I'm waiting for the official release 10  [28.57%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Promo CD poll, Have you listened to it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
3Wheeler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 07 2007, 16:38

On the Yahoo News Page Today was a Item that stated 60% of the Punters Downloading the new Pay What you Like Offer for the New "Radiohead" Album decided to Fork out Nothing!! :cool:  So Obviously theres a Market out there for Freebies given half a Chance ...    Maybe Universal should of jumped on the Bandwagon for MOTs then offered a Deluxe CD DVDversion Later with extras for the Fans and ones Hooked in off the Download  :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 07 2007, 22:13

Quote (oblique @ Nov. 03 2007, 10:39)
I didn't want this to end up in a discussion on whether it's right or not to download.

Neither did I ;)

Clearly the law differs depending on where you are; while making copies (including making a copy by downloading) for private use is legal in the Netherlands whether you own an official copy of the original or not, a large number of countries have no such law, and in those countries, it's illegal.

What Universal's lawyers would say if legions of Mike's fans flocked to the Netherlands to download Music Of The Spheres, I don't know :D

As for special editions, I reckon they ought to release one in that tin that everyone seems to like.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2007, 08:29

You mean the one thats specifically designed to be "old tin box" proof?  :p

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2007, 08:31

You mean the one thats specifically designed to be "old tin box" proof?  :p

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2007, 16:55

Even if I did have a promo and / or advance copy (and I don't), legal or illegal, I certainly wouldn't advertise it on an Oldfield forum. There's something quite disrespectful about this discussion, which I can't quite put my finger on; I have bad vibes though.  :/

What did we do before computers? There would be no downloading and all fans would patiently wait for an official release, queue up in the shop and pay for a tangible physical product. Don't you find that these days, music is just so disposable? I find the value of music is being deteriorated, largely due to activities noted within this thread. Maybe the industry itself is to blame; overpricing the final product and overhyping mediocrity account for 2 sins of many within music circles. Maybe this is payback time. But think on. Claiming back your hard-earned via the practicing of dark arts on the PC, will itself backfire. Artists will suffer through a lack of investment, quality will be compromised and many of the best artists will never get a chance to make it! Remember the old adage? You get what you pay for (unless your a Radiohead fan of course, in which case you get what you didn't pay for)!

I wholeheartedly agree with Richard's assessment here and support the manner in which Admin. have handled the issue. I am really looking forward to MOTS and although delays are a nuisance, it simply whets the appetite in anticipation of something I feel will be rather special.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 08 2007, 17:51

Quote (Baggiesfaninessex @ Nov. 08 2007, 21:55)
What did we do before computers? There would be no downloading and all fans would patiently wait for an official release, queue up in the shop and pay for a tangible physical product. Don't you find that these days, music is just so disposable?

I sympathise with much of what you say. The problem here is that the combination of technology with decisions made by Univerasl and Mike means that we have a situation where we have no option to buy the physical product that many of us want to buy, even though it exists, but there seems to be an incredibly easy option to have a listen to what it might contain.

Delaying the official release of the CD makes less and less sense to me as each week passes.

:/

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2007, 21:40

Baggies Fanines Sex (atleast that's the way I read it :-)) said "Don't you find that these days, music is just so disposable? I find the value of music is being deteriorated, largely due to activities noted within this thread."

To me the value of music is in the music itself and if it is disposable then the music is naff! I find the technological advancements to be breathtaking and enjoy the new forms of distributing music, even with all the headaches that do come with it. Of course I am not a musician who is creating music for sale so my perspective is one-sided.

It's good that online downloading of music has shaken the music scene and caused a reassessment of who really should benefit from music (the listeners, creators or distributors). It's early days yet, but I hope the musicians start to get what they deserve (across the board) and customers pay what is a respectable price for music they actually want and/or love.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2007, 22:24

Quote (timshen @ Nov. 09 2007, 21:40)
Baggies Fanines Sex (atleast that's the way I read it :-)) said "Don't you find that these days, music is just so disposable? I find the value of music is being deteriorated, largely due to activities noted within this thread."

To me the value of music is in the music itself and if it is disposable then the music is naff! I find the technological advancements to be breathtaking and enjoy the new forms of distributing music, even with all the headaches that do come with it. Of course I am not a musician who is creating music for sale so my perspective is one-sided.

It's good that online downloading of music has shaken the music scene and caused a reassessment of who really should benefit from music (the listeners, creators or distributors). It's early days yet, but I hope the musicians start to get what they deserve (across the board) and customers pay what is a respectable price for music they actually want and/or love.

Blimey - I respect what you say; always have done, but this is just a little arrogant. I must also apologise for the name too - sorry it's so tough to understand.  :/  Having said that, what the hell does Timshen mean? :/

You make a huge assumption that you should decide the value of music and that this is your way of 'getting even'. That's the way it comes across to me.

