Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Prog Rock" infestation.....how did it begin?, Where is MO's role in this?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 12 2009, 20:22

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 11 2009, 21:16)
Well by golly, since I started this thread and most of you participating, I've known a long time maybe you can help identify a virus that has caused me 3 -Complete- system restores on my Windows XP sp2 computer. Thank God for external hard drives!(I know, the virus may reside there, but I scanned it every time, no infection,  main drive C:, yes) Anyway this virus attacks always when I'm online. Thinking about it, it also always happens using Mozilla Firefox which I seem to prefer over Internet Explorer for no reason I can think of. This virus makes the screen wallpaper (I prefer Eddy or a hot babe) turn into a blue background with a red sign saying "Your Computer is infected!" The rest is a circular dead end. It installs an icon in the bottom right corner which continually tells you to click to D/L a no name anti virus program. Clicking X does no good. Saying yes you get a user ID credit card enrollment screen. You can X out of that but it still blocks all applications from running. Except, I can surf the net, and run a virus scan(took 3 hours but after "moving the infected files to the vrus vualt" or deleting them, the lock-up remained. Clever virus. The only one to ever cripple a PC of mine(I've had about 6). So, I'm up again, bare-bones with my fav. minimum stuff re-installed. Any PC experts know this virus? I wish I could have removed it, but it's quicker in the end to pop in the restore DVD.
Jim

Scatter, it sounds as though you've got the Win Antivirus virus, which is nasty and very hard to get rid of. Look it up on wikipedia. I had it some years ago, and it took me ages to rid it from my computer. Eventually Microsoft's Windows Defender found it and got rid of it, although it didn't even notice it at first! There's a lot of "anti virus" software out there which is nothing more than a trojan for malicious software.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2009, 22:44

Thanks, I did a lookup. This was similar to "Scareware" but far more vicious than what I just read. Different and more simple screen. It took over my PC completely, stopping me from doing almost anything. I will not use Mozilla anymore, as I disticly recall all three infections were while using it. From now on I'm going to install all those windows updates for protection(I hope. They come from Microsoft don't they?).
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2009, 22:58

Looking deeper, I think it was Antivirus 360. Thanks again for that info.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2009, 09:33

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 12 2009, 22:58)
Looking deeper, I think it was Antivirus 360. Thanks again for that info.
Jim

You're welcome! Firefox isn't the wonderful alternative to Internet Explorer that so many think it is!
Profile PM 
23 replies since Aug. 08 2009, 03:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net