came from Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream, Human League and others anyway. I have managed also to keep listening to the ELO, Mike and Floyd, Early Genesis and all Steve Hackett as well as picking up on new stuff by the likes of Radiohead and Coldplay, Boards of Canada. Has anyone went back to Ska. The Specials were incredible and Madness as clever as be-dammned.
I think the real point i want to make here is, dont cut yourself off from any particular type of music, there's good and bad everywhere. mike Oldfield has had his off days too and certainly something i love may not be someone elses cup of tea. Look back at some of the old stuff by all artists from an adult point of view and see how many so called pop acts or punk acts were actually making good records. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE LATEST SPARKS ALBUM  - LIL BEETHOVEN. Once you get past the minimal lyrics you hear some great music and a great voice. How many bands do you know out there who can make a comeback of sorts and still be defining a style that is unique.

--------------
I also like beer and i also like cheese !
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 13 2003, 07:10

I guess there are two kinds of punk: the "let's make some rock 'n' roll the way we can do it" punk a la Ramones, and the "let's put an end to rock" a la the Sex Pistols. I personally loathe the latter style of punk, but I'm quite a fan of lots of styles of music, and that includes punk. I mean, bands like the Ramones have the energy, the spontaneity, and they can make music after all. I see no reason to hate bands like these. They just want to have some fun. Now, pompous idiots that think they have the competence to say "I hate Pink Floyd" as if anyone gave a damn, these deserve to be shot.

I'm also a big fan of Wire's debut album, "Pink Flag". It's not exactly punk. They are British art students that are making a very snobby and pompous form of punk. It's very fun! Plus, Ex Lion Tamer rocks!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
4 replies since Sep. 19 2003, 05:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net