Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: PROG has a review of Man on the Rock< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Elf Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 25 2014, 10:36

The newest issue of Classic Rock Magazine's sister mag Prog has been out for a while, but I only downloaded it today. And lo and behold: They have reviewed Man on the Rocks!

Some excerpts:

"Man on the Rocks is his most unashamedly commercial, accessible, collection of songs since 1991's Heaven's Open."
"Fans of Oldfield's more adventurous output might consider this album the creative antithesis of his 1970s pomp, but the simple approach seems to have reinvigorated his songwriting. Because even if Sailing's broad strokes and singalong chorus might cloy on the palates of some, there's no doubt that its a hit waiting to happen"

About Luke Spiller:

"His versatility is well-showcased on the title track, where the contemplative acoustic opening verses build into a sky-scraping crescendo, with Spiller howling as Oldfield's wall of guitars and a gospel-style choir lift the whole affair into stadium rock territory"

He wraps it up with:

"Such is its instant accessibility and MOR stylings, you're bound to question whether this album even belongs in a magazine dedicated to progressive music."

"What really counts is that he's done it as well as he's done anything in the past 30 years."
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 09:23

Past 30 years? So, that includes Amarok, Songs of Distant Earth, TB2? or is he just talking about songs?
Profile PM 
MasterGeek.MX Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2014, 13:14

I think MOTR will be like Earth Moving. Not much relevat compared to the rest of the Mike's work, but remarkable.

--------------
Hailings from a Mexican Mike Oldfield's fan.

Y chingue su madre el que no le guste Campanas Tubulares!
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2014, 08:29

There's a less generous review here too:

http://www.musicomh.com/reviews/albums/mike-oldfield-man-rocks

But it does conclude:

"The quality of that guitaring though is impressive enough to keep listeners coming back; the old master may not be as abundantly creative as he once was but there’s life in the old fart yet."
Profile PM WEB 
Argiers Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2014, 13:15

My deluxe box set arrived yesterday. Surely a cock up by Universal? In short, I love it. It has taken me back to the 80's songs period. You simply can't compare and contrast Mike's work with itself. The man's ability to come up with spine tingling melodies continues to astound me and I've been addicted to his music since four years old. I'm now 39. I think at the moment I almost prefer the demo version. It's great to hear him sing something new rather than replaying Heaven's Open. I await the coloured vinyl with excitement. Also, hopefully, a couple more reissues later too. Discovery and Killing Fields or Islands....? Thanks Mike.

--------------
Buggered if I know...
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2014, 03:54

The latest edition of Classic Rock Magazine also has a review of the album. Excerpts:

"Predictably, perhaps. a fair portion of Man on the Rocks sounds exactly like what it is - rich man's yacht rock. While the playing is never less than exemplary, the reliance on mid-tempo numbers, usually designed to lock into a thrusting chorus, means that it suffers from a lack of urgency. And Spiller's voice, though decent enough, is hardly a revelation, which only adds to the routine feel of songs like Minutes and Following the Angels.

Still, there's enough to celebrate too. Not least Castaway, and impassioned mini-epic that finds Spiller tearing open his heart like a young Freddie Mercury while Oldfield rams up the drama with a guitar solo as brutish as it is articulate

All in all, Man on the Rocks is a passable, though risk-free, return to work"
Profile PM 
5 replies since Feb. 25 2014, 10:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net