I'm waiting for the official release 10  [28.57%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Promo CD poll, Have you listened to it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 01 2007, 07:15

Most people here are aware that a promotional CD of Music of the Spheres was sent out a month or so back. How many people here have a copy (some are for sale on Ebay) or have listened to it somehow. How many just want to wait and enjoy the official release (assuming it ever happens! )

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 01 2007, 07:38

A few weeks ago I've downloaded the promo from internet.
It will be nice to know how many of you did.
I have been listening to it every single day since and for sure I will buy the album when available.
Besides, in my opinion it's a shame that so little discussion about MOTS is allowed even on this forum.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2007, 19:52

My situation is exactly the same as oblique. Heard the promo on as mp3 files, loved it, absolutely going to buy MotS when it comes out... when it comes out. :D :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 04:05

I was torn. TORN, I tell you. Not over whether or not to download the MOTS files, but over whether or not to admit to it. But I believe I've already mentioned my weak-will, elsewhere. For weeks, I've been a tad distracted from my normal activities since I've had the new album (and what a wondrously melodious and satisfyingly sweet album you are, too! ) on nearly constant play while trying to stop myself from chortling maniacally and referring to MOTS as 'My Precious'.

So, yeah, I kinda like it.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 05:15

If its a promo CD, can we expect the final version to be massively different from the version thats' been released?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 05:54

aaron, theres another thread about the promo CD vs final which I've just given a little bump to.

I also have listened to the promo CD version and, like Sweetpea, I've listened to it rather a lot 'cos I think it is fantastic.

It feels a bit bizarre to realise that the CD isn't even out yet but I think I've already listened to it more times than Light+Shade, Tres Lunas, Millenium Bell, Guitars and TBIII combined!

Oblique, I'm also a bit puzzled why there is no discussion about the album going on. Clearly from the results so far the majority of people here, all fans of Mike and his music, have already listened to this version. Strange
:/

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 06:20

As far as I'm aware, there's no discussion going on because the album hasn't been officially released.  I don't think people should be encouraged to hunt down the downloads before the official release as in theory they might not pay for the album if they can get it for free.

But even if the downloads weren't available, I'd still like to see a forum where we can talk about the stuff that has been made public - such as the sample clips and interviews.  We could also have threads where we talk about our hopes for the album!  it doesn't have to be all about the promo version (although I guess it probably would end up like that).

At the moment, people are just discussing it in the News forum, which means we end up with a few really long threads instead of several slightly shorter threads organised in a dedicated MotS forum.  We know the forum will be created at some stage, why not do it now and just put a disclaimer at the top to ask that people do not go into detail about music that has not been officially released yet?  It just needs to be moderated, and I'm sure a couple of us would be happy to help if needed (I would, but I've offered to help with moderation in the past and didn't get a reply, so I'm not going to push it).

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 06:46

Quote (Moz @ Nov. 02 2007, 10:20)
I don't think people should be encouraged to hunt down the downloads before the official release as in theory they might not pay for the album if they can get it for free.

You really think anyone here at tb.net is *not* going to buy the album? I'm sure looking forward to buying my copy! Even if that was the case such a person would surely just download the album illegally once it is officially released anyway, the availability of the promo version making no difference.

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 07:20

I am sure the vast majority of people here will buy the CD.  I'd like to say everyone but I simply don't know people well enough to know that for sure.  You can't please everyone all of the time, so perhaps some people won't like the new album and choose not to buy it for that reason - rather than because they downloaded it.

But this doesn't mean that other people won't join this forum specifically to ask where they can download a yet-to-be-released album, especially if they were to see others talking about it.  If someone searches Google for Mike Oldfield, this is one of the sites that comes up.  I think it's a valid concern.

There is also the fact that Universal have been cooperating with the board admins and discussing an unreleased album here could jeopardise that.  Personally I wouldn't want to take that risk - would you?

It's a bit like saying that it's OK for a child to open their Christmas presents a few weeks early because they're going to get them anyway.  It's very disappointing the release date has changed but that's life.  I'm just glad we have a good album to look forward to (going by the clips I have heard so far).

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 07:48

Quote (Moz @ Nov. 02 2007, 11:20)
But this doesn't mean that other people won't join this forum specifically to ask where they can download a yet-to-be-released album, especially if they were to see others talking about it.  If someone searches Google for Mike Oldfield, this is one of the sites that comes up.  I think it's a valid concern.

There is also the fact that Universal have been cooperating with the board admins and discussing an unreleased album here could jeopardise that.  Personally I wouldn't want to take that risk - would you?
If you look at the wording of the poll, I quite deliberately do not mention illegal downloads. The fact is that an official promotional release CD has been distributed of this album, copies of which are (I presume quite legally) for sale on Ebay. As a result, a number of people have quite legally been listening to the promotional CD. It is surely therefore not unreasonable for it to be discussed on a Mike Oldfield music discussion forum?

As the administrators have already pointed out, if you search for music of the spheres on google to try and find an illegal download copy there is hardly any need to visit tubular.net! However, I agree we wouldn't want to be seen to be encouraging illegal activity.