You can't put a value on the effort employed by a musician. One person's crap is another's gold. Beauty remains in the ear of the beholder and for that reason, I don't begrudge paying Oldfield full whack (or more) for any release.

eBay is a great example. New releases (copies) might go for pennies. But a deleted original? True fans pay 1000s.  ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2007, 00:18

Sorry Baggiesfaninessex for seeming to come across in an arrogant way. I fully believe that you should pay the musicians and not merely decide what you should pay yourself. However, I feel that,in general, the old model of going through a distributor (not that that is wrong in itself) has been unfair to both musicians and consumers. My hope is that the present new methods and debate the internet has raised will lead to a better solution and i'm excited about the prospects. Maybe we're coming from different angles in our discussion about the "value" of music -  totally agree with you that one man's gold is anothers crap and vice verca.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2007, 09:12

The proposed early release date passed today and looking on CD Wow it hasnt revised the Date from the 12th its simply listed at £8-99 i think.. like all the other available discs.. Could a batch have slipped through  ???  .. Its an overseas operation so who knows ?? :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2007, 10:56

Just because we "can" download the CD, doesn't mean we "should".

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2007, 16:32

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Nov. 12 2007, 15:56)

Correct, but what you seem to imply (that approx 3/4 of tubular.net readers are morally deficient) is naive and pompous.

As many have tried to point out, the world has changed. The old model of big corporate businesses thinking they have complete control over the distribution of new releases such as MOTS just is not the case any more. Pumping out "promotional copies" of a CD 5 months before it ends up being actually released and expecting no one to distribute copies of it is stupidity at its extreme.

MOTS is complete as far as I know. If I could buy a copy, I would. The record company know they have made available a copy of the CD and that is now available to buy on ebay and also distributed and available on the net. Why is it not available in any way for me to buy? I love Mikes music. I buy his works and will continue to do so but I dispair at the actions of the music industry at times.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2007, 19:35

Quote (Matt @ Nov. 12 2007, 16:32)
Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Nov. 12 2007, 15:56)

Correct, but what you seem to imply (that approx 3/4 of tubular.net readers are morally deficient) is naive and pompous.

As many have tried to point out, the world has changed. The old model of big corporate businesses thinking they have complete control over the distribution of new releases such as MOTS just is not the case any more. Pumping out "promotional copies" of a CD 5 months before it ends up being actually released and expecting no one to distribute copies of it is stupidity at its extreme.

MOTS is complete as far as I know. If I could buy a copy, I would. The record company know they have made available a copy of the CD and that is now available to buy on ebay and also distributed and available on the net. Why is it not available in any way for me to buy? I love Mikes music. I buy his works and will continue to do so but I dispair at the actions of the music industry at times.

Wow!  You are very good at calling people names.

First, you tell me I'm naive and pompous.   Then you say that 3/4 of this forum is morally deficient (your words, not mine). And finally, that the record labels are stupid.

I am simply stating my opinion.  Perhaps it should have been worded --- "Just because I can download the CD, doesn't mean that I should".

For whatever reason, Mike and his record label have agreed to delay the release of MOTS.  I will abide by his/their decision.

It's posts like yours that force me back into lurker mode.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2007, 00:35

Quote (oblique @ Nov. 07 2007, 19:12)
Only fourteen reactions?

Yes, because I haven't had a chance to download the promo ...

Is there an official link where one can download this promo ?

I don't have any music sharing software installed so that's no option for me to be able to download this music.

And yes, me too will definitely buy the cd when it comes out.

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2007, 02:40

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Nov. 13 2007, 00:35)
Wow!  You are very good at calling people names.

It's posts like yours that force me back into lurker mode.

Apologies Bilbo, my post was more offensive than it should have been. Please do not lurk on my account.

I am frustrated by the current situation and that frustration resulted in a bit of a rant!

--------------
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2007, 05:51

I don't have any music sharing software installed so that's no option for me to be able to download this music.

Neither did I. It was my own curiosity that forced me to do so.

approx 3/4 of tubular.net readers are morally deficient

Must be my English. Moral, what's that?  ;)

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2007, 14:21

Morals?

It's a type of beer brewed in Oxford!
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2007, 06:05

:D

Morally deficient = In need of a beer.

In that case the statement must be true.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2007, 07:39

Check out the pictures here:
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n55145641

Even it's in Japanese,interesting to find out that MO.com would offer lots of things to fans there...let's see if when the album finally sees the light of day,they'll keep the original plan!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2007, 03:46

Judging by that Picture the CD has been produced and currently is boxed up in a warehouse somewhere .Its a bit frustrating to say the least !! :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
39 replies since Nov. 01 2007, 07:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net