Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: project of a lifetime< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 20 2012, 13:12

Can we have John Cleese do a bouncy "trampoline" in lieu of the echoed "mandoline" for the Olympmix?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 20 2012, 14:54

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ June 19 2012, 17:18)
If it's meant to represent British music over the decades, why is Pink Floyd not in there? and why is Michael Jackson in there?

I guess maybe they had to choose one prog rock track to represent the best of the genre and that was perhaps easily recognisable. As for Michael Jackson. Pass. A fair few Brits had a part in his career? No idea other than that though.
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 15:56

:D

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
Blackabyss Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 11:39

More news on two sides from the man himself-

Oldfield says: "This collection is my own personal choice of what I consider to be my best instrumental and songwriting works to date. These tracks may, or may not have been my most critically or commercially successful at the time but in my heart of hearts and in my judgement they represent the closest I have come to my best creativity."[I]

Stereoboard
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: July 04 2012, 10:09

Quote (TOBY @ June 20 2012, 14:54)
Quote (qjamesfloyd @ June 19 2012, 17:18)
If it's meant to represent British music over the decades, why is Pink Floyd not in there? and why is Michael Jackson in there?

I guess maybe they had to choose one prog rock track to represent the best of the genre and that was perhaps easily recognisable. As for Michael Jackson. Pass. A fair few Brits had a part in his career? No idea other than that though.

Is Billie Jean King, the tennis player, making an appearance?
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: July 24 2012, 09:34

"ALL THE BELLS"        Friday 27th  

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news....15.html

http://www.allthebells.com/home/

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 03:14

Like the concept behind it, that no two people's experience of this "work" will be the same. Reminds me of the concept behind John Cage's 4'33".

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 15:03

I am reliably informed by someone who has seen the dress rehearsal of the Olympic Opening Ceremony this Friday that Mike himself does indeed feature at some point!
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 15:10

To Strike the large Bell I presume :).... :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 25 2012, 15:21

Cudsie, your friend should know what #savethesurprise means

Who knows what Friday will bring (edit: ok, Danny Boyle might :D )

But judging from the reactions from anyone who has seen OOC rehearsals it is surely worth watching to find out :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 18:18

On Twitter,Molly Oldfield was reported to be there at the dress rehearsal earlier tonite...hint hint?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 11:30

All the latest releases put back until the 30th of July for  manufacturing reasons?  I begin to wonder! ;)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 

Posted: July 26 2012, 15:24

Quote (3Wheeler @ July 25 2012, 20:10)

...and it makes sense...Bell > Tubular Bells > MO.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 16:41

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ July 26 2012, 20:24)
Quote (3Wheeler @ July 25 2012, 20:10)

...and it makes sense...Bell > Tubular Bells > MO.

So a large sticker "as seen at the Olympics" can be stuck on?

I so hope he plays something new, that Danny Boyle has got bored with Underworld and asked Mike for a theme to replace Muse's effort.

But I'm guessing it will be a 45 second guitar riff on In Dulci Jubilo whilst the world watches a pastiche of merry men and a May Pole.q

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 26 2012, 16:45

hmm interesting news.. looking to see this.. :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
chrisdewey Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 02:46

Quote (olracUK @ July 26 2012, 16:41)
I so hope he plays something new... But I'm guessing it will be a 45 second guitar riff on In Dulci Jubilo

All I can say is you won't be disappointed :D
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 03:09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpJMOb4TZGc

Sure he has not flown in for a 5 second Cameo :)/

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: July 27 2012, 06:12

It's going to be worth the wait ;)

Even my mum,who's not into MO(and she came with me to one of Night of Proms 2006 concerts),when I told about the Olympic thingie,"Wow,that's top class!"

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 06:39

That's a nice clip 3Wheeler...to see him play the bells like that would be great...or the guitar, of course...anything actually...

I just can't get over how important this is...It is somehow more than a show or a concert. It is a 'ceremony' after all and yes, there are plenty of others represented too, but I am so very happy that he has been recognised.  Worldwide.  For having the imagination, tenacity and expertise to create Tubular Bells.  Patience is a virtue it seems.

Really looking forward to tonight now, and awaiting the delivery of the 6 Album boxed set too!

bee :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 15:22

I happened to need to go to my local HMV earlier this week - concerning a game that hadn't worked - and some of what I saw whilst hanging about has begun to make more sense over the last day or so.

Naturally, I gave the MO divider a quick once over and of the five items there, there were newly stocked special editions of the first three albums.  Fair enough, I reasoned; new products may soon appear to tempt buyers to extend their collections.  Incantations took a few weeks for a couple of copies to arrive but the prospect of a Best Of... to place alongside new releases was a better sign I reckoned.  At the end of one aisle, meanwhile, was a display with one side devoted to recent Special Editions of all types and the top row featuring Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn.  I'm not sure if I can remember recent discourse on the packaging, since last year anyway, but they are all now presented without the clear plastic cover and with the Special Edition peel-off label.  These aren't as good, I think we all agreed, but we weren't alone.   I can't tell you what last year's best seller was, but Nirvana's Nevermind must have been up there and that apparently didn't warrant the extra few pence.

Anyway, clearly all good: HMV must be expecting a bit of extra traffic this time with Two Sides out as well, so I speculated to a friend down south that their local branch must be simlarly appointed with Oldfield regalia - it was.
[Incidentally, as I can't recall this discussed here yet, so far as UK retailers go - not many of them left :/  - when they have placed Tubular Bells into the likes of 2 for £10 sections, in the last two years they would appear to have exhausted their supplies of Virgin era CDs and the Mercury single CD edition, with the 4 tracks, is on offer]

And then the trickle of delightful titbits that have led us towards the Olympics opening ceremony.  I doubt that the retailers have known that much of tonight's events but would guess that Universal have had a hint or two from Mike and passed it on!  New fans, start here! :)  :)  :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
40 replies since June 17 2012, 03:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net