I'll shut up for a bit now (do some work Matthew you lazy sod)  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 08:29

As the administrators have already pointed out, if you search for music of the spheres on google to try and find an illegal download copy there is hardly any need to visit tubular.net! However, I agree we wouldn't want to be seen to be encouraging illegal activity.

AFAIK downloading music from a non-exist album is not illegal.
I'm not talking about making physical copies or spreading.....

Coming back to your question of this being the final version: the demo of The Millennium Bell could hardly be called the final product if you take into concideration how much was altered before the final release. Maybe you are right and this time the demo sounds more like the endproduct, on the other hand there's no knowing for sure, is there?

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 13:08

Quote (oblique @ Nov. 02 2007, 13:29)
AFAIK downloading music from a non-exist album is not illegal.

It depends what you mean by non-existent. If the music doesn't exist, then there's no problem. If, however, the music has been created by someone, it is their intellectual property, and it's their right to be able to say what's done with it. It doesn't matter whether they've released it as an album or not, and they don't have to have registered it anywhere as existing - merely creating it and having proof of that is enough.

That right can be given up, or it can be transferred to someone else. In the case of Music Of The Spheres, Mike has sold that right to Universal, so it is they who decide what is ok to do with it, and the decision they make is protected by law. So if they say "nobody is allowed to make copies of this" that means it's illegal to make copies of it. Downloading it creates a copy on your computer, therefore it is making a copy which, unless Universal have given you permission to do, is illegal.

Arguments that nobody seems to care, that it actually helps promote the album, that it's their own fault for releasing promo copies so long before the release and so on are entirely separate from that - they regard matters of common sense rather than of law (a bit like how leaving your car in the most dodgy area of town with the keys in the ignition is a matter of common sense...it would hardly be surprising if someone were to drive off in it, but that doesn't mean that they weren't breaking the law by doing it).

Discussion on Music Of The Spheres has so far been deliberately kept in the news area. Part of the strategy behind that was based on the album being released in a few days from now...which, as we all know, hasn't happened! So...perhaps it's time for a bit of a rethink on that one.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 15:45

Quote (Matt @ Nov. 02 2007, 07:48)
copies of which are (I presume quite legally) for sale on Ebay

Don't such items come with a 'not for sale' proviso?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
sidney Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 21:06

Can I just ask, if Mike Oldfield has sold the album to Universal, then he has his money, so if a Mike Oldfield fan where to inadvertantly accidently download the "file" from a "file to file" "sharing" website, that person wouldnt really be doing his (or her) heroe (Mike Oldfield) any real harm would they? The only people who would be getting "hurt" would be Universal, and I often find myself looking at the music industry mogules and e

--------------
It is not my intention to provoke thought, It is my intention to provoke a thoughtful reaction. (can someone put that in Latin for me?)
Profile PM 
sidney Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 21:18

Sorry, pressed the wrong button before I finished, I often find myself looking at the music industry mogules and think about how many people they are ripping off, their own artists included, Simon Cowels shoes cost more than my car, back to my point, I cant help thinking that sometimes, an artist may unintentionally  deliberately accidently allow their own work to find its way onto such sites. Now I in know way want anyone to think I am accusing Mike Oldfield of not taking care, but you have to admit, he is pretty good with computers and he will know pretty much all there is to know when comes down to what you can and cant do musically on the old qwerty and the net.

--------------
It is not my intention to provoke thought, It is my intention to provoke a thoughtful reaction. (can someone put that in Latin for me?)
Profile PM 
sidney Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 21:23

Sorry about my spelling, I am drunk, and I cant concentrate cos I am listening to Music of the Spheres and it keeps whisping me off to another land, what a brilliant album.

--------------
Profile PM 
sidney Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 21:34

Listen, everyone, I have to be quick here, I love you all, I love this site and have really enjoyed your views and company but the group administrator is probably gonna nock me off again and delete my posts, so I just want yous to know this is the best music forum on the web anywhere and I thought Mike Oldifield was an aqcuired taste, hes got millions of fans, Iam rambling again, gotta go, I feel the scrutiny of the administrator, sorry if any of my posts wind you up, thats not my intention. Mind you, if he doesnt nock me off, and someone replies, It would be rude of me not to hang around a little longer.

--------------
Profile PM 
sidney Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 22:24

"intelluctual property", if only that bloke who invented the telephone had known about that one before he handed his patent to Alexandra Graham Bell....  and then died before the Court case.

--------------
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2007, 05:39

Korgscrew:
It doesn't matter whether they've released it as an album or not, and they don't have to have registered it anywhere as existing - merely creating it and having proof of that is enough.

I didn't want this to end up in a discussion on whether it's right or not to download. I agree with you that ethically it's a form of stealing when the owner doesn't agree on you making the download.
It's just a fact that here in the Netherlands the law says that making copies or spreading files on the net is illegal, and downloading isn't (just as crooked as our law where it's allowed to buy softdrugs, where selling them is illegal).

--------------
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2007, 13:12

Only fourteen reactions?
Guess we'll have to give this a boost....

--------------
Profile PM 
39 replies since Nov. 01 2007, 07:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net